1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What Can't You Do?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by martian, Dec 20, 2013.

1. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I have huge problems thinking in 3 dimensions.
    Anything that takes assembly, and has sidedness, is a real challenge for me.

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Instant answer for me is: swim
    I learned how to float on my back and barely swim right before going to boot camp via lessons at the local pool, but the first time I was ever off a diving board was at Great Lakes. That was easily the hardest and scariest part of the whole thing despite knowing there were divers in the pool that had to save me from what could have been a drowning in other environments. I was able to break the surface and float on my back long enough to pass on the second try, but never have been near a diving board since and no desire to get in water over my head without some type of life vest.
    --- merged: Dec 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM ---
    One in the "getting old/broken down" category - Jump (at least nowhere near how I used to)
    Back in high school I could grab the rim easily even on a bad day. Mind you, this is when I actually cared about such things. I am grateful to walk without discomfort in my knees or occasionally feet now, and couldn't care less about grabbing a basketball rim or blocking a shot (that part was fun though)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

This thread makes me feel better about my room temperature IQ and average looks.

I can knock out two dozen pullups on a bad day. Stupid human tricks, no?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm also an utter failure at ironing. It defies logic. I'm a grown-ass man. I can do crazy-ass things with a Linux terminal. I'm not stupid and I'm certainly capable in other aspects of my life, but I can't for the life of me handle the simple task of using a hot iron to remove the wrinkles from my pants.

But I can do a pullup. Not two dozen, but I can handle one. So I got that going for me.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am a package wrapping machine. Just the other morning, my wife was on her way out the door and was complaining that she hadn't wrapped a present for a colleague. In the time it took for her to put her shoes on, I had that thing wrapped and presentable.

As for what I can't do, poached eggs. I never get it right. I've tried everything short of those stupid microwave cups and just can't get them to come out right. So, I just make perfectly soft boiled eggs and use them like poached.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Alton Brown has an amazing recipe for poached eggs. Comes out perfect every time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

@noodle, tried it and messed it up.

I think it's just a mental block for me.

8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I can wrap presents and I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't know how to swim.

But I cannot sing.
    Well, it might be more accurate to say that I can sing (and often do) just not very well.

I can't play any video games that involve driving. Total ineptitude.

I know there are other things, but I'm too tired to think of them right now.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I can do driving ones.
    I canNOT do the shooting and button-mashing games.
    I totally suck at those. Except Primal Rage at the arcade. And I think that one is just luck.

10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I wish.
    --- merged: Dec 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM ---
    I really just can't believe that of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  11. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I call bullshit on this. You're probably smarter than me. And I have an IQ in the triple digits.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Listen, the worst thing a society can allow is an inflated sense of intelligence. I'm not a genius. I recognize and accept this.

Another thing I can't do? Pump myself up on the idea that I'm an exceptional snowflake. I'm not.

TFP has medical practitioners, lawyers, scientists and musicians.

I bring nothing of serious value to the table.

And, really, it's okay. I sell toilets.

Somebody has to it.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I can't act like a responsible adult.

I can't function like a productive member of society.

I can't watch TV.

I can't dance.

I can't talk.

The only thing about me is the way I walk.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FreeVerse

FreeVerse Screw Tilted, I'm all the way upside down.

oooOooOooooo....Reminded by Kramus... I also, can NOT catch anything thrown at me. Nor can I dodge it. Creepily enough, I hit anything I throw something at, right where I want it to land, and have brilliant aim with firearms of all types, and all distances I've attempted. But yeah, if you throw it at me, it's just gonna hit me and bounce off and have me standing there looking at you stupidly because I CANT catch. It's bad enough that if one of my nieces or someone too young to KNOW I can't catch anything, throws something at me and I DO catch it - the adults nearby applaud.
    I am also incapable of being late. If you are running behind and I am your ride, I mean running behind by even 30 seconds, I WILL leave you because I can not be late. I am one of those people that will creepily sit in my car for 45 minutes before something starts, because I must not ever be late. It made me a wonderful asset to the company when I drove limousine, but can be REALLY annoying to people that are a part of my daily life.
    --- merged: Dec 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM ---

OMG... I have spent so much time in Second Life that watching television and movies annoys me to the point of wanting to take a baseball bat to the screen because I Can't cam around behind things and look at things that aren't currently in the shot on the screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

GODDAMNIT, PHIL COLLINS GOT ME AGAIN.

Ugh, I'm totally in American Psycho mode now.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Neither can I, not all the time.

Fortunately, it doesn't matter much any more. I can stay home and vegetate for days, if I want. My paycheck is direct deposited.

I never thought so much could happen just reading TFP.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I can't crack someone else's back. I'd love to have that touch, but I just don't.

18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I can't twerk. I don't have enough lard in my ass to get a good jiggle going.:D

19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

:(

20. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

I can’t watch an entire football game. I may have watched a whole Super bowl, but other than that I don’t think I have watched a whole game from beginning to end, like ever. Never.
    I can't take orders.