1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

water spilled on my laptop keyboard

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Fremen, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

So, I was sitting in bed using my laptop and drinking out of a water bottle with a narrow opening (kinda like one of those pour spouts you see on liquor or oil bottles)
    Anyway, I fumbled the bottle after taking a swig and when it dropped and hit my thigh, it shot a small stream of water across my keyboard.
    I paused a beat or two, kinda in shock, then unplugged the laptop. I tilted it upside down to let the water drain for a minute or two and then patted it dry with some napkins.

I was just waiting for it to short out, but nothing happened.
    I then searched Google about what to do, but most of the advice was for taking everything apart, which I won't attempt.
    Of the sites I read, something stood out from the GeekSquad site. It said that it may take days, weeks or a year for the water damage to take affect and short things out.

So far, all the keys seem to be working properly, and there was no hesitation when it started up today.

How worried should I be?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the keyboard and how much got in there.

I spilled most of a beer on a laptop keyboard once. I quickly flipped it over and yanked the battery. I patted it dry and left it for a while (not more than an hour or two) then turned it on. Worked fine, though some of the keys were a bit "crunchy" sounding for a while after. A year or so later, everything seems okay. YMMV.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Somewhat.

If you can get it to work, it just might be all right. However, water and electronics are mortal enemies more dire than water and books. (And I say this having lived through a story of woe about books in Raincouver during an outdoor event. I also say this as someone whose laptop was fried by an errant cup of tea and a wayward power cable.)

Anyway, keep a contingency plan on hand.

4. Fremen

Ok, I'll just have to give it time and hope for the best. Thanks, guys.

I do have a Galaxy Tab 3, so if something does happen, I can get online and order another laptop. (still no smartphone)

5. omega

omega Very Tilted

Put it someplace warm to dry it out. Once it is dry there will be no problems. If you had an oven that you could set to about 100 degrees, that would work. I have heard of electronics actually being washed in distilled water. As long as there is no electricity and it is dry, there are no problems.

6. Fremen

Scary to think about. Would the water dry out with just the heat from using the laptop? It still seems to be working fine.

7. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

moving air is the key to drying...any kind of fan or hair dryer(no heat just air)..reposition now and then to reach all areas and hidden nooks...xoxoxoo

8. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

You're not a real Fremen, are you...?

• Like Like x 2
  9. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Your enemy at this point is going to be corrosion. It will take it's sweet time showing up. Depending on the volume of water and what it landed on it may or may not become a problem in the future.

If you're not willing to dismantle the laptop (which I honestly can't blame you for, they're a pain in the ass) then there's nothing for it but to wait it out. Make sure that any important information on it is backed up somewhere and hope for the best.

10. Fremen

Hehe, thanks for the laugh. :p

Appreciate it, man.
    Luckily, I don't keep anything I can't afford to lose on here.

11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Still ticking?