1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by sapiens, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

The rereads continue. Chronicles of Narnia this time, and I'm a little less than halfway through The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (that one and The Silver Chair are my favorites.) Finished Lion and Caspian over the weekend.

Debating doing His Dark Materials next, as both a reverse perspective, and in preparation for the TV adaptation. I don't really remember the second one, and I never got around to the third one, so it will be nice to refresh/catch up.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I enjoyed TCON*, even though I read it for the first time as an adult. So much so I replaced my thick PB copy with a large HB, The Complete Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis, Illustrated in color by Pauline Baynes (2000). Of course I bought at a thrift store, dirt cheap ;) (same as the PB).

* Despite the subtle and not-so-subtle 'God chose, and wants, white people to rule the lesser peoples' messages.
    Long live Good White Christians! :rolleyes:
    Long live British imperialism! :rolleyes:

3. CinnamonGirl

I think part of the reason I love the Narnia books so much is that I was very young when I read the first one, and only a little older when I read the rest of the series. I had no idea it was supposed to be Christian allegory until high school, and I'd read them countless times by then. Even now, the only one that seems overtly religious to me is The Last Battle (which, probably not coincidentally, is my least favorite of the series.)

I own the large "all books together" huge paperback, that has the series in chronological order—I don't ever read them in that order. Publishing order is the best way to read them, in my opinion. I had them as a set that I bought in 7th grade (in the original order), but lost almost half of them in a not-pretty incident with my mom when I was 19ish. :( I always say I'm going to find an original set, but I haven't yet. Maybe that will be my Christmas present to myself this year.

4. Chris Noyb

I admit to reading the series only once (the huge PB), and I never knew the publishing order wasn't chronological. I've only read one series (actually three of the four books), Lonesome Dove, where the publishing order wasn't chronological. By the end of the third book I had had enough of McMurty's writing (good stories, not so good writing).

Way back when my mom cleared out many of my books without bothering to ask me if I wanted them.

5. CinnamonGirl

Yep, original order was:

1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    2. Prince Caspian
    3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    4. The Silver Chair
    5. The Horse and His Boy
    6. The Magician's Nephew
    7. The Last Battle
    Harper Collins moved the Magician's Nephew to #1 and The Horse and His Boy to #3. I mean, it doesn't make THAT huge of a difference, I guess, but I think the series as a whole is more enjoyable in the original order.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

:cool: info. I should print that and stick in the HB should I ever read TCON again (I need to, at a more leisurely pace), in the correct order.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

I have to correct something I wrote. McMurty wrote the Lonesome Dove tetralogy (I had to look that up....yet again) out of chronological order. I'm still not sure in what order the books were written (they definitely weren't written in chronological order) and in what order they were published.

8. Chris Noyb

I'm enjoying The Martian by Any Weir.

Opening line: I'm pretty much fucked.
    Line on page 14: My asshole is doing as much to keep me alive as my brain.

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We've been watching extras from LOTR in my film class, and in them, Christopher Lee mentions that he rereads the books every year. I admitted that I got the idea from him, and the kids were curious as to why a clearly capable reader would choose to read a book over and over again (I'm at 15 reads, roughly). I said, y'know, the really brilliant books, the ones that make you want to read them over and over again, contain countless layers, and every time I reread a book I love dearly (numerous to be sure), I uncover a new layer, which tends to renew my love for that book in particular. It gratifies me to see other readers enjoy the same experience.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Totally. I've been reading Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion annually for probably thirty years now, I still find new things, or find myself looking at something in a new way, revealing new ideas.

And the same goes for any number of other great works: Les Miserables, Moby-Dick, the Tanach (Hebrew Scriptures), and others. To a more limited extent, it goes for lesser "good fun" works also.

The ability to return to a work over and over for deeper and deeper experience is the sign of good art, and the sign of a focused, creative mind.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've read The Lord of the Rings only once, but I intend to reread it relatively soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

WHAT.

13. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

WHAT.

14. Baraka_Guru

15. snowy

What are you doing with your life?

16. Baraka_Guru

That's a good question. I don't know.

I'm not a rereader. Besides the books I've edited, I've reread only The Dhammapada, Thich Nhat Hanh's For a Future to Be Possible, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the novel; I've only read that one out of the series). The Dhammapada I've read maybe four or five times. The other two just twice.

I did read The Fellowship of the Ring in my late teens, but for some reason I didn't continue. I read the whole thing in my early twenties. I figure that it's been long enough (more than 15 years) that it's due for a reread. It's certainly one of the top choices of books that I wouldn't mind reading again.

17. snowy

For me, one of the great things about rereading this book in particular is how much of Tolkien's world I am able to recall and analyze at will. For example, I am able to demonstrate many of the skills I want my students to have via my deep understanding of this text, and because they all have some vague knowledge of it, they're able to relate to what I'm saying. Additionally, there is some great poetry in that book (some middling, too). I also have done "quick" rereads: I start at Bree or Rivendell and go from there. Sometimes I'll also skip the Sam and Frodo parts. But I have read the book in its entirety at least 15 times, and I appreciate every one of those times, as they have given me something new, whether it's in the text itself or some connection I have been able to make.

I get great joy from being a scholar of this text in particular.

If someone wants to buy me a class set of The Hobbit, I would gladly teach it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baraka_Guru

19. snowy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

I can understand that :D.