1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I agree. Anything with context that might be effected by page layout can be ruined on my Kindle. Illustrations, maps, charts, tables, just don't transfer well, and most of those are in non-fiction. Word and line layout can be critical to poetry.

One thing I do like about the Kindle (I don't use a padlet) is being able to read in bed with the room dark. Having a light on makes it hard for my partner to sleep. I also like being able to print out recipes or instructions for the kitchen, which saves decorating a cookbook with greasy fingerprints and tomato sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

An indie rock band from Texas just favourited my 4/5 rating of this book on Twitter.

I've never heard of them before.

Now I have.

See? Social media marketing works!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Just think the movies underplay the level of violence and psychological trauma. In the book, Katniss is severely burned, is close to death on several occasions, etc. Many of the other tributes' deaths were pretty gory. It's not over-the-top violence, but it's certainly not PG-13 level either

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

What the hell do Texans know about music? :p

--------------------------------------------------

Updates:

My Life As An Explorer by Sven Hedin (1925). I'm a little over halfway through. It's interesting to read how Hedin justifies his drive to explore, even when facing almost certain death, at the cost of human and animal life. At times he seems more upset about the deaths of certain dogs than he does the deaths of two of his hired men. Perhaps that's a coping mechanism he needs.

The Complete Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham, volumes I & II. I'm reading these a few at a time because they're rather depressing & dark; the stories are in chronological order, maybe the later ones won't be so morbid. They tend to run together to a certain degree if I don't take a break. Being able to step away for a while is one of the good things about reading short stories.

New:

I'm a fan of Dennis Lehanes's novels, and have just started Live By Night. Only recently did I learn he had written a trilogy, The Given Day (which I've read), Live By Night, & World Gone By.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I need to work on fixing my Nexus 7. It's a 2012 that needs a battery replacement. It may be a question for Tilted Gear: replace battery and/or upgrade to something newer. It doesn't play well with Lollipop. I also prefer reading on a tablet, and my husband just got into reading ebooks, so it would be nice to have around.

6. Baraka_Guru

If it's a dedicated reading device, then stick with it, as the hardware requirements for reading ebooks aren't that high. Would it make sense to replace the battery and go to a previous version of the OS? What would it cost?

If you're using it for other things (games/apps/video), then maybe a new one would make sense.

For the record, I have a Kobo Arc that runs Jelly Bean. I don't often use it for things like Netflix, but I can. It's a bit sluggish in navigating and launching things, but it's fine when using various apps.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  7. redux

redux Very Tilted

8. Yup. This is my life now.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

So you are going to stop crapping your pants?

10. Thank you for such elegant banter on this literary board.

11. Chris Noyb

I finished Live By Night by Dennis Lehane. It's an entertaining read, but there were (for me) too many situations that made me think 'He is really lucky' and 'Why would he do something that stupid?'. Thankfully it's much pared down compared to The Given Day.

Next up is Hardcore Troubadour, The Life & Near Death of Steve Earle by Lauren St. John. Many musician and celebrity autobiographies and biographies leave a lot to be desired; I'm not far enough into it yet to see if LSJ did a good job.

12. redux

redux Very Tilted

Steve's kid, Justin Townes Earle is making a name for himself. The "Townes" is for Townes Van Zandt.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris Noyb

I never realized how involved Steve Earle was in the Houston music scene. I don't remember all of the clubs mentioned (I was too young to go to clubs or pay close attention to music that wan't played on the radio), but I recall some of them. Reading the names of many of the people he hung out with is like a walk down memory lane of Houston's active alternative music (I'll use Country Folk as a general description) scene.
    --- merged: Aug 31, 2015 at 9:46 AM ---

Townes Van Zandt, who had a complex and many times very trying personality, was Steve Earle's mentor in some ways and definitely his musical "hero." It's amazing that Townes lived to be 52, given his addiction issues and destructive behavior.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
  14. Baraka_Guru

A reread: For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life by Thích Nhất Hạnh.

15. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Finished. Quite an interesting read. I found myself pausing and opening up Google Streetview of Seoul a few times to see the setting. This was a quick read, and when it ended, I kind of wished for it to go on.

16. omega

omega Very Tilted

The graphic adaption of The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. It's a two volume graphic novel, picked them both up from the library. So far it sticks close to the book. Loved the book by way.

17. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Just started Jack Glass - The Story of a Murderer by Adam Roberts.

From an Amazon review: This is most excellent stuff, this triptych of 'locked-room mysteries'. Inspired by both the 'Golden Age of Sci-Fi' and similarly classic whodunits, Adam Roberts has fashioned a Space Opera that satisfies both the imagination and the intellect.

Jack Glass eBook: Adam Roberts: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

18. Chris Noyb

Rocannon's World by Ursula K. LeGuin, the first novel in a book of three LeGuin novels. I like her writing style, but so far the story is more fururistic fantasy than Sci-Fi. I don't know if the other two novels tie into this one, but I won't bother finding out unless something really interesting happens in RW.

19. Chris Noyb

20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I managed to get my hands on the entire set of Scott Pilgrim graphic novels.
    I loved the movie and much of it comes straight from the book but there are some major differences.
    It is a great series.