1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

Daniel Silva's Portrait of a Spy.

Love his Gabriel Allon series. The latest Pendergast novel from Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child is up next.

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

split image by robert b. parker...

3. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I just finished Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell.

http://www.amazon.com/Quarter-Share...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315489048&sr=1-1

It was pretty good. Essentially it's a Horatio Hornblower/O.Henry story set in the far future. It's a very nautical book with sprinkles of commerce throughout. Not great literature, but a pleasant enough read.

And I started Dr. Zhivago this morning. I've never read it, and after finishing Life and Fate by Vaisily Grossman about 6 weeks ago, I want to compare the two since they're effectively contemporary books, albeit set in different times.

4. uncle phil

in the name of honor by richard north patterson...

5. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Hit List (the 20th or 21st book in the Anita Blake vampire executioner series). I just hope she stops being so sensitive and kills all the things.

6. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

Existentialism: From Doestoevsky to Sarte by Walter Kaufmann.

I'm 20 pages from finishing and it's been great so far. A nice anthology of works, much of which I've read already but never imagined as fitting under the umbrella of existentialist thought. The Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Rilke and Kafka sections have been my favorites so far.

7. Stick

Stick Vertical

The drawing of the three by Stephen King

8. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

This afternoon, I ordered a copy of Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot because someone made a reference to it and my mind did a TV-comedy-style record scratch noise and my internal monologue said, "I've never actually read Waiting for Godot.

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I haven't read it either, which is a shame. I plan on atoning myself by also reading his "Trilogy," a copy of which I picked up for really cheap downtown.

Atone myself I will.

But.... I have been following this thread for a while. But it's frustrating because my reading is screwed right now, as I'm putting in a ton of freelance editing hours this month. It's the sort of thing that kills your ability to read.

I will read again soon. I hope.

10. ring

ring

92 page preview of:
    Creative Explorations: New Approaches to Identities and Audiences- David Gauntlett

11. uncle phil

sucker bet by james swain...

12. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

They shoot horses dont they...

13. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

One of my friends told me to read the book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin, and gave me the e-book files.

No idea when I'll find the time to read those, but it's definitely at the top of my list to read.

14. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

Recently started The Postcard Killers by Liza Marklund and James Patterson.

15. uncle phil

private by james patterson...

16. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Xenocide. (The third book in the Ender Games series)

17. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Breath by Tim Winton. I started it yesterday and think I'll finish it today. It is big print and not many pages. Strangely there is a lack of punctuation - e.g. '"Hello", said Tim'. is written as 'Hello said Tim'. It is interesting.

18. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

It's a quick read (120 pages of play script, probably more like 40-60 if it were prose,) and quite brilliant.

19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Yeah, I've glanced through it several times. I tend to pick it up every few months at the used bookstore I often go to that always has a small stack of it on one of their tables. I've decided that I'm more interested in his novels at the moment and will probably read Godot after them.

20. uncle phil

Santa Fe Edge by Stuart Woods...