1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It was free on my phone.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

After finishing Gormenghast last night, I vowed to finish A Dance of Dragons. Fewer than 200 pages to go!

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Just read Dark Watch by Cive Cussler with Jack Du Brul. It is the 6th in Oregon File adventures according to the bibliography in the front but the first I have read. Very entertaining, the plot and action stayed plausible throughout, and now I want to read the first five in that series.

4. Alistair Eurotrash

Just finished Shantaram - good read, fizzled out a bit towards the end, which is always disappointing.

5. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

Is this part of a series? I read Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle. Is there any of his other books I should read first before this one?

I'm reading some old books somebody got used and gave me. I'm not entirely sure I haven't read them before. I'm currently reading Clancy's Op Center - Act of War. Next up is Cussler's Crescent Dawn.

6. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

No, Reamde stands alone (aside from one completely insignificant callout, which you are already good for from what you have read). Note that it is entirely present-day fiction.

7. Robot Parade

Robot Parade New Member

I've tried reading this series a couple of times, and just couldn't get into it. Seems likely to be awesome, just can't quite get it.

8. Baraka_Guru

It might help to understand what it is and to try to read it for that. It's a Dickensian Gothic. Also described as a fantasy of manners. The characters are like blatant caricatures---their exaggerations form an important part of the story.

So it's character-driven mainly, and the plot is very subdued. Though there are some classic plot elements that are entertaining. The setting is really important too. The castle itself takes on a life of its own: classically Gothic with some surrealistic highlights.

The themes address such things as class, rank, authority, history, and tradition, as all of them are challenged to some degree.

I particularly like the writing: elegant and often dark, with an undercurrent of humour.

I'm not sure how far you've gotten into it, but I find that you don't quite "get it" until the third quarter of the first book.

It's weird and wonderful.

9. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I finished Dr. Zhivago last night - including the poetry. It wasn't what I expected it to be. I thought it would either be a post-Stalin epic criticism of the state or a love story, and it was neither. I can't actually describe what it was other than good but disjointed and intentionally confusing. I didn't really like any of the characters - I actively dislike the title character - but it still held my attention and was a good read. Too many Russian writers try to be either Tolstoy or Dostoevsky (I'm looking at you, Vasily Grossman), but Pasternak is just Pasternak - and unapologetic about it to boot.

I'm starting Under the Poppy by Kathe Koja today. It's outside of my usual tastes, but thus far it's pretty good.

10. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Finished the first Hunger Games book...working on the second one.

11. Baraka_Guru

I finally finished slogging through A Dance with Dragons.

Now I've just started Darker Than You Think by Jack Williamson, a novel less than a third of the length at a slim 268 pages.

It's a story about werewolves, originally published in the '40s.

12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Sweetness:The Enigmatic Life of Walter Payton

I'm about halfway through and it's not nearly as scathing IMO as the critics made it out to be. It has the feel of just being very honest, telling the bad with the good.

13. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain. Outstanding beginning, plenty of interesting facts and anecdotes about the current state of neurobiology. Then...ugh...about 2/3 of the way in (I'm a bit past this now) starts cutting away at 'reductionism' and 'materialism' and is starting to give me the vibe that the author is trying to make room for a 'soul' of some sort. Seems like the perfect way to ruin what would otherwise have been a perfectly good book. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I just finished Rick Perry's book 'Fed Up'. If you're worried about missing it; don't be. Not much to miss, really.

14. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I'm not a bibliophile by any stretch...

Right now, I'm finishing Lost In Shangri-La. It's a true 'armchair adventure' involving a sightseeing tour plane which crashes in mountainous New Guinea at the end of WWII. The sole survivors, three men and a WAC, are stranded for months enabling them to learn quite a bit about man-eating tribesmen and impenetrable jungles.

15. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

the night stalker by james swain...

16. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Working on the 3rd book in the Hunger Games trilogy.

Also started Jodi Picoult's "Send You Home" on the phone because I left my Kindle at home the other day.

17. Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and George Barna.

18. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson.

I really like Bryson's turns of phrase.

20. spindles

spindles Very Tilted