1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Washing Vegi's and fruit...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DAKA, May 5, 2018.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Do you wash your fruit/vegi's...lettuce..even if it is "triple washed?
    What do you use?

2. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Yes, I rinse them with water. What do you use?

3. DAKA

On hard skinned .. ie: Apples, Pears, Celery Peppers, Potatoes I use dish washing liquid and the dish brush and rinse very well...Lettuce I put in the "spinner" rinse with lots of water and spin....even "triple" washed..

4. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I hardly ever wash veggies, unless obviously dirty. Hardly ever for apples, pears, tomatoes. I wash celery and especially leeks. Grapes get a quick rinse. I wash mushrooms and leaf lettuces. I grew up on a farm, was out in the dirt all the time. I think it gave me a good immune system. I'm rarely sick.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Above ground veggies get a good rinsing with water, root veggies get a very thorough rinsing & scrubbing with nylon dish washing brush.

I've never felt compelled to use washing liquid. I recall one of the major companies marketed a detergent for veggies, but I think it disappeared as quickly as moist toilet paper :eek:.

6. DAKA

As I wash the Vegi's etc, I don't really see any "dirt" being washed off, but, It makes me feel better....

7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Washing veg isn't always about the dirt. For me it's about the pesticides and other crap they might pick up along route from field to my kitchen. The fact that some are getting e-coli and listeria from things like lettuce is quite disturbing.

• Agree Agree x 2