1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Recently finished:

• Don't Breathe a Word (Jennifer McMahon) - a "creepy fairy tale" that had me wondering, "are fairies real in this universe? Or is everyone just batshit crazy?" Maybe both. Writing's a bit choppy, but the plot made up for it, I think.
    • The Seventh Bride (T. Kingfisher) - The miller's daughter becomes engaged to a mysterious noble she's never met. Shenanigans (not of the fun variety) ensue. This felt more YA-ish, though it isn't supposed to be, but I enjoyed it. Also, she has a hedgehog.
    • The Summer Queen (Elizabeth Chadwick) - historical fiction, based on Eleanor of Aquitaine (Queen of France and Queen of England, among other things.) Historical accuracy notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed this one and look forward to reading the sequel. (Edit: oh, it's a trilogy. 3rd book out this fall.)

I usually reread the Harry Potter series near the end of July. Also been wanting to reread the Mistborn series, and I've been meaning to start Wizard's First Rule for months now. Hmm.

2. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

Previous Read: ISIS, State of Terror by Jessica Stern & JM Berger

Current Read: Israel, A History by Anita Shapira

with another five books waiting to be read.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which was a pretty good read all around. It hit the three things I consider essential for me not to get annoyed with a book: it was entertaining, had good voice, and wasn't trying too hard.

I've learned that I hate similes in writing, mostly because they usually end up pretty overwrought.
    --- merged: Jul 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM ---

I need to check this out. Historical fiction about one of my favorite people from history! Sounds good to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. CinnamonGirl

The Best Horror of the Year: Volume 6 was on sale for like, two bucks. I usually enjoy anthologies put together by Ellen Datlow, but...well, 2013 must not have been a good year for horror. A few good ones, but mostly, I was underwhelmed.

Edited to add: I feel like I said something similar for the last horror anthology I read, too. Perhaps I'll stick to the Horror and Fantasy anthologies that Datlow edits with Terri Windling, instead of just straight-up horror.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've embarked on what I'm calling an epic fantasy odyssey of, uh, epic proportions for my summer (and probably beyond) reading.

It just so happens that I've read only the first book or two of the following fantasy series:
    • The Belgariad
    • The Book of the New Sun
    • The Farseer Trilogy
    • The Sword of Shannara
    • The Riftwar Saga
    • The Wheel of Time
    • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
    • The Chronicles of Amber
    • The Books of Lankhmar
    • Harry Potter
    I'm currently reading Queen of Sorcery from the Belgariad and listening to an audiobook of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I'll finish these two series, and then I'll see where that takes me next.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy these series by a rather varied degree. My biggest hopes are on the Book of the New Sun. On the other hand, I'm not sure how well my slog through the Wheel of Time will go. The Books of Lankhmar will probably be the most fun for me.

6. blahblah454

blahblah454 New Member

I am trying to get back into reading as much as possible. Trying to alternate between fiction and non-fiction. Here are the last books I read and the date I finished them.

Ashlee Vance - Elon Musk - 2016.05.05 - This is the biography (so far) of Elon Musk. For anyone interested in the man this is a must read! It is written by a journalist, so at times it feels like you are reading a news paper aimed at 12 year olds, but for the most part it is excellent.

Brandon Sanderson - The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages - 2016.06.26 - Finished the trilogy really fast, it was very enjoyable. Essentially its your typical high fantasy, with a great twist on how magic is played out. There is another trilogy out that takes place like 300 years after the events in this book. I plan on finishing that before summer is out.

Erland Bakke - Never Work Again - 2016.06.30 - This is an excellent book. Written about the possibly ways to bring value to the world that doesn't involve what we were taught as children: Go to university, get a job, work for 40 years, retire. Talks a good bit about outsourcing your work, and focusing on what you are good at to bring value to others. Outsourcing is a way to pay others fair wages, and multiply your own productivity by orders of magnitude. I recently got into outsourcing the odd thing and it is amazing. Can't wait to grow my own business even further by hiring others to do tasks for me so I can concentrate on the things that I need to.

Brent Weeks - The Way of The Shadow - 2016.07.13 - This is another high fantasy book. This time it is about assassins. The writing style is a little odd, and can be jarring at times. Overall a very good book, the other 3 books in the "trilogy" are on my list of books to finish up.

Currently reading the autobiography of Andrew Carnegie. An amazing individual who has inspired many of my heroes. Bonus: The book was free for my Kindle! On the public domain.

7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish this because the author attempts to write authentic dialogue, and reading his Scottich dialogue can be painful.

The Secret Life of Laszlo, Count Dracula by Robert Anscombe. While RA's writing is pretty good and he keeps the story moving, I'm at page 124 and Laszlo has yet to kill anyone.

8. Chris Noyb

The Secret Life of Laszlo, Count Dracula by Roderick Anscombe.

Oops, I previously misread the author's name as Robert.

This novel was an entertaining read, but there are some flaws that bother me.

What did Laszlo do with his bloody clothing after he starting biting the young women to kill them?
    Since Budapest wasn't that far from the town where his castle was located, being seen dining out with his mistress a great risk.
    One prostitute at the bar had clearly seen his face, she could give the police an accurate description of Laszlo as the man who left with the prostitute who was murdered.
    While the author never has Laszlo's wife confirm having seen him kill his mistress, it's presented as a known fact, and yet she allows his old friend and his cousin, who have a teen aged daughter, to make a visit to and an extended stay at the castle.
    The open ending bothered me.

