1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

The movie was interesting, I liked that the setting was kept true by Universal Studios, and the Toronto vibe came through. "Bathurst Street is practically the cerebral cortex of Scott Pilgrim" * Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

"The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. For the eighty-billionth time.

3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Time for my annual re-read of The Wheel of Time series. Just about to finish book #3. Eleven more to go.

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee.
    Amazing, sobering, useful stuff

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Spoiler alert!

Spoiler alert!

What a weird book, Middlepost by Antony Sher. Every character, with the possible exception of a woman who has a flatulence problem that isn't her fault, is flawed, some much more than others. I couldn't figure out if the main character was truly an imbecile, or just clueless when it was convenient. How could a person spend over two years in South Africa, yet only learn five words of English, and no Afrikaner? Imfuckingpossible. Why would he sick a mob on the only two people, natives who had worked as servants, whohad gone out of their way to be nice to him without wanting something in return? Perhaps it was his surrender to the dark side, as the end of the book (which sucks) seems to indicate.

6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The Windup Girl

An interesting and pretty realistic Sci-Fi novel by Paolo Bacigalupi
    Good cultural references...if your culture is a hybrid of American/Asian and very corrupt, in the trenches, biotech manufacturing...and climate change impact.
    Very seedy and dark...but a juicy read. Lots of "in your head" thoughts, why people do what they do...for good & bad

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I discovered, for better or for worse, that I can purchase Japanese light novels on my Kindle app. I just finished volume 1 of S., a story featuring a reluctant romance between a Yakuza and a detective, which is of course the most ridiculous setup in this kind of fiction and therefore my favorite. The translation was a bit rough at times, but the story was pretty good. The sex scenes really sealed the deal.

8. Chris Noyb

My Life As An Explorer by Sven Hedin (1925). I'm back to reading this, a little at a time because for some reason this seems to work best for me.

I'm going to start The Best American Short Stories of the Century (1999), John Updike, Editor, Katrina Kennison, Co-Editor. Like the Maugham short stories collection, I'll read these 2-3 at a time.

Now I need to dig through my Will-Get-To-Someday stack of books. One benefit of buying books dirt cheap is they can sit for a while with no guilt, no late fees, etc. I very rarely pay more than $2.00 for a HBwDJ unless it's a very rare book with some $$ value, or maybe a Coffee Table book that cost a small fortune new (would you buy Scott Adams 20 Years of Dilbert in the slip case in VG+/NM condition $2.99?).

9. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

do you have an author? I searched Amazon.ca and found S. by Doug Dorst (&J.J. Abrams)

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm picking this up again after taking a break to read other things.

11. snowy

It's by Saki Aida. I only recommend it if you're into dudes banging dudes.

12. Baraka_Guru

It's liked by dudes who are into dudes banging other dudes.

/TropicThunder'd!

13. omega

omega Very Tilted

I heard that Alpa Cino and Lance Bass liked it.

14. snowy

Oh man, that's a complex issue. Yaoi/BL is largely written for women. Most yaoi authors have never actually met a gay man. However, I can assert, based on my time in other fora devoted to the topic, that gay men do read and love yaoi/BL...just maybe not in Japan.

15. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Speaking of which ... ahem... Book 20 of the Jack Reacher series is on the book store shelves now. Make Me was going for a 25% discount on the hardcover at Coles today. I will be looking for the epub tonight.

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

Just picked up The Jazz Palace.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baraka_Guru

I'm nearly halfway through Pippi Longstocking. It's pretty awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Quote from near the end of the book: 'I don't believe it, she said. But of course she did. She grokked its rightness right away.'

Love it.

19. Chris Noyb

I finally finished My Life As An Explorer by Sven Hedin. An interesting read if Tibet & the surrounding areas, and/or life-and-death exploration, is of interest to you. I enjoyed it, but read it in small doses.

For a quick & easy-on-the-brain read, I'm about halfway through The Printer's Devil, a Young Adult novel by Paul Bajoria. The main character is a 12 year old boy--a runaway orphan barely scraping by working in a print shop, but grateful for the job--turned detective.

Blindness (1995) by Jose Saragamo, a Portuguese writer who won the Nobel Prize For Literature in 1998. I'm about 40 pages into this novel. So far the social commentary and philosophical musings don't fit well with a book about a mysterious blindness. It'll be interesting to see where Saragamo takes this novel.

20. BabySquirrel got a package in the mail from a very cool kid here on TFP.

Thank you @Cynthetiq for the new books.