1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food We need to talk about cooking and food prep tools and utensils.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Dahliance Vertical

I am limited in my tools and storage space so I do the best with what I have and what I can afford. I keep my eyes open for the things I especially want and will use in my kitchen. Probably the most used gadgets in my home other than the basic pots and pans are my antique Ecko french fry cutter, the cheesy $10 Mandolin slicer, little tin biscuit cutter, the double sifter and my pastry blender.
    Nothing fancy, mostly hand me down or picked up from thrift store or Jockey Lot for next to nothing. I use my 2 metal pizza pans once or twice a week. I would love to have an old cast iron meat grinder, a pasta press and a tortilla press.
    Least used are my crockpot and the big old Rival counter top roasting oven. I use that once a year.
    My most coveted prize however is used infrequently because we just do not do burgers enough. I managed to score a 10th anniversary family sized(huge)Foreman grill. I can cook 8 burgers at once on that thing in the winter and it heats the kitchen.

2. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dahliance Vertical

They are common. Just a little out of my price range when I do find them in good condition. People tend to misprice useless hunks of rusty metal as valuable antiques out of pure greed. I will find the right one for me eventually.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Came across this article on kitchen tools, and I thought it was a great guide for people wondering what they really need for a kitchen:
    The 10 Best Kitchen Tools You Don’t Have « local kitchen

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Just about every time that I cook at someone else's house, I wish they had some of these basics. I now make plans and bring my own tools.

To the extent that when I was competing in an "Iron Chef" competition a couple weeks ago, I brought all my stuff with me. My friend, who was hosting, just laughed because he actually has a well-equipped kitchen (and his knives were extra sharp). Turns out the only thing he didn't have was torch I used on my dessert (lucky I brought one).

6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I really want a cutting board that goes over the countertop edge like the one pictured. We almost bought one once, but then didn't because t was honestly too large for our tiny counter. Someday.

7. snowy

Part II:

8. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Can pretty much tick off everything on that list. Always happy cooking in my house, though given we recently got a Thermomix, lots of these things aren't used quite as much anymore (e.g. it has scaled built in).

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

Today I was at TJ Maxx looking for decor when I spotted a Calphalon Tri-Ply stainless 12" skillet on the clearance rack. $29.99 for a pan that usually retails for somewhere in the $90 range. I used it tonight to fry up some tofu and then deglazed the pan with sake, soy sauce, and dashi. It deglazed like a champ. Beautiful results. I can't wait to cook more with it.

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Every time I see TJ Maxx, I think I am seeing Tucker Maxx. That's just not a great association for a retailer.

11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

TJ Maxx rocks. I got two Le Creuset casserole dishes for under $25.

12. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Why do people peal the skin of the potato anyway?

I just run it under the cold tap and then cook it. Any germs are gonna get killed by boiling or roasting in any case.

13. snowy

It typically depends on two things: 1) the type of potato, and 2) what you're going to use it for. I like to peel russets that go in soup because I want the potato to break down a bit and add some body to the soup. I don't peel Yukon Golds because the skin is so thin it's not worth it. Also, peeling can save potatoes that are on the verge of going bad.

14. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

I picked up a 13 pc set of Circulon Premier Professional pans the other day...OMG these things are awesome. Absolutely love them! Got them on sale for about 60% off. Super stoked!

the other tool I have that I can't say enough good about is the Cutco Spatula Spreader. I sold Cutco for a little while about 20 years ago. I still use this tool all the time, it is seriously one of my favorites!

15. snowy

16. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I recently bought a LeCreuset Dutch Oven and it flat out rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Can I just put in another plug for my Kitchenaid mixer? That thing is amazing. We have the vegetable slicing attachment, too, and it makes cooking from scratch easier.

I also love my Wilton cookie press. I love making sugar cookies, but I hate rolling out the dough. With the cookie press, all I do is stuff in the dough and press out cookie after perfect cookie.
    --- merged: Jan 14, 2014 1:34 PM ---

For many recipes, I just scrub the potato and leave the peels. But recently I have been peeling more and more - everything from eggplant and cucumber to sweet potatoes, potatoes, apples... to keep my 10-month-old from choking on a peel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  18. snowy

Totally! I adore mine. I really love the fruit and vegetable strainer attachment. We use it for making massive batches of applesauce.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I've been wanting a large "griddle" pan, or a large griddle, one with the raised parts high enough to keep the food out of the grease when cooking meat. The ones I've found are too expensive for our budget, even the few that I've found at thrift stores/resale shops have been overpriced.

I'm very disappointed in the quality of our Rival 'programable' Crock-Pot. The crock developed a crack in what I thought was just the glazing, but it now appears to have 'progressed' all the way through the clay. It's in the bottom of the crock, & I know that we haven't dropped it or otherwise abused it. The plastic handles have developed cracks. I'm tempted to bitch to Rival to see what they say or do.

My wife is a fan of Pampered Chef products, but I'm not. The one PC product I find most useful is their knife sharpener, the one with the crossed ceramic (???) sharpeners.

On that note, I much prefer kitchen knives with a smooth cutting edge over serrated edges. I get more use out of the really cheap knife set that we got as a wedding present nearly 27 years ago, than I do out of our Henckels EverSharp Pro knife set. I've threatened to sharpen/grind them down to smooth edges, but my wifes "No, don't you dare."

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  20. snowy

I would suggest trying to contact Rival. I can't speak as to their customer service from personal experience, but I've had incredible luck emailing other manufacturers about their products and receiving replacements, especially if the product is under warranty.

Serrated knives have a purpose and a place in the kitchen, but the serration on the EverSharps is just terrible, in my opinion, but they are one of the cheapest block sets on the market. These are the cheap-o knives I bought my folks for Christmas, also Henckels: J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku Set : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining They do not have the serration that the EverSharps have, and I bought the little one as a single knife about 8 years ago. It is, of course, much lighter than my Zwilling JA Henckels santoku, but it maintains a sharp edge and is still a great knife for the price. My parents were ecstatic over $20 knives. Too cute.

• Like Like x 1