9. Chris Noyb

Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore.

Rant on.

This novel is so bad it would be laughable if it wasn't so long.

I'm not even going to use the spoiler function.

A secret underground gold mine. Under the moors...with no mention of seepage, water removal, or flooding.

John Ridd (the younger) is such a pussy he can not bring himself to shoot (an easy shot, a certain kill) Carver Doone, even though:
    1. At the time Carver is leading an attack on the Ridd farm with the intention of re-capturing Lorna Doone, killing everyone else, and burning everything on the farm to the ground.
    2. Ridd knows, actually heard him say, that Carver either killed John Ridd (the elder) himself, or was at the scene and gave the order for him to be killed.
    3. Carver had threatened to kill Lorna Doone, with whom John Ridd is madly in love, and even fired a shot at her feet as a warning.
    Important related note--Later in the novel Carver shoots and very nearly kills Lorna at the wedding of John & Lorna. It never occurs to John that this is his fault.

Ridd's pussy status is further illustrated by him not killing Counsellor Doone even after:
    1. CD visited the Ridd farm claiming to seek negotiations, when in fact he was there to steal an incredibly valuable necklace from Lorna. Which he accomplishes by tricking Annie, one of Ridd's (really gullible & stupid) sisters. Note--I would've referred to her as Stupid Shit until the day I died, or could no longer speak or write.
    2. Later, as CD is sneaking away from a battle rather than "fighting like a Doone!" he lies about having the necklace, and tries to stab Ridd when Ridd takes the necklace. Pussy Ridd not only lets him live, and leave, but gives him the largest diamond from the necklace as a parting gift.

Rant over.
    --- merged: Jul 24, 2016 5:52 PM ---
    Since the edit function and my computer aren't playing well together, I'll let the threads merge.

The Covenant by James Michener.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The Harry Potter books, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I started the Tess Monaghan series from Laura Lippmann for my commutes via audio book. They are entertaining. I need a Cook County Library card so I can access their audiobooks via OverDrive, too. Im on number 5 but Jax library doesn't have it

12. snowy

Starting Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's an update of Pride and Prejudice. We shall see.

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Rise of the Warrior Cop by Radly Balko

Excellent book on how we have militarized out police force and how we have come to accept the idea of being passive in the face of police aggression even when there is no apparent reason for it.

14. snowy

Finished Eligible. While it didn't hit all of the buttons Pride and Prejudice does, it was a good update and strong enough to stand on its own. Both are certainly products of their time.

15. ring

ring

a heavy tome full of promise
    i clutched it to my bosom cross armed
    on the walk home from the library,
    somewhat in anticipation
    but mostly because my old wrists hurt.

annie proulx - barkskins

this book is brand new
    i might have nightmares of being the first to foul it with food stains

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Chris Noyb

I immensely enjoyed Proulx's The Shipping News, and to a lesser degree Accordion Crimes. And I could've sworn I read a book by her about a guy trying to buy land for a corporation in West Texas, but I might have my authors mixed up.

17. Chris Noyb

The Covenant by James Michener. A very long read, with a disappointing ending. For the most part JM does a good job of using fictional, quasi-fictional, & real characters to illustrate the history of South Africa. When this book was published in 1980 it was relevant to what was happening in South Africa; that relevancy has waned over 36 years.
    --- merged: Aug 7, 2016 4:19 PM ---
    Same Kind Of Different As Me, by Ron Hall & Denver Moore with Lynn Vincent. Non-fiction. An unlikely friendship forms between a homeless man, a successful art dealer and his wife. This is a feel good Christian publication, something I normally avoid like diseased temptation. So far, I'm up to page 105, the story has been interesting and the 'Christian Message' has been relatively low key.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  18. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I think I'm giving up nerd cred for admitting it but I hated Fahrenheit 451. I find most of Bradbury's work to be absolutely dull and uninteresting.

I finally got around to reading Ready Player One. It was good. The movie will be interesting. Might be terrible; remains to be seen if they can pull it off, though I suppose if anyone can make it work it would be Spielberg.

My sister who reads much more than I do has lent me The Passage and insisted I have to read it, so that's next on my list. I don't know what it is but she has generally good taste so I think if she says it's good it probably is.

I also picked up Mr. Mercedes second hand yesterday from the locally owned bookstore. Apparently it's the first in a trilogy. I know Stephen King isn't a "good" writer in the strictest sense of it but I've always liked his work anyway.

19. CinnamonGirl

Currently doing my annual Harry Potter reread. I'm a little over halfway through the Order of the Phoenix. I also have the Cursed Child (thanks to a generous TFPer!) and I'm torn between finishing the original series so everything's fresh in my mind for the new one, or putting The Half-Blood Prince on hold and diving right in. HBP is my favorite, though. Hmm.

Before the reread began, I finished Landline, by Rainbow Rowell. Not my usual fare, but it was pretty good. A woman whose marriage may or may not be on the rocks discovers she can call her husband in the past...before he was her husband. Far-fetched (and to be honest, a "magic phone" isn't the least believable thing) but entertaining.

• Like Like x 1