1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What creeps you out?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Joniemack, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I admit that I'm repulsed by most insects. Even those I'm not repulsed by, like butterflies and bumblebees, I don't want to handle. I came across this photo of the Great Weta and though I can appreciate the fact that it's cool as hell, I felt my throat close up.

Giant Wetas

[​IMG]

And this stick insect - fascinating but I would never let it near me.
    [​IMG]

So what creeps you out or sets off your irrational fear?

2. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Insects don't bother me at all, snakes either, Maybe they were just so common growing up on the farm... They have some huge cockroaches at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, but I just find that interesting. The Zoo is a great place, worth a sidetrip if you're ever anywhere near the area. Henry Doorly Zoo is world class.:)
    Butterfly and Insect Pavillion | Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo | Visit Omaha | Entertainment Omaha

But I have an irrational fear of heights. I cannot go out on a hotel balcony, although sometimes I just force myself to do it.
    I know it's irrational, so it's a fear that I try to confront, but I haven't had much luck conquering this. A couple of years ago I walked across the pedestrian bridge over the Royal Gorge in Colorado. It's made out of perforated metal, so you can see right down through it.
    It makes me queasy just thinking about it.

Airplanes too. I would drive halfway across the country to avoid flying. But I can do it. I can calm myself enough to fly if I must, but I'll go to considerable lengths to avoid it if I can.

Lindy

3. LinaT14

LinaT14 Vertical

Augh. Creepy crawlies? The worst was dancing in the shower with a gecko. Of course, it wasn't very big; about 1-1/2 to 2 inches long, and skin-toned. But it was enough to creep me out big time. Unfortunately, my flailing about and screaming caused my shampoo bottle to come crashing down on it by accident and then I had to deal with the mess, too. Eeewwww!

4. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I've found that since having been shit on multiple times by an infant there hasn't really been anything to break my creepy barrier.

Perhaps the basement is the closest thing. Once all the lights are and out it's pitch black - it's not creepy but I'm not hanging out down there.

5. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Praying Mantises creep me out, and now apparently that stick insect, too. Thanks, Joniemack!
    Some spiders creep me out, some don't. Weird, but true.
    Joan Rivers now creeps me out with her over-processed face.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Had to look up the Great Weta, and yes, good god.
    Plus the oversized grasshoppers we have down here.
    Sloths kind of give me the creeps, too, although not as badly. All gangly and slow and pointy-toed. Kind of creepy.

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

The dad from 28 Weeks Later.
    And Chuckie.
    When you hear kids giggling in low tones from the other room.
    Pennywise.
    Sand spiders. The really big ones that, when you whack them with a fly swatter, they're able to wrap their legs around the edges and hold on rather than die like the furry, creepy scum they are.
    Guys in bars with stories about spear fishing. Or making lamps.
    Necrotizing fasciitis.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Drug users.
    Republicans.
    Giant lobsters.
    Serious Christians.
    Japanese cartoons.
    Most Midwest girls.
    Black kids in hoodies.
    Government monitoring programs.
    Tension pneumothorax decompression.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Obviously Rick Astley does not belong on your list.

Creeps me out now but I would've fucked him back in the day.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Are you kidding? He's an icon of hope. And monogamy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. nikkiana New Member

Cockroaches. Particularly, cockroaches that seem to crawl out of the drain and run across my foot when I'm trying to take a shower. Not cool, man. Not cool.

• Like Like x 1
  12. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm not squeamish. Cockroaches, spiders, snakes and worms and frogs. Whatever.

But I can't stand maggots. Just all small and white and squirmy. Disgusting. I get chills just thinking about it.

13. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

Pee wee Herman
    Spiders
    Super meal worms we feed to my daughters gecko

14. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I like spiders, but they tend to skeeve me out, if they are crawling on me. The uber-religious certainly creep me out, but if it weren't for them Halloween wouldn't be nearly as creepy fun...​

• Like Like x 1
  15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

One day daughter #2 came running up to the house, she was about 3 or 4, and she held out her hand to me just as proud as could be, to show me a fistful of fat, squirming maggots that she had found in a dead fish. Love reminding her of that incident.

16. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Oh god, why would you tell me that story?

You've put me off my breakfast.

17. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

The Toddlers and Tairas show.
    Sexualizing and putting your 5 year old daughter on public display creeps the hell out of me.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

But grubs are delicious for breakfast.

Wash and prepare. Try them fried.

19. Snakes
    Old girlfriends - a few of them
    A shirtless Plan9

20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Just for you, buddy.

[​IMG]