1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food We need to talk about cooking and food prep tools and utensils.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I guess my point was that sometimes you need a fancy tool to do a fancy job. I have never found a wall I couldn't paint with a 4" emulsion brush, but I dare say that Caravagio used something a bit more refined.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Well, that's a fair analogy I guess. I am certainly in the painter/decorator class of cooks.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

There is a balance somewhere in the middle, and it varies by how often one actually uses specific utensils for what they were designed, and what one's budget is.

The same could be said for knives, glasses, pots, etc. Can you use general purpose tools for a huge variety of things beyond what they are intended for? Sure. Can having the precise tool intended save you time, improve the presentation, or in some cases actually impact the taste (finely chopping herbs, spices, peppers, etc. for example) and final outcome of the dish? Absolutely. Does that mean that it's always worth it to everyone to always have the exact tool at hand, no matter the cost? Absolutely not.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I bought a new cupcake tin yesterday. I had this little Baker's Secret mini muffin tin that I'd been using since high school. Unfortunately, it was a little on the small side and didn't fit mini cupcake cups easily, which made it hard to measure out batter and make the cupcakes look pretty and even. So I figured it was time for an upgrade, seeing as I love making tiny cupcakes for parties. I'm looking forward to giving my new pan a try with some basic vanilla cake. I also picked up some new tips for my piping bag (although I need a new coupler for some of the larger tips), a cake leveler, and new cupcake papers.

So I will also add my Frangelico (hazelnut) basic buttercream recipe here:

1 cup butter
    1 cup or so powdered sugar (more or less, depending on the consistency you desire)
    several tablespoons Frangelico liqueur (or other hazelnut liqueur)

Cream the butter in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and mix well. Drizzle in the Frangelico tablespoon by tablespoon until desired consistency is reached. This may take more powdered sugar or more Frangelico.

What have you purchased recently for your kitchen?

5. Cwtch38

Cwtch38 Bat Shit Crazy

I have one of these, I think it is about 300 years old, still works fine but smells of burning if it's left to run too long.
    [​IMG]
    But I WANT one of these
    [​IMG]
    Isn't it beautiful <sigh> I just know that we could make beautiful cupcakes together :p

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My wife recently bought me a lemon squeezer. When I first saw it, I was thinking, What? Using my hand and a fork isn't good enough? How wrong I was. It's a dream.
    [​IMG]

For my birthday, I bought myself an immersion circulator (aka Sous vide). I am hoping to try it out this weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

Last things I bought for my kitchen have been actually mostly for my bar: A peeler that takes off 3/16" strips of peel for nice curly twists, a muddler, and a set of 6 mini tart pans that I used to make vanilla custard tarts for a dinner I threw a while back.

The Bench Citrus Juicer I got a couple months back has easily paid for itself already.

8. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

My wife just bought one of these (and is looking to sell them):

Thermomix - The World's Smallest, Smartest Kitchen

It makes pretty good mash and lots more. It basically replaces a bunch of other appliances - rice cooker, bread machine (at least making the dough), ice cream machine, mixer, food processor, juicer, plus it has scales builtin, and has it's own heat source, so you can make casseroles/curry etc. Expensive, but I think it is going to get quite a work out.

9. Punk.of.Ages

Punk.of.Ages Getting Tilted

A couple things I have in my kitchen that I would recommend are my T-Fal sautee pans and my Cutco knives.

T-Fals are fairly inexpensive, very versatile, and good quality. I love them.

Cutco knives are expensive, but seriously worth the money. Extremely sharp and very durable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

That's the kind my mom has. She was given it as a wedding gift several decades ago, and still uses it all the time.
    --- merged: Jul 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM ---
    One of my friends came over for dinner, she asked to help with cooking. I handed her a peeler (Real A-Peel, pictured below) and a potato.

[​IMG]
    She floundered around with it for a few minutes, cutting off random bits of skin and stabbing the poor vegetable. I asked her if there was something odd about my potato peeler, expecting her to have some sort of complaint about its design since she's left-handed. But no, her response threw me completely off-guard. She claimed has never seen a peeler, much less used one. She stated plainly, "My family isn't into fancy, specialized utensils."
    I have never, ever considered a basic potato peeler "specialized." It is the most basic of kitchen necessities.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  11. Charlatan

That's funny. Peelers are pretty basic tools. Did you hand her a paring knife and let her peel from that?

12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. She was a bit better with the paring knife but still incredibly slow. I eventually gave her another task. Nobody should reach adulthood without learning how to peel.

13. Charlatan

It's one of the first things I learned when helping in the kitchen.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Henckel chefs knife and a microplane for garlic.

Im looking for a grill and was set on the Weber 330. But the Big Green Egg you have Borla is intriguing.

15. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It isn't cheap, but it is absolutely worth it if you are a serious griller. I've used Weber kettles, barrel-style grills w/offset smokers, several types of gas grills, there is really no comparison in my mind. It is very versatile, and it's almost hard to screw something up on it.

If you have any questions or thoughts, I'm more than willing to throw in my $.02, though it might be better suited here : Do you grill, bbq, smoke? | The TFP instead of diverting this thread.
    :)

16. Thanks Borla. We're having a house warming party next month so I plan on picking up a good grill soon. I'll definitely contact you if I have any questions.

Now back to the thread...
    Our all clad stainless steel set (the sauté pan in particular) is a champ. We had a different brand for years and everything we cooked felt like a chore. The heating was never consistent. Having a good set of pans is worth the investment.

17. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Now that I'm making my velvety, sexy potato-leek soup at least once a week, my boat motor (or immersion blender if you don't appreciate the slang) is indispensable.

Recently got my hands on a decent, inexpensive, nonstick grill pan for the stovetop. I'm not a hardcore, come-snow-sleet-or-hail griller, and my poor little grill probably wouldn't stand up to such weather conditions anyway. So I think that as we move deeper into fall and on into winter, the grill pan is going to become an invaluable bit of hardware. I've already used it a couple of times, just to brown some chicken for a pot of stew and that sort of thing, and I enjoy it.

18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

This reminds me that I have yet to replace my immersion blender. My cheap Oster bit the dust recently.

19. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

20. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Potatoes were never a really big part of the food offered in my family of origin. Mom grew up in a small New Mexico town, and though not Mexican, was strongly influenced by the local culture. When you're only one Norwegian family in a town full of Mexicans and Indians, you won't get much herring. She carried SouthWest/NewMex cooking into her marriage to my dad. But I digress.

If she peeled them at all, Mom used a stainless steel "scrubber" to peel potatoes, with water running in the sink, or in a dishpan. But they were usually just boiled and mashed, or grated and fried, skins and all.

I do a low-carb eating regime, so rarely eat potatoes at all, BUT I do have a basic cheap potato peeler which I use occasionally on things like carrots, parsnips, and broccoli stems.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012