1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What authors do you read?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Borla, Jul 30, 2011.

1. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I am the opposite, and not a heavy reader. I am sure that most of the TFPERS are. So when I find an Author that I connect with I will read all of the materials I can find. It's as if they are in my head and the book is the door to their mind and I am wanting full privilege in. I even visit their website.

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

This is the best kind of thread revival.
    I have a 45 - 90m commute each way three days a week, which is going to increase to six this week. I do mostly audiobooks now, just due to time constraints. But, I have a lot I listen to. I'll do whole series when I can find them. It's like a Netflix binge. OverDrive is the best app ever... I borrow them from libraries.

Lee Child
    Sue Grafton
    Lisa Scottoline
    Karin Slaughter
    Lisa Lippman
    James Patterson
    Johnathan Kellerman
    David Baldacci
    Julie Garwood sometimes
    Patricia Cornwell
    Lisa Gardner
    Michael Palmer
    Michael Crichton
    Recently tried some Joe Hill... That dude is crazy :)
    Matthew Costello
    Michael Connelly
    Gillian Flynn
    Robin Cook
    Jeffrey Deaver
    Grisham, King, Koontz, etc
    Jesse Kellerman
    Tess Gerritsen

and when I can find one I haven't read, I do like a good JD Robb "Eve Dallas" novel... Best guilty pleasure.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I'm reading my first book by Jonathan Franzen and really enjoying it.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Ooh yeah.

5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Good Lord, far too many to list in full. I won't bother with authors of whom I only really like one or two books. And I will not bother to list those of my professional interest, or specifically Jewish interest. But some of the faves of general entertainment are:

JRR Tolkien
    Frank Herbert
    Isaac Asimov
    Robert Jordan
    Raymond Chandler
    Dashiell Hammett
    Robert B. Parker
    Robert A. Heinlein
    Robert Silverberg
    Larry Niven
    Jim Butcher
    Arthur Conan Doyle
    Owen Parry
    Lindsey Davis
    Neil Gaiman
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Kevin Hearne
    Seanan MacGuire
    Tony Hillerman
    Victor Hugo
    Alexander Dumas
    Edgar Allen Poe
    George RR Martin
    Anne McCaffrey
    Kat Richardson
    Patrick Rothfuss
    Brian Sanderson
    Will Thomas
    Harry Turtledove
    Sharan Newman
    James Clavell

There are definitely more, but those are just off the top of my head.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

If I can't find them on Overdrive, or am waiting for a copy to become available, sometimes I can get them off of the Ebook Bike site, like this particular series by Cixin Liu ( a Chinese Sci Fi writer):

The Three Body Problem
    The Dark Forest

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Cool, thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  8. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

So is most of the books read by the TFP all actual paper or a book pad of some kind?
    A super at work uses Amazon I still prefer to touch fold a corner and turn the pages. Also with the books on my shelf I can look at them and be glad like little trophies.

9. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I'm torn about this. I have several bookshelves of actual books and more that I'd put out on the shelf if I didn't run out of wall space in my current place. But the convenience of only carrying a kindle is hard to argue with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

I use a mix of both Google Books and regular books.

11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Paper. My wife has an iPad with a reader, but that does me no good since it's with ehr pretty much 24/7. One of these days someone I know will be chucking an old EReader of some sort & take pity on me. Given the number of books I have stacked up & boxed up around the house, with few of them being Must Keepers, a pad or tablet would make a lot of sense.

12. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

A mix. I think we have about 4 ereaders in the house (a couple of Kobo, a Kindle and an Aluratek) two iPads and of course, I use my iPhone to read a fair number of books. I even found a Kobo eReader in one of those Little Free Libraries in our neighbourhood, which I took home recharged, loaded up some titles and returned.

There's still a bunch of paperbacks at home that I haven't read, and will get to but I sure prefer the ereaders. The last time I took a book home from the library, it stank of cigarette smoke. I couldn't keep it in the house.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

My body is starting to reject ereaders/ebooks.

It looks like I'm going to scale back my ebook consumption to the point that I'll only read them if it's too much of a hassle to get the paperback version.

14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

In an attempt to reduce the staggering volume (if you'll forgive the expression) of books I own, I have shifted to Kindle books for basically all my casual entertainment reading. The only books I am keeping in paper/bound form are either religious texts, reference/professional works, or graphic novels.

I like the aesthetic of bound books, but they take up a lot of room, and are too easy to lose/damage.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

My only beef with Kindle is the type of file it reads (.mobi I think) which makes it a real hassle everytime I want to load up a .epub book. I need to convert it somehow. Or (shudder) buy books from Amazon. Thatès the main reason I use my Kobo or my iPad.

I too like the aesthetic of bound books, and am finding hard to dispense with all my pulp fiction collected over the years. Desperately hanging onto the hardcovers from back when I was in the SciFi book club (Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, AC Clarke, Asimov, Tolkein ... so many) and so many other classics.

Once I Feng Shui my collection, I will definitely stream my reading: pulp fiction ==> ereader, classics ==> bound editions (eg, I just purchased Gulliever's Travels by a Jonathan Swift with 24 prints and 160 drawings by Luis Quintanilla as well as a 1937 hardcover of the Adventures of Hajji Baba of Ispahan by James Morier.

16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I have a free converter that makes it super easy. Or use .pdfs

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baraka_Guru

You need this: calibre - E-book management

• Like Like x 2
  18. snowy

19. Baraka_Guru

I just wish they would include an auto-install feature for updates considering how often they update it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

yes, I do use Calibre, - or did, until I found that most books I want are in epub and my iPhone/iPad sucks them into iBooks automatically, without any issues. If I ever use my Kobo again, its pretty generic for epub.