1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Decided to go all high school and stuff.....just started The Scarlet Letter.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hamsterball

I live for cheap thrills, snowy.

I read Dante's Inferno last year just for the hell of it.

Yes, I know I'm a dork. But I make up for it in other ways.

:D

4. snowy

But that's a beautiful work of literature.

5. hamsterball

Indeed. I was speaking of the difficulty in reading it. So far, I'm finding Hawthorne's prose a bit overly complicated. The story is just starting to unfold so I can't really judge its quality just yet.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The only books I'm reading these days haven't even been published yet.

7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I didn't make it all the way through Inferno. I couldn't get past the feeling that some knowledge of Italian politics and the Catholic church during Dante's time would be very helpful in understanding and appreciating it. Even frequently referring to the footnotes didn't help me much. A large part of that is just my overall aversion to poetry, or whatever the proper name is for Dante's writing style in Inferno.

8. Baraka_Guru

Inferno is great. Purgatorio is really good. Paradiso is less so.

But such is The Divine Comedy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

The religious and political contexts are key, much in the same way with Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and Joyce's Ulysses, though all of these works can still be enjoyed for other reasons.

The Divine Comedy was written in "terza rima," interlocking rhyming tercets, a poetic structure developed by Dante.

It's therefore classified as an epic poem.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Chris Noyb

Good info, thanks! I didn't realize that Dante was credited with developing a (then) new style of poem.

11. snowy

Yes, it's a book best read with either a college professor to be your Virgil or thorough annotations.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HoBuupeek

HoBuupeek New Member

@Borla, you're my hero! Or rather Daniel Silva, and Brad Thor, "Foreign Influence" are, along with many more like these two authors. I'm currently into "Dead or Alive" by Tom Clancy. I was a late bloomer into the readership clan. I even have consumed some suggested chick-type reads by my significant other. She sometimes reciprocates giving in to setting the Gothics down for a spell. We have a used book store called, "McKay's" which we go to often, turning our finished reads back in for credit when we don't want to keep them. Then we dive for more. Granted, we don't get the most recently published reads, but doubtless we'll ever run out of choices! And whooboy! The prices are right too! Anywhere from 0.10cts. to just a few bucks/ea. Mine rarely cost more than a couple dollars. We've been giving some to a lady with terminal cancer. But she died a couple weeks ago. Need to find someone else in need who likes to read. Gotta keep the spirit going!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

(9th April)
    I'm now onto book eleven. Book twelve hasn't been released yet but the series is supposed to end in book 12. I can predict the ending.
    But hey, the series has passed the time.
    And I may be guessing wrong. :)

14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The Philosophy Book - published by DK

The same publisher that does the reference series of books for younger audiences. (I love their stuff)
    While I've gone over a tons of deep & detailed philosophy books over the years...I've found I'd like to summarize them.
    Kind of like a picture triggers memories...and curiousity...perhaps even re-delving into the topic.

So I bought this to purview during my spare time...to recap all those ideas I've absorbed. (there are others, but you can't have everything)
    One, because I only have enough time ...and mind
    Two, because some I only want to acknowledge and not make a commitment to them,
    but others...if it clicks with me, a reminder that I want investigate further.

So it is something simple...something to enjoy. (yes, I know...what kind of person considers Philosophy an "enjoyment" and light-hearted?? :rolleyes:)

I know this, you can find Zen and meaning in a Three Stooges movie.
    And in turn, the most complex and deep subject can be tedious...and not suit your mood. (especially if done wrong)

Even Einstein was a horn-dog. ;)
    (and I'm no Einstein by far...but I'll match him on the horn-dog level)
    Ooo...is it getting deep in here. *pew*
    (Philosopher?? No, a Bullshit artist... - thanks to HotW, Part I)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  15. Chris Noyb

I just finished Salt Dancers by Ursula Hegi. It was an interesting read, but she left too many issues hanging for my tastes, and there were bits of dialogue that were just plain horrible. I thoroughly enjoyed Stones From The River, am neutral about The Vision of Emma Blau, but I do want to read Floating In My Mother's Palm because it sort of ties into SFTR.

I've barely started the The Borgias by Clemente Fusero. I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for something this loaded with Italian history, the Catholic church, and so many characters.

16. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I spent most of my three day weekend reading, and it was glorious. I finished:

Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn. A sort-of murder mystery...the ending had the same "what the hell?" feeling to it as Gone Girl, though not quite as strong.

The Giver, by Lois Lowry. I never read this one as a kid, and I'm not sure why. I enjoyed it.

The Maze Runner, by James Dashner. The story was strange, but entertaining enough. I think it would've been fine as a stand-alone book, even though nothing really gets solved at the end. Still debating whether I want to read the sequels or not (I probably will, let's be honest.)

Hidden, by Catherine McKenzie. Again, entertaining enough. The ending was a bit unexpected, but not entirely shocking. There were three different points of view, which was an interesting way to tell the story-- the man who dies, his wife, and his (more than just a?) co-worker.

Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. This one was pretty intense. A high school girl commits suicide, and leaves behind cassette tapes explaining why, mailed to the people she talks about on the tapes. Some of the reviews I've read knock the book for glorifying suicide, but I don't feel like it did that. If anything, it made you realize that people are paying attention, even when you think they aren't. Two different points of view in this one, you're basically following along with the tapes and getting Clay's reaction to them. This is one of the few books I've read that made me want to check out the audio book version.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Dark Places was good, Sharp Objects was better (Gone Girl was the best.) :)

The Giver - one of my all time favorite books.

I read the entire Maze Runner trilogy, and the prequel. They're ok, I wouldn't rush to do it right away, but they're worth a read. I liked the prequel a lot.

Thirteen Reasons Why is fantastic. Gives me chills every time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Sharp Objects is on my list. My never-ending, never-gonna-get-through-it list :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Well, I just read a book that I really REALLY liked.

It was called "Help for the Haunted" by John Searles

Its a mystery story I guess, but not a straight detective story (the ending probably wouldn't be forgivable if it was because it breaks the rules of detective stories). Its also kind of a ghost story, but one that probably doesn't believe in the supernatural but is kind of scared of it anyway. I think some people have read it as a character assassination of Ed and Lorraine Warren: in some ways they get off easier than many people would want them to, in other ways it's a devastating statement of what they are/were (given that Ed is no longer with us).

Sets a really spooky atmosphere, and has an incredibly engaging and likable narrator, and I guess in the end it leaves you with space to believe whatever you believe.

20. hamsterball

Open letter to snowy: I now fully understand what you were saying now.

I openly apologize for referencing Dante's Inferno in the same sentence with this thing.

I'm not finished with it just yet, but all I can say is Damn!

• Like Like x 1