1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Update on work; how often do you mess up at work?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chelle, Aug 6, 2016.

1. chelle

chelle Vertical

Some of you have seen me post about my new job 6 months ago freaking out about the mistakes I made and how much I sucked.

I have been at my job for 6 months now. I feel mostly comfortable, I am handling so much work during busy season that I stay over time, they think I need an assistant because I have a heavy workload, I multi-task, etc. I had a 90 day review in May and surprisingly it was good because I thought I was horrible.

I've greatly improved but still seem to make mistakes at least once every week or two weeks.They're usually new mistakes and things that I haven't been taught yet so that's ok but when it's careless and avoidable mistakes like spelling errors, data entry, etc. I hate. I have learned to double check and triple check most of my work but once in a while it will slip.

For example yesterday I received a long list of people's COBRA benefits to end since they haven't been paying. I glanced and saw all the 8/31/16 and didn't even notice the two that had different dates. I usually check my work but I didn't cross reference the list I had and instead cross referenced it with my mind of what I thought was all 8/31/16.

This mistake wasn't drastic, not really much of a difference but my supervisor still caught it and I always feel shame and stress over the weekend. I would rather I catch my own mistake than someone else.

Despite the good 90 day review in May, I can't help but feel like a failure and maybe I will get fired. Though I think it's my anxiety because more than likely they really need me right now and my big boss usually compliments me. I know I need to continue to double check and not let my guard down with the simple easy tasks. The harder tasks I don't make mistakes because I get paranoid like crazy to mess up someone's pay so I'm extra careful.

I mean, I want to know how often do you all mess up at work? Is the amount I'm making normal for someone entering 6 months?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

If you are a new employee about to get fired, almost all companies take advantage of the 90-day probation period to enact it.

You are fine.

<--19+ years on the job, still screwing up occasionally, still employed (seemingly solidly).

• Like Like x 1
  3. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I scrap a part or a few monthly. When I do it's always my mistake, the company has to pay for repurchased material, and I work with aluminum all the way to exotic metals so it could be expensive. Then add the time for the machine and labour. Plus expedite processing and shipping. Been there 9 yrs would like to retire in 10 more yrs from there. It's a great place to work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Lately, a lot. 2 simple tables into the scrap for a small mistake. One other thing I did I was able to fix without any problem but 2 hrs extra time. I'm concerned a little that being almost 62 I'm loosing my mind.

My boss just blew it off like it was nothing but I'm still concerned I'm getting senile.