1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What creeps you out?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Joniemack, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I hadn't heard the one about our eating spiders in our sleep. That *is* creepy.
    Thanks for that. :eek:

Did you hear the saying that, "You are rarely more than six feet away from a spider."?
    That creeps me out.

2. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

These pictures, the exhibit that they portray and the event that precipitated both.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brown recluse must be a spinster black widow?

• Like Like x 1
  4. PlaysWithPixels

PlaysWithPixels Getting Tilted

lol... You could say that. Particularly since they're harder to recognize.
    [​IMG]
    I easily would confuse them with a common house spider, so they all get killed in my apartment.

5. Must rain all the time in your neck of the woods :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. PlaysWithPixels

We're in a drought actually. Do I need to kill more spiders to make that end?

7. It would be more humanitarian of you to go outside and do a crazy dance.

8. PlaysWithPixels

Not doing it outside - but I am going to Zumba tonight - so I kinda have that down.

It also creeps me out to have my toes hanging over the bed when I sleep. Fingers either.

9. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

Ah, From the many who brought you I Am Legend, Richard Matheson. Creeps my wife out too. You really want creepy, though, read the short story it's based on, "He Who Kills".
    --- merged: Apr 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM ---
    Fresh wounds from cutting or burning, but only on other people. (I don't care much for them on me either, but I can handle it.)
    Loud, crowded places. (I sweat and get anxious. It's not pretty.)
    Reality television, and no, I'm not saying that to make fun. The stupidity of it offends and disgusts me.
    Morbidly obese people who dress like they're stick thin teenagers (cf. people of Walmart.)
    Dental pain.
    Any insect with significant mandibles.
    Guntards.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I'd only add Scientologists, Catholic priests (or really anyone whose taken a vow to never have sex) and "Amway families" to that list. Other then that looks pretty damn complete.

11. Ever heard of a dobsonfly? I was well nigh traumatized when one of these lighted on the bare skin of my leg as a child. They're harmless but try telling that to a seven year old boy.
    --- merged: Apr 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM ---
    I use to have a phobia about my arm hanging off the bed when I was a kid because something under the bed might grab it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  12. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Holy Crapsticks Batman!!! I'm now scared of the dobsonsfly

13. Tophat665

Adult male dobsonfly mandibles, like male stag beetles, are so out of proportion to the creature that they pop out the other side of creepy and into neat/ridiculous.
    Female dobsonfiles and larvae (Hellgrammites) on the other hand.... My scalp crawls as I type. And the thought of James Dobson being able to fly is utterly horrific.

Where I grew up, we had the closely related snake flies, which were irritating but not creepy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Snakes.....

15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

The noises my stomach makes after 900ml of Ready-Cat 2 Very Berry Smoothie. What IS barium, really? Any why is it percolating in my stomach?

Oh, and bot flies. Horrifying, really. 'Monsters Inside Me' scarred me for life.

16. I am 100% with you on this one.
    --- merged: May 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM ---
    Apparently the UN recently released a paper looking into the possibility of insects as a cheap, alternative food source (lots of protein!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  17. Tophat665

Anyway, like I was sayin', grub is the shrimp of the dirt. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, grub-kabobs, grub creole, grub gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple grub, lemon grub, coconut grub, pepper grub, grub soup, grub stew, grub salad, grub and potatoes, grub burger, grub sandwich. That- that's about it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Some folks have a low "yuk threshold" that gets higher as they get hungrier.

19. And strangely enough, 'grub' is slang for food.

Most people that eat insects do so because they were raised in a culture where they were raised doing so. For example, a number of the immigrants I work with. People like me - well, we have psychological blocks in place. It's 'all in my head'.
    --- merged: May 31, 2013 at 4:11 PM ---
    Barium is what you do to a chemist if you are unsuccessful in your attempts to helium or curium :)

20. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Fun fact: apparently barium is fine as long as it's contained with in your digestive tract, but it's super bad for you (like, kill you bad for you) if it finds it's way into your bloodstream. When I was a teenager a lab tech tried to kill me by giving me barium dye for a CT while my small intestine was perforated. A senior tech caught him and gave me a different dye.

Have fun with your tests!

I'm fine with any kind of arthropod. Spiders, ants, flies, whatever. I actually like spiders because they catch and eat all of the stuff I don't like. Even stuff like earthworms are just fine by me. I'm very specific that it's maggots that creep me out. And I suppose anything sufficiently maggot-like that I wouldn't know the difference, what with me not being an entomologist. But mostly just maggots.

Magpie is a big fan of the television show Bones. It often features maggots. It's a point of contention.