1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Western Animation

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by martian, Apr 12, 2015.

1. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

We've got a thread about Japanese animation. Why not celebrate western animation as well?

My current favourite is probably Steven Universe. It's a series about a young boy growing up with three crystal gems, women (sort of) who are also immortal magical alien guardians who fight evil. Steven is half human, and half gem; his mother gave up her physical form to bring him into being.

It sounds a bit weird and it took a few episodes to find it's stride, but it's very charming and often quite clever. There have been several Deep Revelations recently that have the fandom all atwitter.

The theme song is short and will get stuck in your head.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfKUdmTq2MI

It has other catchy music. Like this song about becoming a Giant Woman.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT13ijUfSts

It's created by Rebecca Sugar, whose other claim to fame is writing a lot of the really catchy music that shows up from time to time on Adventure Time. So that's neat. It also addresses some surprisingly mature themes, like loss, loneliness, gender identity, and family. Idea Channel (which is a Youtube show sponsored by PBS; we could probably do a whole other thread on Youtube shows) recently did an episode about what Steven Universe says about family structure. I won't link it because it spoils basically everything, but it's worth seeking out if you're interested in that kind of thing.

The last bit (addressing mature themes) is true of a lot of cartoons; or the good ones at least. But it bears mentioning, for anyone who thinks all cartoons are kids' stuff.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I couldn't get into Steven Universe, but I love Adventure Time and Regular Show, which are both also on Cartoon Network. Adventure Time is frighteningly deep at times. I find it interesting because there is so much to analyze in many of the episodes, yet the episodes are still enjoyable even if you totally missed the undercurrents and deeper themes. I talk about it with my students a lot, and it's plain that some of them catch on to the clever side of AT while it sails right over the heads of others. Regular Show is less sophisticated, but it also offers multiple levels of enjoyment, and somehow manages to click into some of my collegiate nostalgia at times.

Our favorite around these parts would have to be Bob's Burgers. If you haven't watched this, it's on Netflix, and you should. I love how honest it is. It depicts kids being kids in a very frank way that I appreciate; I feel like it's more open about the trials and travails of adolescence than many other shows, especially regarding struggles with identity and belonging. Frankly, I think it digs more deeply into the psychology of those years better than most anything I've seen. I also like that the adults all have their own insecurities and struggles, too, and it makes their family very real. Additionally, the little jokes in every episode (the shop next door in the opening credits, the special burger, etc) make it even funnier.

3. martian

Bob's Burgers is excellent, but it is sadly not available on Canadian Netflix. I can watch it but only if I cheat.

4. snowy

That is so, so sad.

5. martian

Bob's Burgers is also part of the whole "mature animation" subgenre, stuff that's written and intended for adults. That goes along with shows like Archer, American Dad, South Park, and so on. It's a lot easier to address mature themes if you don't have to worry about offending parents.

That's not to say I don't like those shows, they're all great. But I can't help but appreciate a show that manages to tackle complex issues and package them up in a way that they can be presented to anyone without issue.

6. omega

omega Very Tilted

I like Bob's burgers. I love archer and the venture brothers. H. John Benjamin does the voice of Bob and Archer, and and voices a recurring character on archer.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. martian

Oh man. Those NFB films are part of every Canadian's childhood. It's kind of sad that kids growing up now won't be exposed to those like we were.

I'll see if I can dig a few up when I'm not at work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

I loved Ruby Gloom

Also Invader Zim.

• Like Like x 1
  11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I bring you straight out of Canada -- Rock and Rule.
    I know it wasn't a show but boy, it should have been.
    The movie was very cool, with great voice acting, dense animation, and had music by Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, David Bowie, Cheap Trick and Earth, Wind and Fire.

Rock & Rule (1983) - IMDb

12. Baraka_Guru

Thanks to the post @redravin made about the weird Mark Twain claymation movie in the other thread, I was reminded that I've been trying to track down another weird show I remember watching as a kid. It featured a kid and a train in a weird/dark world, but it's been hard to find because there is so much out there featuring a kids and trains. But thanks to the ever-growing nature of the Internet, I've now finally tracked it down. I found an episode on YouTube.

It's called Les Voyages du Torillard. It was a French-language animated short series made in Quebec in the '70s/'80s. It was distributed to English Canada and the U.S. as The Secret Railroad (which is how I remember it).

From the Wikipedia page:
    I remember loving this whenever I caught it on TV, but I don't know if I've seen it all. I should find out!

[Version below is in French]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9qn801eJ-c

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

I've never heard of this. But man do I want to watch this now.

14. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Actually the full version (both Canadian and American - which has a happier ending, of course) are on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  15. martian

16. martian

In the film world, and western but not American, there's the Triplets of Belleville:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LRQ6d9wdc

That one is on Netflix. It one all of the awards a couple of years ago. Magpie and I caught it a while back and we both very much enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dlistlouis New Member

Japanese animation is deep. My favorite has to be Bleach if I was an animated character I'd have to say odahemea inoway i know I spelled iher name wrong. But so I could be closer to Ichigo.

18. martian

I think you're looking for our anime thread. It's here:

It's All About Anime | The TFP

• Like Like x 1
  19. snowy

This makes me laugh. Sure, Kubo builds a cool world, but I don't feel like it's deep. He's kind of the King of the Asspulls.

Bob's Burgers this Sunday had a great take on forming a band with friends and the trials and tribulations thereof. And armpit hair.

20. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends

Powerpuff Girls

• Like Like x 1