1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I just finished "Sugar" which had been a free Kindle book awhile back. I forgot how much I love to read. Exam is in 9 days and 4 hours. Lockdown studying commences in 2 days. Enough time to get through at least one more novel. I miss regular books, but there's no time to hit the library. Free Kindle titles on Amazon it is!
    Oh, and I'm almost through David Baldacci's "The Camel Club" on audiobook. It's okay, too. Creative, but a little to terroristy for my preferences.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I just started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I'm on page 38, not far enough into it to have a set opinion, but at this point I'm hoping that Larsson stops introducing so many characters and starts connecting them in some way.

-----------------------------------

I finished The Printer's Devil, a Young Adult novel by Paul Bajoria. It was just OK.....but keep in mind I'm about four decades past being a Young Adult. This is book one, published in 2005, in an ongoing series which I have no interest in following. For perspective, I did read The Hunger Games triology. Partially because of the hype, but mostly because I think they're well-written.

----------------------------------------

Since I'm already posting, a few books from my recent resale/thrift store run:

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. Some posts in this thread by a new member stirred my curiosity.

Charlotte Bronte, Complete and Unabridged, compilation of four novels: Jane Eyre, Shirley, Villette, and The Professor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Tara Brach's True Refuge. I wanted to start with her Radical Acceptance, but it's really popular. I'm on a waiting list at the library.

4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Currently about halfway through Warm Bodies. It's surprisingly better than the movie trailer would have you believe.

5. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I went to a garage sale/downsizing sale today and made an offer for all the left-overs, so I bought several hundred books, mostly history, biography, military and naval history, (the guy is a retired naval officer) along with some alt history, economics, architecture and engineering, two pairs of upper end stereo speakers from Paradigm and Magnepan, a couple of Linn amps, a big pile of CDs (classical and jazz) and a cordless phone outfit with five extensions. And some other stuff. All for $500.00 I've been kicking myself ever since.

I have to get all the books out of his house by Tuesday, when the guy who bought all the bookshelves is picking them up.

For tonight, I've settled in with Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire by Richard Frank. I've always loved history, and have a special interest in how the endgame plays out in various wars.

Tomorrow, I schlep.:eek:

6. omega

omega Very Tilted

Tell more about the speakers. I have a set of paradigm studio 20s. I have heard a couple pair of Maggies and they are very nice. They need a lot of wattage but they sound good.

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I am exploring more authors thanks to goodreads lately. Just started Michael Connelly's "Blood Work."

8. Chris Noyb

I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I enjoyed it. Stieg Larsson kept things moving, but it would've benefited from some editing, namely the cutting way back on the history of the Vangar family. It's a shame that he passed away before the money from the books sales and movie deals started rolling in.

9. CinnamonGirl

I started another Kindle Daily Deal book yesterday: The Dead Don't Dance, by Charles Martin. I liked the first chapter, but I've kind of lost interest since then. It started out very prose-y and beautiful, then...I don't know. The dialogue seems stilted, and it's gotten a little overly exposition-y. I'll give it one more chapter before throwing in the towel.

10. Chris Noyb

"Blindness (1995) by Jose Saragamo, a Portuguese writer who won the Nobel Prize For Literature in 1998. I'm about 40 pages into this novel. So far the social commentary and philosophical musings don't fit well with a book about a mysterious blindness. It'll be interesting to see where Saragamo takes this novel."

I went back this book, and am very tempted to set it aside permanently. Saragamo doesn't use quotation marks (which I can live with, think Carmac McCarty), but he frequently has two or more characters speaking in the same paragraph, and it isn't always clear who is speaking. That gets very annoying. I'll try it in small pieces.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

This is a freebie deal of the day.

The Dirty Parts of the Bible.

12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I recognized the quality right away, as the audiophile disease, especially for speakers, runs all through my family from my grandparents on down.

The "Maggies" are grey model 1.5s about 6 feet tall, not really heavy, but very awkward to move. Owner says they need a good size room, and need to be at least 3 feet from walls or corners, so I may have trouble with finding a good setup area with enough space.

The Paradigms are the "Titan" model, a great name for a small speaker. He also gave me a pair of "Atoms" and a tiny Lepai amp, and those are going to go on my desk as computer speakers.:)

I think I have also made a friend with this old guy, once he figured out that I wasn't just another bottom feeding reseller. He asked me, in my boyfriend's presence, if he could take me out for "a strictly platonic" lunch or dinner to talk about music and life. Not wanting to put Sig on the spot, I demurred, and said we could talk about when I came to get the next load of books. Sig later said he had no problem with me going out with "some 75 year-old codger" so, I may have found someone here, outside of academia, who loves and can talk about classical music. That makes me very happy.:D I'll see how the extra-generational friendship works out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris Noyb

Go for it. Old people can be really cool.

My musician/music teacher wife has struck up a friendship with an old guy widower at church. His wife was an amateur musician, flutist mostly, and he's very happy to have found someone who appreciates her hobby. I'm also trying to get my wife to meet a TFPer who now lives in the Houston area. They're both into music, and are involved in the same religion.

EDIT--I was in a resale/trhift store and spotted a pair of Bose speakers for $39.99. I have no idea what model they were, they were relatively small (maybe 24"H, 18"W, 18"D) and had multiple tweeters. Unfortunately the woman who saw them first and was standing in front of them eventually talked her husband into buying them :(.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Baraka_Guru

Jack Vance's Eyes of the Overworld.

Cugel the Clever's an asshole, but it's hilarious.

15. Chris Noyb

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I'm about 124 pages into it, and like it so far. Wroblewski's writing is much like that of John Irving, IMO.

16. Chris Noyb

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

I seriously despise 'open' endings that leave characters hanging and situtations unresolved. I don't care if "it's a metaphor for (whatever)," to me it means the author had no idea how to end the novel.

Spoiler alert.

Spoiler alert.

Spoiler alert.

We can be pretty certain that Claude and Edgar died in the fire, even though their actualdeaths are not clear cut.
    Most likely Trudy and Glen will eventually talk in depth and figure out that Claude was up to no good, and Edgar somehow discovered something about it. What won't be known is Claude killed his brother Gar, who was Trudy's husband and Edgar's father.

The ghost of Gar talking to Edgar was a bit much, as was the old woman seer/psychic/clairvoyant who ran the general store. And Claude becoming Trudy's lover then cohabitant after Gar's death.

All of the dogs gathering to join a stray and running away from the only home they had ever known (actually one dog had went with Edgar when he ran away for two months). I suppose that is supposed to be some great metaphor.

17. Baraka_Guru

Patrick Rothfuss' Slow Regard of Silent Things.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Paddy Whacked: The Untold Story of the Irish American Gangster: T. J. English: 9780060590031: Amazon.com: Books

19. CinnamonGirl

Currently two chapters into Becoming Maria: Love and Chaos in the South Bronx, by Sonia Manzano. On my last drive from Ohio back to NC, I came across her being interviewed on NPR, and ended up listening to the entire segment (which included a "quiz show" contest about Sesame Street trivia that I am happy to say I would've won had I been a participant.) I always loved her on Sesame Street, and vaguely remember hearing she'd be retiring; but beyond that, I knew very little about her. She's a very warm, funny, charming lady, and I was pleasantly surprised that the interview was, in part, to promote her recently published book.

Again, I'm only a couple chapters in, but I'm..."enjoying" it seems like the wrong word. She didn't have an easy childhood, and she doesn't shy away from that. But I love her writing style, and I'm finding it very easy to lose myself in her memories.