1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Well, you could just say that misspellings don't really matter as long as the meaning is clear, but you are too honest for that. Sometimes a little aleatoric element in punctuation, grammar, or word order can lead to a humorous result.
    I read this in college as part of an interdisciplinary course taught by a team of history and English profs. They discussed the points of departure and how they diverged from our timeline. And how the AltHistory genre diverged from SciFi. I'm sure I still have the book. The class had quite a reading list. All I really remember off the top is SS-GB, The Man in the High Tower, and A Canticle for Liebowicz. There's been a lot of water over the AltHistory dam in the last fifteen years.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The Indira Gandhi flub was pure laziness on my part, I didn't check for the correct spelling.

Do you mean The Man In The High Castle, by Philip K. Dick? It's an AltHist novel which I've also read, and need to reread.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lindy

You are correct, of course. I misremembered the title, and didn't check. I'm overconfident in my memory at times. :rolleyes: This being one of those times. I sit corrected.:)

4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I loved The Man in the High Castle: I always felt A Canticle for Liebowitz was a little disappointing, but that may just be a question of tastes.

I have to give a shout-out: I think some of the absolute best AltHistory fiction is by a guy named Harry Turtledove, who is a history prof at Cal State Long Beach, and despite that seems to be able to turn out novels on more or less a weekly basis. Some of his stuff is mediocre-- definite "guilty pleasure" material-- but some is quite good, and some is excellent.

He wrote a series based on his stand-alone novel How Few Remain, that hypothesizes a Civil War won by the South, with a Confederate States and United States existing side by side: besides How Few Remain, there were two sequel trilogies and a tetralogy, which took events in that timeline into the mid-20th century. A terrific series.

Turtledove's stand-alone novel Ruled Britannia hypothesizes an Elizabethan England that lost to the Spanish Armada, and lives under Spanish rule after a successful invasion: the main characters of the book are William Shakespeare and Lope de Vega, and honestly, the book is worth reading just for all the in-joke references to Shakespeare and de Vega plays.

As for the "guilty pleasures," his Worldwar tetralogy follows the course of events when aliens invade earth in 1942, at the height of WWII. If you're looking for great hard science fiction, this is definitely not it-- the first time I read it, I could virtually hear Carl Sagan's spirit howling in protest. But it's a very entertaining story, and hard to put down.

Those are just my favorites, of course. Dude's written probably fifty books, easy.

5. Lindy

Some great fictional characterizations and modifications to characters from our timeline in all of the Southern Victory Series. Also, his stand alone novel Guns of the South, where time traveling South African racists equip some units of Robert E. Lees army with AK-47 assault rifles, again leading to a Southern victory.

And written almost entirely in passable Elizabethan English, as well. Like Will could have written it himself. And he reluctantly leads the revolt against the Spanish himself.

I'll have to read that again. I'm not remembering much of it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I liked Guns of the South but I really think he gave the leader of the Confederacy a bit more credit than they probably deserved in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Just got finished with Midkemia, The Chronicles of Pug - A summary of Raymond E. Feist's long time Magician series, done in 1st-person character perspective.
    Pablum for fan-boys like me.

Now flipping back and forth between Emotional Intelligence 2.0, a Philosophy Book, History of the World (Euro-western perspective) and God Created The Integers (a mathematician history edited by Stephen Hawking)
    Depends on my mood for reading on the train.

8. Chris Noyb

Yesterday I bought U.S.S.A., yet another AltHist novel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindy

Lee recognized the end of slavery as a historical imperative. "We know it's inevitable, so let's control it to limit the collateral damage, rather than have it imposed from outside."

Harry Turtledove likes the idea of historical imperative and it appears all over in his novels.
    Jake Featherston as a Hitler figure in the Southern Victory Series as a prominent example.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stick

Stick Vertical

The Meaning of Relativity - Albert Einstein

11. Chris Noyb

I'm currently about half way through RAJ, a novel by Gita Mehta. This novel set in India is unique, compared to the others that I've read, in that it's told from the perspective of a woman who is a princess in a royal Indian family. Mehta is very critical of the actions of the British, and sympathetic towards the traditional royal families. IMO her views of pre-British India and Indian royalty are seen through "rose colored glasses." To be fair I need finish the novel before rating it. I'll give her writing style a thumbs-up even though she uses many words and terms without definitions or explanations, i.e. some knowledge of the Indian language(s), customs, & social and political structure would be useful to the reader.

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Man, now I have a long list of alt history to read. Thanks, guys.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lindy

Given your wide ranging areas of interest, you might enjoy the 1632 Series, started by Eric Flint.:)
    Official 1632 Fan Site

• Like Like x 2
  14. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Love this series, especially the first one.

15. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

That reminds me, as a major league Marvel Comics fan, one of the best limited series ever, available in graphic novel format, is Marvel 1602, which is an alt-history of a sort imagining some of the great Marvel heroes living in the Elizabethen age. It was written by Neil Gaiman, and is nerdgasmically awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

RAJ was an interesting read, but not a book I'd reccomend. According to the jacket bio Mehta comes from a wealthy family in India, so her viewpoint makes sense.

---------------------------------------------------------

For some lighter reading I'm about 30 pages into Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane, who probably best known for his two novels that were made into movies, Mystic River and Shutter Island. I've read & enjoyed quite a few of his novels. So far GBG hasn't disaapointed.

17. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Reacher books by Lee Child, downloaded from the library to my Samsung Tab 4.....I LOVE it
    (the latest ones are not as good as the early ... I given up on authors who no longer write their own books, but "co author"
    basically they are selling their name...James Patterson....

18. Chris Noyb

Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane was a good read, as I expected from DL. He's not known for his "everybody lived happily ever after" endings, but the ending of GBG disturbed me.....which I'm sure was his intent. Now I'm interested in seeing the movie, wondering how much the novel was "Hollywoodized."

--------------------------------------------------------

At the halfway mark I'm disappointed with U.S.S.A. by David Madsen. Perhaps in 1989, when the book was published, a murder mystery set in the USSR under the control of the USA was a novel idea (intentional pun). I recall many people being curious about Russia and what would happen after the collapse of communism. Maybe the author will pull it together in the last half.

19. Lindy

I just finished finding and re-reading Len Deighton's SS-GB. I found my copy from 1998. Still had a couple pages of my notes folded up in it.

Funny, almost twenty years later, I still take notes in a steno-pad notebook.

It's a murder mystery set in 1941 England after they lost the Battle of Britain and were invaded and taken over by the Germans. There's a lot more to it than that, but basically, it's a murder mystery laid on top of an alternative history.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

I ran across SS-GB in my thrift/resale store searching, but decided to pass on it because my stack of will-read-someday books has grown quite large. I have to force myself to limit the number of books I buy; just because I find them cheap doesn't mean I need to buy them.

Paperbacks are usually a no go because they usually don't age well and my eyesight even with corrective lenses doesn't like small print. Unless it's a book I seriously want to read (The Book Thief being a recent example), or a book that's difficult to find (Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?).

Hardbacks I try to buy as 1st editions with the dust jackets, but again it depends on how much I want the books and/or how "rare" they are (my copy of The Man In The High Castle is a Book Club edition). Since most rare & valuable 1st edtions are truly rare, I don't have many. But I have managed to put together decent small collections of 1st editions by certain authors. Most aren't worth much, and probably won't increase in value much, but they're worth more than the $1.00-$2.00 that I usually pay.