1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite comedic works?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Hey! I've been under a lot of stress these past few several weeks, and I have at least one or two more to go before things let up.

I'm tired, a bit stressed, and...I haven't been laughing much lately.

Laughter is the best medicine.
    Laugther reduces stress.
    Laughter just makes life better.

Sock it to me!

What are your favourite comedic works? I want some of your best recommendations.

I don't watch many movies or TV shows, nor do I listen to many podcasts or comedy albums, etc., so there is a good chance there will be many things you guys like that I haven't even checked out yet. I also haven't really read any humour such as novels or graphic novels, etc.

Some of my favourites?

I generally like British comedy. I really enjoyed The Office, and Monty Python are the best! I also nearly peed myself a few times while watching Hot Fuzz, and I thoroughly enjoyed Shaun of the Dead as well.

Dane Cook makes me laugh, even though he steals jokes (allegedly).

Other funnymen I enjoy also include:
    • Jack Black
    • Ben Stiller
    • Will Ferrell
    • Danny McBride
    • Zack Galifianakis

I'm sure there are more among my favourite movies/actors, etc., but I can't think of any at the moment.

So I leave it to you! What should I check out, even if it's again for the first time?

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

The New Mexico trilogy by John Nichols, consisting of:
    - The Milagro Beanfield War
    - The Magic Journey, and
    - The Nirvana Blues

funny as hell...

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My instant answers, and showing my strong bias for the radio:
    Jack Benny and Cast
    Fibber McGee & Molly (not so much with the surreal last few years where it is just the two of them for the most part and every script is recycled)
    Amos and Andy
    Fred Allen
    Red Skelton
    in the visual medium:
    Benny Hill

4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

My absolute number one is Downtown' Don't-Laugh Batsu (Punishment) game. It's a Japanese comedy work and they release one event every year.

Other than that:
    Eddie Murphy - Delirious
    Eddie Murphy - Raw
    Russell Peters - Red, White & Brown
    Chris Rock - Kill the Messenger
    Kaya Yana - Made in Germany (German comedy)

5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi Baraka.

For Stress Relief, I have no hesitation in recommending A Prairie Home Companion, headed up by Garrison Keillor. It is a combination of music, and gentle comedy in the form of poetry and prose recitation, and sketches.

Here is the website: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
    Here is the listening information: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/stations/

For stand-up and visual humour, I recommend Eddie Izzard: Here is his take on Star Wars:

Best wishes :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

You can't go wrong with Abbot and Costello.

Also, I've heard good things about Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

There are a bunch more clips on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

"A Bit of Fry and Laurie" is on Netflix instant viewing - fantastic stuff

8. DEATH STAR CANTINA!!!!!

Thanks for reminding me of this Zen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. The Three Stooges, it's mindless
    Monty Python

I listen to a lot of Raw Dog on Sirius/XM. Wish I could remember all the good comedians I hear on that channel.

10. I just love Dave Chappelle. He cracks me up

11. Fremen

I've never heard that bit. That was hilarious! Thanks, ZS and Zen. :D

/loves the Jeff Vader bit

12. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

ZombieSquirrel Thanks for the Lego version :)

Fremen Glad you liked it. Eddie Izzard truly is my favourite. "I've never heard that bit" < hah ... you already know him ... yaaay :)

Baraka_Guru Here's another possibility:
    Lisa Kudrow, who used to be in 'Friends', created her own show "Web Therapy". It is now being shown on 'real' TV, but she had already built it into three series' of web episode which you can view here.
    http://www.lstudio.com/web-therapy/
    Her characterization, especially her micro-reactions, cracks me up, and given that you are snowed under with work, a positive of these is that each episode lasts no more than about 7 minutes, however, I am not as confident in recommending this one, for what I take to be its content strength may be that it plays on my specific secret fears. I'll be interested in what you and others think.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Any DVD of Eddie Izzard will thoroughly push your happy buttons. My favorite is Dress To Kill.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Given your Python bent, watch the movies "A Fish Called Wanda" and "Clockwise", both with John Cleese.

Also, the funniest apocalypse book ever is "Good Intentions", by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

George Carlin. I was raised on it, but his bits associated with the seven words you can't say on television are still very funny, and I like the wordplay involved with them, even if the words are dirty ones:

There's lots of George on Youtube.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

The genius that was Mitch Hedburg is possibly some of the best stand-up I've ever heard. The guy was freakin brilliant!

• Like Like x 2
  17. I agree cj2112 . I was lucky enough to see him live shortly before he died. He has such a unique style.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fremen

Mitch Hedberg was awesome. I'd have liked to have seen him and Steven Wright in a double billing.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Ahhh ... Now I could see that working :)

20. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

Tim Conway and Harvey Korman together on the Carol Burnett show were pretty amazing as well.

• Like Like x 1