1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Violent Crime and Self Defense

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Hektore, Feb 18, 2012.

1. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I've met my fair share of very privileged, very aggressive, and very trashy people here in South Florida. Ironically, those types of people are often arrested for crimes, too.

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

My relative was brutally attacked, yet she still would not agree with your perspective.
    Nice try, white boy.
    --- merged: Feb 20, 2012 1:24 AM ---
    Classy, too, now that I think about it, that you would imply that I somehow don't care enough or don't impute enough weight to what happened to my sister. An event, I might add, that a gun in the vicinity would have done nothing to avert. Try a little harder not to be a jerk, why don't you.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hey now, don't take my Bodkin Van Horn-style generalizations as a personal attack.

My post was merely food for thought. I'm not going all Manic Skafe on you.

...I'm not that smart, anyway.​

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Most of this is a crapshoot. It's quite likely that resisting and getting away is as effective as trying to put the guy down with a gun. Whatcha gonna do when a gun is already in your face? Go all action hero? Watcha gonna do if you get knifed in the kidney in a crowd? Draw and fire? Have you ever had a knife in the kidney?

Crapshoot, I tell you. But I guess survivalists are all about odds---increasing the odds. Someone help me with that.

Since I can't carry a gun here in Soviet Canuckistan, I guess I know what I have to do in the unlikely but not impossible event I'm attacked.

Maybe I should take a self-defense course. Would that make people here happy? Maybe pick up a martial art? What style is the most practical in mugging/robbery situations? Not kung fu or tai chi, right? They're all show and no go, right?

I am legally allowed to open carry a knife of any length, so long as it isn't a style that opens automatically whether by spring or gravity. Any recommendations? With my Tilley hat and cargo shorts in the summers, I'm going to look like Crocodile Dundee or the Crocodile Hunter. It's going to be awesome!

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

My recommendation is not to worry.

Nothing bad will ever happen to you.

6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

No, and this is just a theory, you tend to take balanced, moderate views on a subject that are contrary to yours and attempt to turn them into something they are not.
    Love ya. :p

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Y'all wanted a real debate?

I friggin' broughtified it.

8. Baraka_Guru

Liar.

I want your recommendations.

Also, for the home, I'm allowed a gun so long as it's a hunting or sporting rifle or shotgun with an overall length of 660mm or greater. If it is a centrefire semi-automatic firearm, the barrel length must be at least 470mm. Any ideas?

What's a Canadian to do?

Maybe this will help: What would you do if you were banished to Canada? How would you survive here, Mr. Survivalist?

9. KirStang

One Word: TAR21. I'm so jealous you Canucks can own such a fine piece of engineering.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Biggest recommendation is take some type of class that involves learning how to defend yourself without weapons against people with them. Obviously you're not going to dodge a bullet, but knowing how to react to someone with a knife, spatula, ax handle, rubber chicken, beer bottle, lip with herpes outbreak, etc. and neutralize them in as safe as manner as possible is invaluable. The cool part about taking said classes is that they give you a better range of automatic responses to shitty situations and they make you feel a little bit like a secret agent. Great way to meet girls, too.

And remember: I'm not a survivalist, I'm paranoid moron that wastes his money on barbaric implements of death and destruction. Kill babies!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Bear spray.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

You are the new Strange Famous. And I love it.

Baraka makes $19.95 CAD a year. Let's be realistic about his budget for something as useless as a firearm.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Baraka_Guru

1) I make almost half as much as you do. Seriously. By my guess anyway.

2) I'm pretty sure the magic bullet thrower known as the Tavor is a restricted firearm here. Too many rules. I should probably stay away from semi-automatic.

EDIT: Wait a tick! Never mind:

Now to save up $2,749.00 and do a hell of a lot of training and paperwork! (A secret side of me is semi-serious about that.)

Quick! Someone design a Baraka action figure fully detailed with laptop backpack, cardigan, and Tavor!

• Like Like x 1
  14. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

American Girl 2020:
    I almost never shoot a guy on the first date.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

There's little hawter in this world than a woman with a smoking barrel in her tightly clenched hand.

16. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

kiss me, you brute.
    hard and fast.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baraka_Guru

If I'm going to go violently, it had better be at the hands of a femme fatale type. Wait, do we have that as a thread theme yet?

18. KirStang

Eagerly waiting for the Day BG posts up in TFP Weaponry with the title, "Pics of my new gun."

19. Baraka_Guru

It would sooner be an edged weapon. But maybe blades are the gateway drug to guns. You tell me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

SUPER IMPORTANT:

Julie Golob needs to pose for Playboy so damn bad. And I would wife her so hard-fast the ring going on her finger would cause a fuckin' sonic boom.