1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Realize that Kondo is writing from a heavily Shinto perspective due to her time as a miko, or shrine maiden, before you begin to read. A lot of complaints I've seen about her book and her method come down to understanding that things have power.

2. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I found Marie Kondo's Life Changing Method... interesting in some ways, silly in others, (no thanks, I'm not going to turn folding underwear into an origami project, in fact, I'm not going to fold underwear, period) with way too big an emphasis on clothing.

That's not where my disorganization, cluttering, hoarding tendencies lie.

I found Barry Yourgrau's book Mess on the new stuff table at the public library, and it has actually helped me learn to "let go" of some stuff. It helped me realize that my cluttering/hoarding was effecting my life, not just my space.
    Mess: One Man's Struggle to Clean Up His House and His Act: Barry Yourgrau: 9780393241778: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  3. The Man in the High Castle was a quick, enjoyable read. Now that I've watched to intro episode of the Amazon series, I can tell you that your speculation is totally correct. Same world, same(ish) character names as the book, but the rolls, relationships and activities are not the same. I'm gonna have to try to suspend my recollections from the book if I'm gonna enjoy the series.

Downloaded another Sedgwick sci-fi, supposedly more professionally proofread, and a E H Reinhard thriller (a Kindle freebie, so nothing lost but time, if it sucks).

4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Almost finished with As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride (Cary Elwes), and it is absolutely wonderful. Autobiography of Neil Patrick Harris is next. Aaaaaand Eden got me a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas (w00t!), so reading ~2ish books a week will resume again shortly. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I finished Bluesman by Andre Dubus III. Question--How do you pronounce Dubus? I know that Dubois is pronounced Due-bwaw.

It was a good read, for the most part. I'm glad that I have at least some understanding of music because there are many parts where AD goes into too much detail on matching keys, chord progressions, etc. I was again disappointed by the ending of yet another novel. It's bad when you start getting close to the end of a novel and realize there is no way the author can wrap things up without the resolutions being impossibly quick.

6. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I got a paperwhite too!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

I'm 104 pages into The Native Moment the first novel by Anthony C. West, published in 1959. It's a mix of novel, poetry, & philosophy, and in some ways reminds me of reading Faulkner at his rambling/experimental worst. I'll finish it just because sometimes I'm stubborn when if comes to reading difficult books.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm on the final two chapters of Sharon Salzberg's Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness, which explores the concept of metta (meditations on kindness toward all beings) in Buddhist philosophy. At first, I thought I wouldn't get much out of it, and that perhaps I didn't need to read such a long book focusing on one concept. I was wrong. Once I got into it, I found several passages that resonated with me. Overall, it's actually a really good book.

9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

The Everlasting by Leonard Bishop.

Reincarnation, murder, faith, my friend was a bit blown away by the whole thing.
    So far seems pretty basic but we'll see.

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've now moved on to what is probably my most ambitious reading of 2016 (yes, already): The Five Books of Moses, translation, introduction, commentary, and notes by Everret Fox. @Levite recommended this to me. I'm already fascinated by the Translator's Preface with regard to how the language of his translation is "Hebraic" compared to other English translations. This explains a lot about the structure and repetition in the text. Fox has also convinced me to read the text aloud so that it truly comes alive in a poetic sense.

Reading this will represent my single greatest exposure to the Abrahamic religions. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CinnamonGirl

I finished As You Wish (it made me want to watch the movie again to look for things he mentioned) and Shockaholic (enjoyable, but not as much as Wishful Drinking. Less focused and more rambly, which I guess is understandable with ECT.)

Currently halfway(ish) through Felicia Day's You're Never Weird On the Internet (Almost), and I'm enjoying it (she makes me cringe at times, not so much because of the awkwardness, but because I identify all too well with the awkwardness.) I did start the NPH autobiography, too, but I'm finding it a little hard to focus on.

I would say 2016 appears to be the Year of the Autobiography, but I'm pretty sure I started 2015 with several autobiographies as well and then moved back to fiction.

12. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I seriously cannot express how excited I am that you are reading this. I am totally looking forward to hearing your reactions to both text and scholarship.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Trust Your Heart by Judy Collins. I'm skeptical of celebrity autobiographies because many of the ones I've read suck; at the half way point this one pretty good.

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

It's not bad for a novelization.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vogelap

vogelap New Member

Hiaasen's books are reliably consistent. If you enjoyed Star Island, you'll enjoy the rest.
    --- merged: Jan 7, 2016 at 9:37 AM ---
    I am reading Infinite Jest. Well, listening to the audio book, while referring to the end-notes on my Kindle, and keeping track of the reader's guide (Elegant Complexity) on my Android. It's... complicated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
  16. CinnamonGirl

The Brink: Stories, by Austin Bunn. I like short story collections, and (most of) these are intriguing. All have a sort of "end of the world"ish theme, though that's presented in different ways. One is from the POV of a Heaven's Gate cult member; one is about a video game world ending; one is about a woman getting divorced and finding out her septuagenarian mother is sexually active, for example. Some are better than others, but I've enjoyed all of them so far.

17. Chris Noyb

Trust Your Heart turned out to be fairly superficial, not a good read for casual fans. To her credit, Collins didn't resort to sordid stories about her fellow musicians. Some of her attempts at sharing her personal life were successful, but many seemed hesitant, as though she wanted to open up yet wouldn't or couldn't. She included many, many names of people she had met and/or worked with. I'm not sure if she did this to be accurate, or was trying to impress the reader.

-------------------------------

The Intuitionist a novel by Colson Whitehead.

Race relations and power struggles within the profession of.....

elevator inspecting. Say what?

I'm about 1/4 into it.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

Just downloaded (kindle sale for $1.99) Gutenberg's Apprentice, historical fiction of the creation of the "darkest art" of the printing press and the intrigue surrounding the first printing of the Bible.

19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Mistress of the Empire
    ...continuing saga and power climb of the brilliant Ruling Lady I was reading in Daughter of the Empire. (fantasy in a world like feudal Japan)

* for maybe the 10th time

20. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Judd Apatow's "Sick in the Head." So far, not as funny as I expected, but an interesting read.