1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DRP967

DRP967 New Member

The Zombie Survival Guide

by Max Brooks

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

the given day by dennis lehane...

3. The Art of Racing in the Rain

4. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I haven't read The Zombie Survival Guide, but I have read World War Z which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would.

5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I'm taking a break from the Paul Newman bio (he's a cool guy, but like I said, I get bored with most nonfiction pretty quickly.) I started A Salty Piece of Land last night, and it's making me pine for the beach.

6. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Tell All - Chuck Pahluniak

7. Xazy Vertical

Corvus by Paul Kearney

8. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Slogging my way through the second "Game of Thrones" book.
    Hope this one is just a "sophomore slump"and the next picks it up a bit...

9. rahl

rahl New Member

Just started "The Omen Machine" by terry goodkind last night.

10. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. And something called "The History of Mankind's Criminality" or somesuch that was published in the 60s.

In a week, I'm starting a class where 90% of what we are reading are books written by David Foster Wallace. I'm afraid I might start to morph into him.

11. Jay

Jay Vertical

KGB The Inside Story of it's Foreign Operations From Lenin to Gorbachev by Christopher Andrew & Oleg Gordievsky

• Like Like x 1
  12. no128s

no128s New Member

Just finished "A Dance With Dragons" the fifth Game of Thrones book... I loved them, but there were moments where I wanted to burn the whole thing... Nooks are a lot harder to start on fire though!

I also just finished "Hell's Angel" by Ralph "Sonny" Barger... an interesting look into the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club for all you Sons of Anarchy fans out there!

Next up is "Pragmatic Thinking and Learning, Refactoring You Wetware" by Andy Hunt... we'll see how that goes!

13. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

I'm still finishing up "A Dance with Dragons" as well, though I seem to have gotten to a point where it's started to build a lot more momentum. I needed a few hundred pages to get back in the atmosphere and get excited about things again, I guess.

I feel like the odd books in the series are much stronger than the even books. I'll happily re-read 1, 3 and 5, but 2 and especially 4 are slogs. Weird.

14. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Im also a huge fan of detectives!

But my favourites are Philip Marlowe and Martin Beck (two pretty different characters)

Also a big fan of Wallender.
    --- merged: Aug 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM ---
    I'd recomend "Transparent Things" by Nabakov.

Along with "Burmese Days" by George Orwell, the saddest book Ive ever read

(not sure if that is much of a recomendation thinking about it...)

15. shoegirl

shoegirl Vertical

Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett, now I'm back on the Game of Thrones series. I'd say I'm about a quarter of the way through A Storm of Swords - Just when I think I know what might happen, Martin changes the game on me.

16. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

Oh god, don't. I got about 300 pages into Pynchon's Mason & Dixon and decided I wasn't going to waste my time with any of his books ever again. He's got some great ideas, but I really feel that books, whatever their topic, need to be accessible. His aren't. I won't read Gibson for that same reason-- he's a literary asshole.

• Like Like x 1
  17. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

spiral by david l. lindsey...

18. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

Seducing The Vampier by Michele Hauf. Honestly I don't like it. It's pretty bad. However I feel the need to finish it. Next time I'll get a better book from the library.

• Like Like x 1
  19. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

City of Ash by Megan Chance. I picked it up because of its setting in 1880s Seattle. Seattle used to be a very, very different city (as I know from reading PacNW history) and it's fascinating. The story is also very good.

I picked up a whole mess of books to take on vacation from the library. I'm looking forward to diving into them. I'm especially looking forward to finally reading Tears of Pearl by Tasha Alexander. She writes a fantastic mystery, and Lady Emily is one of my favorite detectives.

20. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I haven't read many detective novels with female protagonists. I've read the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire (a very pulpy fantasy-detective series). I'm always on the lookout for new detective books.