1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

UPDATED 1/11/2013: Donations in Uncle Phil's memory

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by the_jazz, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

So sorry, apparently your initial comment left me with an impression that we already had a say in how the money is spent, in consultation with Marilyn, and not simply given to her straightaway so she makes the decision by herself. Something in your above wording must have thrown me off.

And I didn't donate before I commented just to get a smartass response from a "professional".

Cheers, I'll stay out of here.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Is there some issue with the donation button or is it just me? I've tried to donate a couple times now and it just takes me in circles.

3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Let's nip the drama in the bud right now. I am certain that Marilyn will get back to us eventually. It is most appropriate to do with the money what she wishes. If you're not comfortable with that, then don't donate and leave this thread be. I'll be damned if I'll allow this thread to be consumed by power struggles and temper tantrums. Have some respect.

• Like Like x 7
  4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

It should go directly to paypal. does it go somewhere else?

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I think it's my system, running spyware now.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

7. hankster

hankster LONG time resident

shozzbot... day late key chain short... i would love one... i'll put up $100 for it!!! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I was going to put this in the staff section but to avoid any accusations of shenanigans I'll stick it right out in the open -- I think, due to his personal connection with uncle_phil, that hankster is absolutely entitled to one of the keychains.

In saying that, I want to make it very clear to everyone that I have absolutely no influence over this decision -- yes, I'm staff, but not the same kind of staff as Cynthetiq or the_jazz. I do the behind the scenes stuff, and don't get to (or want to) decide these things. This is solely personal opinion.

• Like Like x 14
  9. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Fully agree with Martian on this. Hankster originally informed us about Phil's situation, and kept us up to date. It may not be considered much by some, but it was definitely of high value to the TFP community.

He deserves a token of appreciation from us.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I am all for one or more of the keychains being divvied up due to merit, including one to hankster.

• Like Like x 2
  11. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

The day has just started for me, but I'll venture to guess that this is going to be the best idea I hear today. hankster, I feel confident in saying that you're going to win/be awarded/get one of the keychains.

• Like Like x 4
  12. shanifaye

shanifaye Dominissive

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lily

Lily Getting Tilted

I donated

• Like Like x 2
  14. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I've sent another request to Marilyn just in case the first got overwhelmed by a deluge of emails. So far we've collected about $500 to donate in Uncle Phil's honor.

• Like Like x 2
  15. When will you stop collecting donations in Phil's honor?

I only ask because I will have to budget this out of the next paycheck which doesn't come until November 1.

16. the_jazz

Right now we're committed to at least 2 months, possibly more.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well that's awesome.....

I was being a tough girl thinking that I couldn't possibly be sad about someone I've only ever known through the internets.

I miss him.

18. the_jazz

We heard back from Marilyn and .... well, I'm just going to cut-and-paste:

In lieu of flowers please consider a memorial contribution to:

the Windsor Golf Team, c/o Windsor Central High School

Gulfside Regional Hospice
    --- merged: Oct 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM ---
    My personal opinion is that we should split the donations equally between the two charities. Here's why:

The hospice people helped Phil to the end of his life. They made him comfortable and allowed him to go out the way that I hope that I can when my time is up - surrounded by family but not a burden. They're an obvious choice.

I got to know Phil through golf, though. That's how he and I bonded back at 4.0 when I first started on staff. I had a blog entry over there (long since deleted over something not at all related) that I wrote specifically for him about a trip I took to Pebble Beach. I took pictures of each hole and described it. I know he enjoyed it. And honestly, that's how I want to remember Phil - with a golf club in his hand, breaking par with a big smile. If you look at the 4.0 version of Pointless Announcements, most of his posts were about golf games.

That's not policy, by the way, just my thoughts. Anyone else want to share theirs?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

My personal opinion is that MY opinion doesn't count for squat. This is in uncle phil 's memory, it is HIS opinion that counts, and he gave it by naming those two places. I can't see either being offensive to anyone for political, religious, or other personal reasons, so it seems obvious to me that the money be split.

Out of curiosity, are you willing to disclose how much money total has been donated so far?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  20. the_jazz

Thanks, Borla. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Right now we're at about $500. There are a few folks that haven't donated yet that I know are waiting to hear what the charities will be (me included), so I expect we'll have more soon. Before we make the donations, we'll disclose exactly how much - obviously so that we can give a final total.

• Like Like x 2