1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

It was time for my Annual Harry Potter Reread, and I'm about halfway through Order of the Phoenix. Also dipping in and out of 2010's The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year. 2010 must not have been a great year, to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

A lot depends on the editor(s), what they choose might not actually be "the best."

• Like Like x 1
  3. well hello sexy book nerd. good to see you here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Very true. I've enjoyed other years, so maybe I'm just not jiving with this particular editor.

5. Chris Noyb

I'm switching between two books.

My Life As An Explorer by Sven Hedin (1925). I like his no nonsense writing style. I am going to research his support of Germany during WWI & WWII, but will try not let it detract from his accomplishments presented in this book. My one gripe so far is Hedin seems to be overly awed by pomp and ceremony, at least as a young man.

Caroline Alexander, The Bounty. An in-depth look at the mutiny and the people involved. I just wish that I had found this book close to when I finished the The Bounty Triology by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall.

6. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

8. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Extinction Horizon by Nicholas Stansbury Smith. It's gripping. Helluva good read.

9. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Will do.

I'm trying to figure out her series on that detective. I.e. which order to read.

10. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Michael Bennett series from James Patterson. I'm on "Alert." Book 8, I think. Really cool... He inserted Ted Kazinski. I just finished Lisa Gardner's 'The Neighbor.' Reminiscent of Gillian Flynn.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm reading Fritz Leiber's short-story collection Swords and Deviltry, which includes the first of his Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser sword and sorcery stories. They're actually well written, if you're into heroic fantasy (as compared to epic fantasy). It's the best thing of its kind that I've read since Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

I'm nearly finished it. I'm on "Ill Met in Lankhmar," which won a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award for best novella.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Love Fefhard and the Gray Mouser.
    They were the best fantasy going at the time with the sly, snappy dialogue and great imagery.
    Still hard to beat.

13. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

"Live to Tell" by Lisa Gardner. As and audiobook, it's hugely powerful. Mental illness in children and murder mystery. Great fiction.

14. Chris Noyb

The Complete Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham, volumes I & II.

I don't recall reading any Maugham, but chances are very good I have but didn't note the author's name. I picked the set up because it was cheap (58 cents, VG condition complete with the sleeve), I've seen a fair number of his books, and his name is frequently mentioned as an author worth reading.

15. One hundred years of solitude and some others.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I ripped through 1636: The Saxon Uprising (alternate history -- part of the 1632 Series by Eric Flint) in two days,:) which meant I didn't get much of anything else done.:(

• Like Like x 1
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

The Race for Paris.

WW II novel, based in part on real female reporters , the story of two female war correspondents who defy conventions and military authorities to be among the first to record the liberation of Paris.

18. omega

omega Very Tilted

Also a fritz lieber fan. Even have a collection of his Sci fi short stories.
    Finished The Martian, the one that's bring made into a movie starring Matt Damon. I enjoyed it.

19. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Finished this over the weekend. As for the ending, I too have mixed feelings. Made me feel like the story was stopped before it could have been. But other than that the book was a real mess of characters, intertwined plot advances and surprises. It did keep me reading just to see how things sorted out.

Now that is finished I am reading Justin Cronin's "The Twelve", Lee Child's next Jack Reacher "A wanted Man" & Stephen King's "Full Dark, No Stars" depending which e-device I have handy at the moment.

20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Jack Vance's Dying Earth.

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'm just getting into it.

It reminds me too much of D&D's magic system. Dying Earth was a big early influence on its development.