1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth (1992).

Unsworth would've done well to spend much less time on the courtship, and the least likeable character, and more time on the actual mutiny and establishment of the freeman's colony. This also could've reduced the unnecessarily long 630 pages. His overuse of the pidgin dialect wore very thin (I do admit to finding just about every author's attempt at writing dialects tiresome). Sacred Hunger would've made a good tight novel; it isn't a good epic sweeping novel.

----------------------------------

I'm about to start Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My husband has been playing The Witcher II on our 360, and intrigued by Geralt of Rivia, I started reading The Sword of Destiny, the first book in the series the games are based on.

Holy fantasy, Batman! Dragons! Druidic knights! Sorceresses! SHAPESHIFTERS. Paging @Baraka_Guru.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

<3 sorceresses

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My husband's gotten super into it and has read further than I have! If he's not playing the video game, he's apparently reading the book.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz.

Yet another interesting novel that ends with a non-ending. Here's a thought--If a young woman is starting a romance with a young man, with the distinct possiblity of sex and marriage, you might want to suck it up and tell her the truth as to why their union would be a very bad idea.

---------------------------

The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald. I'm 216 pages into this roughly 600 page non-fiction book.

1. The price fixing investigation of Archer Daniels Midland Company and other companies started in 1992.
    2. This book was published in 2000.
    3. This book does not come across as dated. Kudos to Kurt Eichenwald for making & keeping a potentially very dry subject interesting.

6. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Another Jack Reacher: 61 hours. I'm closing in on the end of this marathon (this is book 14) , and should be done by the time that Book 20 ("Make Me") comes out in September.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

A couple of days after I saw this post #22 in another thread mentioning Henry Clay, my Kindle Bookbub email offered the David and Jeanne Heidler biography Henry Clay: The Essential American for a whopping $1.99 so I'm now into that book. The $1.99 should provide at least a couple dozen hours of cheap enjoyment.:)

8. Chris Noyb

Anybody bought the "new" old Harper Lee novel Go Set A Watchman yet? I haven't, but I've seen some of the news reports about how some folks are surprised even shocked.

GSAW was written first, set 20 years after To Kill A Mockingbird, which was written second, set 20 years earlier. It'll be interesting to see how that works. The last time I read sequels and prequels that were written out of order was three of the four Lonesome Dove novels. I wasn't impressed, decided to skip the fourth novel. The thing is McMurty did it intentionally. Lee's order is accidental, if the "believed to be lost, but recently re-discovered" story is true.

9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Never read To Kill A Mockingbird or seen the film for that matter. Sounds like they should be read in the published order.

10. Chris Noyb

Most people interested in Go Set A Watchman will have already read TKAM and probably seen the movie. I've read the book 2-3 times and seen the movies 5-6 times; it's now part of our DVD collection.

The movie TKAM captures the essence of the novel very well (Horton Foote won an Academy Award for writing the screenplay), but the book is definitely worth reading.

11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I finished the series... Really enjoyable. I'm anxiously awaiting the latest!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

Relevant:
    Harper Lee Announces Third Novel, ‘My Excellent Caretaker Deserves My Entire Fortune’ - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris Noyb

I highly recommend The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald. When I read the numerous promo blurbs included in my PB copy, I thought, "Yeah, right, more BS to help sell the book." They're actually right. Someone reading TI without knowing it's a true story would say, "This is a great novel! How did Eichenwald come up with this?".

14. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Killing Yourself To Live - Chuck Klosterman

He's traveling around the US visiting the spots where rock stars have died and thinking about life.
    It's pretty good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Reading some more of the Catherine LeVendeur medieval mysteries by Sharan Newman.

16. IanBrianna

IanBrianna New Member

Just started an anthology of Steampunk called Steampunk'd. Lots of fun. What-if science fiction, takes place in an alternate timeline from the Victorian period forward, when steam technology was developed rather than abandoned.

17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I just finished Touch by Claire North.

Interesting concept where ghosts are able to jump into your body via touch and inhabit your body. This is the story one such ghost as he/she is pursued by forces that don't take kindly to having their bodies invaded. An interesting exploration of gender, the main ghost takes on the identity of its host, regardless of its gender.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

As a side read I have picked up Michael Moorcock's "An Alien Heat" again. I had read his Dancers at the End of Time trilogy decades ago. This book is the first in that series, and the sort of future steampunk-esque atmosphere of the novels are strangely compelling. These are the books that caused me to explore Moorcock's Eternal Champion story arc in subsequent years.

The Dancers at the End of Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 2
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I liked reading the Elric books back in the day. It's been years, perhaps I should read them again.

Have you read Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Baraka_Guru

Elric, yes. There are nice anthologies available now.

I enjoyed the first Chronicles of Amber book and will probably continue the series eventually.

I'll probably want to get to the Dancers at the End of Time too.

• Like Like x 1