1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

You got a brain scan?

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

In my thrift/resale store book searches I frequently find medical & nursing text books. At one time a local Goodwill store had at least 10, and a week later they were all gone. I don't know if they were newer editions, but it's safe to say they weren't cheap when new.

I usually don't look at them, but I did buy The Personality Puzzle by David C. Funder. His writing is pretty straightforward, not the usual dry academic writing filled with run on sentences and run on paragraphs.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

EPPP study materials updated since the DSM - 5 change are a hot commodity. Seven of these cost me $233. The rest of the online study pkg was $549.
    I used to love old psych textbooks. My mom got me one when I was 12. I read the whole thing in a few days and decided I'd be a psychologist. I love searching through old textbooks at used bookstores.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Our Goodwill always has textbooks from the "general" classes at the local university. Some of them are very, very valuable! Recently, I gave away a copy of Shakespeare's complete works (the Pelican Shakespeare) because I knew I could pick up another from Goodwill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm set to dive into Time and the Gods, an omnibus collection of fantasy stories by Irish writer Lord Dunsany (1878–1957). He apparently was a big influence on modern fantasists, including, but not limited to, Lovecraft, Howard, Tolkien, Del Toro, Gaiman, Borges, Vance, Moorcock, Eddings, Wolfe, and Le Guin. He was an important writer in helping build a bridge between modern fantasy and classical literature, fairy tales, and romances.

I think this is the beginning of a run of short story omnibuses that I've been meaning to read—mostly older fantasy and science fantasy type stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

I find a wide variety of "general" textbooks--and cookbooks--at the thrift & resale shops, but will occasionally come across what I guess to be someones collection of very specific textbooks. Medical books such as Grey's Anatomy, The Human Body, Prescription Drugs A-Z, etc. are "relatively" common, but large collections on very specific subjects aren't. The same Goodwill store also had quite a few law books specific to Louisiana which eventually sold, but not as fast as the previously mentioned nursing books.

7. IanBrianna

IanBrianna New Member

The World of Yesterday, by Stefan Zweig, an Austrian writer who died in 1942. It is an amazing autobiographical memoir of his youth and maturity, starting before World War One. Right now I am in an account of life in Paris before that war. The world has forgotten how delightful it was to be young in that city in those days, how easy and joyful and free young people were. The Kaiser and his successor took something away from humanity irrevocably.

8. Chris Noyb

Such A Long Journey, a novel by Rohinton Mistry. I'm looking forward to reading this, I thoroughly enjoyed Mistry's A Fine Balance even though it makes it India sound like a cesspool.

9. Chris Noyb

I finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. While I'm glad that I read it--because of the film Blade Runner--it's not an especially well written book. It is cool to see the differences between the novel and the later film; I'd say that the film was inspired by/loosely based on the novel.

10. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

The Buntline Special by Mike Resnick.

It's a steampunk western set in 1881 Tombstone with the Earps, Doc Holiday, and Bat Masterson trying to protect Edison against the Clanton gang.
    It's been a lot of fun so far.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

The Secret History of Wonder Woman

"A riveting work of historical detection revealing that the origin of one of the world's most iconic superheroes hides within a fascinating family story -- and a crucial history of twentieth-century feminism. "

12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Emotional Intelligence 2.0

Some light-reading for the train.

13. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

That sounds really good. I'm going to have to look into it!

14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Gunfight at the AC (current) Corral?

15. Baraka_Guru

A collection of stories by Clark Ashton Smith called The Emperor of Dreams. More pre-Tolkien fantasy, mostly from the '20s.

16. Just finished The Bell Witch - An American Haunting by Brent Monahan

Its a really, really well done horror story. You can see why so many people still half believe that there is a true story behind it. Spooky, yet the sense of justice that (to me) good horror has to have - that good people come out ok in the end and bad people are punished in the end.

17. Baraka_Guru

I should also note that Clark Ashton Smith was one of "the big three of Weird Tales, along with Robert E. Howard and H. P. Lovecraft."

After reading a few stories, I see why.

Clark Ashton Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. Chris Noyb

Such A Long Journey did not disappoint. Mistry is very critical of Inira Ghandi; he left India in 1975 to live in Canada. Sadly his last novel was published in 2002.

19. weezer

weezer Getting Tilted

1491 by Charles C. Mann - an account of society in pre-colombian america.

20. Chris Noyb

A really embarrassing typo--too late to edit--which should read Indira Gandhi.

-----------------------------------

Some recent thrift store finds.

For reading:

SS-GB a novel by Len Deighton, which should be an interesting read. From the dust jacket flap, "1941, and England invaded---and defeated---by the Germans..."

For reading and because it includes an inscription signed by the author:
    The Diamond Years Of Texas Photography by Ava Crofford.

For possible resale, two scripts in hardback binding:
    Pulp Fiction, with a fake and mispelled (probably an intentional joke) John Trovolta signature.
    The Godfather, with an inscription "signed" by Michael Corleone (a joke by the person who gave the book as a gift is my guess).

Just because it was dirt cheap and possibly very rare:
    St. Louis Burnsians. Their Twentieth Anniversary And Some Other Burns Nights.
    A literary club dedicated to the works of Robert Burns. From the title page, "Printed for Private Distribution to Lovers of Burns by The Burns Club of St. Louis 1924".

• Like Like x 1