1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

US orders Health Insurance to Cover Birth Control for Women

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by PonyPotato, Aug 1, 2011.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

Men are more likely to be overweight, smokers, engage in risky activities, consume alcohol and drugs, have less frequent health check ups.....but lets charge women more because they have babies.

BTW, some insurers exclude coverage of pregnancy (pre-natal and delivery) and still charge women higher premiums.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

Erm, those things are in fact discrimination, The 'objections' you raised don't contradict that, they merely support the idea that it's justified.

3. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

very true.

why are the other classes (smokers, drinkers, overweight etc.) justified for discrimination though?

4. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

Because they engage in those activities voluntarily (those aren't protected classes).

5. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

sex is voluntary last time i checked. also age isn't voluntary, being born with diabetes isn't voluntary. it's ok to discriminate against all these other classes except with women it's magically different.

6. redux

redux Very Tilted

So lets charge the woman more? Because her risky lifestyle choice was being born female?

Discriminating against persons with pre-existing conditions would be prohibited under the ACA, as opposed to the "free market" where those with such conditions either pay much higher rates or cannot afford insurance at all.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This seems a rather silly bone to pick considering what I read today: Some 30% of expenditures on the U.S. health care industry is wasted on such things as overtreatment, fraud, and a sorry lack of regulation. We're talking costs up to the tune of $750 billion.

And people are worried about "being forced to pay for birth control"? (Which, if true, isn't actually a bad thing.) The for-profit health care industry in the U.S. is a bit broken. Why not focus on the serious problems?

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

Risky behavior resulting from being born female:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I see diabetes has been addressed.

Age isn't voluntary, but driving like an asshole is. As is driving at all, for that matter. And even if I were to cede you the argument, it represents a better argument for ending discrimination against young drivers than it does continued discrimination against women.

As has been addressed elsewhere, hormonal birth control has functions beyond family planning. Even those forms of birth control (including abortion) that do not still fall well under the umbrella of 'family planning'. As long as family planning is covered, (women's and men's), you can't force a protected class to participate in an insurance program and also pay more for for participating. That would be government mandated discrimination.

Now if you want to assert that family planning shouldn't be covered under a basic insurance plan, feel free, but don't expect to me to take it very seriously.

You should also realize that the same reasoning you want to apply here to charge more for women's health services can also be applied down racial lines which would result in pretty much all non-white people paying more for the same services. Again, that would be government mandated discrimination.

10. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

it is a very small bone to pick in the grand scheme of things but what it represents is more important i guess. can organizations be forced to pay for things that are against their religious beliefs? also what should the role of government in healthcare even be?

of course i'm the opinion that you should be able to do what you want as long as it's not hurting someone else. but where this healthcare crap is obviously headed is forcing you to stop doing risky behaviors which many people enjoy. oh, you're too much burden on the system from years of smoking no healthcare for you. the healthcare rationing and severe taxes for what they would call sin behaviors are right around the corner.

i just want to be left alone and this is just one more thing that the liberals want me to pay for. i've had enough. take your free healthcare and leave me out.

11. Baraka_Guru

Well, as we both likely expected, this comes down to an impasse based on personal political differences—in this case two incompatible views of liberty: yours being a belief in negative liberty, while mine (and perhaps others in this thread) being a belief in positive liberty.

While I don't quite understand your idea of healthcare rationing or severe taxes, I do support a universal access to basic and essential healthcare services. Such access (and in addition to other things) affords the people the freedom to live to their potential regardless of their economic circumstances, the negative outcomes of which are often the unfortunate realities of capitalism.

This is not to say that capitalism is inherently bad or should be done away with; it's that society should govern itself to counter the worst of these outcomes. This is essentially how universal healthcare came about, not to mention such things as consumer protection laws, child labour laws, industry safety regulations, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redux

redux Very Tilted

Our health care system is a private insurance system, for the most part.

The role of the government is to prevent discrimination in health care services; a common practice among the "free market" in the form of the aforementioned gender rating, excluding pre-existing conditions, dropping patients after being diagnosed with a disease....not to regulate your risky or sinful behavior.

13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Taxes from Quakers support wars. Taxes from Jews and Muslims fund farm subsidies and pork production. Likewise for Hindus and beef.

14. Baraka_Guru

Taxes from vegans support livestock production. Taxes from atheists support public services that religious schools and organizations are exempt from paying for. (Etc.)

Many religious organizations aren't even forced to pay for things they do believe in.