1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Weird Texas: Politics, People, & Stupidity

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Chris Noyb, May 8, 2024.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The title is self-explanatory. Some of the stories might not be political directly, but fall into the Hot Button category.

I'll get thing started with news from Houston.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner "retired" last night. This surprises no one. I am surprised Mayor Whitmire waited this long to fire Finner, he put Finner on a very short lease immediately after being elected. Only a complete idiot would believe Finner "retired."

Mayor John Whitmire announces retirement of Houston Police Chief Troy Finner amid suspended cases scandal

13 Investigates: HPD Chief Finner was emailed about suspended code in 2018

This, combined with the extremely long history of gross incompetence in the Houston Crime Lab, paints a very poor picture of law enforcement in Houston.

Oh, another factor, Harris County DA Kim Ogg has been accused of keeping Houston Police Dept on a long almost nonexistent leash. The city of Houston is located in Harris County.

I can't think of a single Houston mayor who has made a serious effort to straighten out HPD, it's a thankless and probably impossible task. But it would be nice to see someone really try.

Edit: I need the title edited.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You can tell me here, or you're welcome to message me.
    I'll change it for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

I "reported" it, & somebody made the correction. I just left an e at the end of stupidity(e). I almost titled it:
    Weird Texas: Politics, People, & Bovine Excrement

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

I previously posted this issue in the What's Happening? thread.

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/05/16/daniel-perry-greg-abbott-pardon/

Greg Abbott has opened the door for the Governor and his appointees to overturn court decisions. Of course Texas AG Ken Paxton didn't fight this.

This is seriously starting to remind me of the Civil Rights Movement when the federal government had to step in to force states to comply with the new laws.

Something noteworthy in the story, Daniel Perry also had his right to own firearms restored. Maybe he can speak at the NRA meeting here in Houston this weekend.

• Informative Informative x 1