1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

United Airlines has doctor dragged off flight because he refuses to "voluntarily" be removed.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Refuse? Sure.

More often lead to some temporary expense that may not seem to make sense financially but solves the problem for the customer.

Lead to mistreatment? Never.

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It doesn't, but everyone wants there to be a perfect victim.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

On what planet can airport security officers of ANY kind administer drugs other than naloxone in some states?
    EMS, medical professionals, maybe. Cops? Nay. You can't do that without medical training.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You choose your battles.
    I think it's in the budget...

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

• Like Like x 2
  6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I agree ^ regarding his physical removal; many people are overlooking the fact that it was not UA employees who removed the man. I did hear and/or read a report that at least one of the officers (not sure he's police or security) was reassigned to administrative duties. And yes, that was widely overlooked in the rush to unfairly put the full blame on UA.

United Airlines's fiasco prompts apology, suspension; officer is put on leave

The doctor isn't completely blameless here. The wise decision/action would've been for him to leave the plane once the officers showed up. But the decision to physically remove him in front of the other passengers wasn't a wise decision.

It's also important to remember the situation likely never would've reached that point had UA made some different, and better, decisions from the start.

--------------------------

Another twist....UA, and other airlines to be fair, uses a computer program to select the least inconvenienced passengers when bumping becomes necessary. The process makes sense, until it takes into consideration the cost of the ticket and the passenger's frequent flyer miles.

How airlines like United choose who to kick off a flight

An argument could certainly be made that just about any business is going to take care of its big spender and repeat customers/clients over the 'smaller' ones. An equal argument could made that once the business accepts the payment the small customer is a paying customer who should be treated fairly. But we live in the real world: Money talks.

8. cynthetiq

No.

"All men are created equal"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Perhaps in a future Star Trek society :p.

• Like Like x 2
  10. cynthetiq

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I immediately recognized the famous thuggery of Chicago cops when I saw the video. (I lived thirty years 20 minutes out from O'Hare Intl Airport.) Stories of cops using excessive force on non-whites is not a story. United invited this situation to occur. Period.

With the Republicans at the helm for at least another four years, this situation has no hope of easing anytime soon. Rich white people carry on. The rest of us will continue to try to be allies to disposable brown folk.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

13. Borla

From my perspective, politics on both sides fail here.

Chicago has been a Democratic stronghold for generations. The last time the city had Republican leadership was 1931. Hasn't seemed to help the police be less corrupt or violent.

IMO it's a problem society-wide.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I agree. I'm referring to Republicans being in charge on a federal level in relation to the straights we are in since deregulation of the airline industry. I realize that the Dems. did not address the airline mess to any significant degree.
    Problem probably wouldn't have happened if industry were not a mess and if it had, better cops might have done a better job.
    Two large issues (at least) are overlapping here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Borla

Thanks for the clarification. :cool:

16. cynthetiq

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This made me laugh!!

• Like Like x 1