1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What chores do you not enjoy?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Eating.

No, really.

Cleaning the oven. I'm too tall. It's cramped. The interior is lined with black metal and the substance that I am supposed to be removing is also black.

I'm too OCD to do the self-cleaning oven thing. It isn't self-cleaning. That's the logic that killed so many grunts in Vietnam with the original M16.

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

the m16 was self cleaning? i never heard of that and i did lug one around on occasion over there...

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

According to the history books, due to the shortage of weapon cleaning kits and lack of operator manuals detailing the maintenance process, some of the poor saps in olive drab issued the original M16 were falsely told that it was self-cleaning. The direct impingement gas system combined with the wrong type of propellant (dirty old military ball type, instead of the newer and tested stick type), the aforementioned lack of maintenance training and weapon cleaning kits when used in the sloppy jungles of South East Asia killed more than one round-eyed 18 year old. Totally fucked a lot of grunts.

/threadjack

To stay with the thread:

I hate cleaning the upper receiver of the AR15 (M16) type rifle. Biggest pain in the ass of any gun I've ever owned aside from a Ruger Mark II pistol.

4. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

that i knew...

i had a kit sent from home...

5. james t kirk

james t kirk New Member

Cleaning the shower.

Other than that, it's all fine.

6. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Fucking yard work. Even the equipment maintenance is too often and expensive when you compare the engine run time. I could complain on and on. ...why does the spindle on a weed eater spin in the direction of your shins and cause bodily harm? If it turned counter clockwise it would throw the trimming and rocks away from you. SOMEBODY FIX THIS

• Like Like x 1
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Dishes...I hate dishes. :mad:

I'd rather clean the bathroom.
    Steam clean the floors.
    Repair something.

And when I had a house, yardwork...this is why I live in an apartment now.
    I want someone else to deal with it all.

When it comes to residences, it's more important to DO than have.
    I'd only have a house again if I had a big family and she did the gardening or pay for it to be done.

I'll go outside to have fun. Swim, bike, hike, climb, etc...
    Not dig in the dirt, not rake leaves, cut grass, shovel snow, etc.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

You have to hold the trimmer to your left and work moving backwards, which is counter intuitive for most people. I'm half-assed ambidextrous so it doesn't bother me.

I hate performing just about every type of indoor housework: Sweeping, mopping, vacumming, cleaning counter tops, showers, toilet bowls, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

10. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I have no problem mowing the lawn or maintaining the bushes, but weeds. FUCK WEEDS. My landscaping in my backyard is some sort of weed super-breeding ground that cannot be contained

11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Dishes. I'm really good at getting a lot clean quickly, but I've hated doing them ever since I got the hernias. Reminds me too much of that job.

The crud on the oven walls looks different than black metal though.

12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Scrubbing down anything outside. Around here, we really need a power washer to hose off the patio, bricks, etc. Otherwise there's an impossible biofilm that forms. Which of course our HOA doesn't appreciate. And of course we don't have a power washer. Yet. And we're too cheap to hire someone to do it for us. So I scrub and scrub - and there's very little reward.

13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Why not rent one?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We got a portable one for around $120 at home depot. It wasn't too bad.

• Like Like x 1
  15. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, we'll probably do that eventually. But we hesitate to have more stuff around that we infrequently use and would need to store.
    See... that's smart. Fixes the problem and deals with all our hangups at once.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Mopping the vast expanse of tile floor in this giant house is super boring. I almost miss vacuuming.
    I find yard work fun, tho'. I consider it the equivalent of playing outside. Gotta sweep the walk pretty frequently too on account of the dry dustiness. Don't mind the excuse for outside time.

17. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Meh for chores, revisited four years later, in current descending order of dislike:
    1. Picking up chihuahua shit from the back yard, the rug beside the front door, the kitchen floor, the living room floor, inside his crate, or anywhere else he decides to unload.
    2. Cleaning the kitchen countertops, especially after girlfriend prepares any meal
    3. Scooping the litterbox
    4. Cleaning the bathroom
    5. Sweeping/mopping the floor
    The last two are a lot less soul-sucking now with a spankin' new bathroom and newly refinished floors within the last year. But now that they've been redone, it makes taking better, frequent care of both more necessary.... and I'm still lazy.

I don't really mind other housekeeping-type chores, and my house is pretty small, but honestly I wouldn't mind hiring a monthly or every-other-week cleaning service, just to deal with all but #1 and #4 on that list.

18. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

folding clothes.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Housework in general.

Hanging up shirts to dry. We let our laundry pile up, so when I do it there are many shirts, which I place on hangers to dry.

Tedious. Foul mood.

20. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I would highly recommend getting someone, including #4 (especially that, IMHO)
    The right person is inexpensive. (est ~25/hr for 2-3 hrs - to make it worth their while coming)

...It's just a matter of trust for me, I need to know they are actually cleaning and not just pushing things around.
    Even the pro vendors often have staff that doesn't do it. If I'm going to pay, they need to do it right.

The virus factor for now has prevented me getting a new one for my new place for now.
    But having it done every 2 weeks is nice.

I do the normal stuff, of course.
    but getting the details done and nitty-gritty, it's good for being really civilized.

Funny how you havta pre-clean before they come so they're not wasting time on bulk or things they won't/can't do.

• Like Like x 2