1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

the defector by daniel silva...

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm about a third of the way into it. It's pretty engrossing and not what I expected. I've been hearing the hype about this book and its author for a while now, even from people who are usually literary fiction-y types. So many of its reader rankings are skewed unusually high (even for a "mainstream fantasy") that this was the final selling point for me to check it out.

There are many familiar aspects to this novel that make it appealing. It reminds me of some of the Romantic novels I've read. There is something archaic about his storytelling, though his style is decidedly contemporary. It seems he's doing what few have done since Tolkien in terms of making a fantasy believable though ultimately keeping realism at arm's length (unlike Martin, who depends largely on "gritty realism").

It's too early for me to tell, but that's my initial impression.

I'm on the public library's waiting list for the sequel (thinking ahead). I'm currently 33rd in line for a 31-book pool. I'm glad I got in on that sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fremen

Thank you, that's aptly put.
    I just know I enjoyed reading it. :)

5. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Reading a book titled "Wired". Don't remember the authors name...was $0.76 on Amazon....getting my moneys worth so far...

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

7. uncle phil

white shadow by ace atkins...

8. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Patrick Rothfuss - The Wise Man's Fear

Loved the Name of the Wind, so on to book two!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

The mention of Russian Authors brought to mind the books by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. They are still at my parent's house and I have not read them in years but they made a huge impression on me in my younger years.
    Reading the more personal accounts of some of the horrors that led to at least 60 million people dying really give you an appreciation for what we have in this country.

10. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy.

11. BIZ

biz New Member

Reading the Hyperion science-fiction saga by Dan Simmons. It's pretty amazing. I'm not much into science-fiction, but I'm hooked with this one. The characters and their origin stories are what really shine.
    I've read they might make a movie, but unless it's a brilliant director I doubt they can make anything decent.

12. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Maybe we could do a mini book club for Wise Man's Fear? Since so many of us seem to be reading it right now :)

13. Fremen

I'm still trying to find my copy of The Name of the Wind and re-read it, before I tackle the sequel. :)

14. Candle

Candle Vertical

Currently reading Guardians of the Wild: A History of the Parks Canada Warden Service by J. Burns and M.J. Schintz.

15. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Steve Jobs biography on my iPhone.

16. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

A collection of Conan the Barbarian stories by Robert E Howard

17. dude2012789 New Member

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

18. uncle phil

great read...

don't forget atlas shrugged...

right now i am reading a heartbeat away by michael palmer...

19. dude2012789 New Member

Atlas Shrugged is next on my list.. it's not going to be a light read haha

20. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

"48" by James Herbert. One of my favourite authors - I picked this up at a second hand book sale :)