1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

United Airlines has doctor dragged off flight because he refuses to "voluntarily" be removed.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Apr 11, 2017.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Ok, that's pretty hilarious.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

sure... right. okay, all just for show.

The PBA or equivalent will make sure that nothing happens to the officers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cynthetiq

• Like Like x 1
  4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. cynthetiq

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  6. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

While I would almost always volunteer and get a free ticket, let alone cash. I can't remember if it was Delta or United that I was flying with to Australia and I missed my connecting flight in LA due to bad weather and do to the construction that they were doing at the time. But, it could have been a serious problem because when you miss a connection, they can cancel your return ticket as well.

I only blame the airline in that they should have hired more pilots and crew to not have this problem as much in the first place. The second place the airline messed up was that they let the plane board before commandeering the seats for the other crew. The cops were just doing what they were told to do, although could have been kinder when trying to remove the guy. And all the people filming need to hold their cameras sideways, not vertical.

Having the stock price go down will get the attention of the top executives and require them to change some policies and attitudes. We will see how United deals with this along with the other cuts the airlines have been making to change it from an experience flying, to just getting from point A to point B.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

• Like Like x 1
  9. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

That is totally unfair in the sense it targets UA only.

That doesn't stop it from being totally funny.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 13, 2017 ---
    I agree ^.

And I also must mention that it also reinforces some of the points made in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cynthetiq

IMG_7857.JPG

And the press conference

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

13. cynthetiq

• Like Like x 2
  14. cynthetiq

But why? Why do you allow the Doctor to be scapegoated? You don't want United to be treated that way why allow someone who MAYBE this was his backup time/flight choice?

But it doesn't matter. Regulations state clearly what is to be followed and they didn't.

The rules are clear but enforcement in the USA is not so even-handed. Europe has very strict regulations and they follow them clearly and unequivocally. I've been compensated well for missing my connection which was not the fault of the airlines but just the way the regulations require them to CARE for passengers.

You may want to follow what is directed towards you. I would not. I was fairly allowed to board. Are you kicking me off the flight? Are you? No, you are not. Pick someone else. No. You aren't removing me from this flight. Pick someone else. I don't have to explain why or where I have to be tomorrow morning or when I land. It's not any of your business what my itinerary is after I land. I paid for my fare in full.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

None of the ideas, articles, discussions, or postings pretty much anywhere are remaining rational and unbiased. We all have our own biases based on our backgrounds and experiences. I'm not going to engage in the conversation any longer, as I feel it's going in circles. Everyone defends their point of view, as well they should, and nothing changes except the next news story. My thoughts and opinions haven't changed and won't. And I'm just not going to let myself get pulled back in. So I'm going to step out because I'm frustrated and not willing to remain that way.

• Like Like x 3
  16. cynthetiq

• Like Like x 3
  17. rooster New Member

What they messed up was letting this situation get onto the plane. As several people also said, planes get overbooked all the time and the basic theory for dealing with it is that everyone has a price. But you have to get it done before people board.

Seeing someone get roughed up and dragged off the plane for buying a ticket to fly on it looks horrible, but the real outrage I think was the initial tone deaf response of the CEO praising how the staff handled it.

The McDonald's analogy is an interesting one. No restaurant or other service industry treats customers on the way aviation does. I get its because of security, I get this is what the terrorists have done to us as a society.

If you were at a restaurant and you had booked, you sat in your seat and then they came out and said "sorry we've given all the food to our own staff to eat and you have to leave, here's a voucher for a meal next weekend" and you sat there and said "im not happy about this and I dont want to leave" there are two things you can be pretty sure of
    1, if it technically could be considered trespassing unless you became violent the police arent getting involved on any level
    2, its pretty unlikely you'll get bashed over the head and dragged out by your feet while your fellow diners cry out and beg the waiters to stop hurting you

• Like Like x 1