1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics What did Romney and the GOP do wrong?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

You confuse me here with the word "charitable". Liberals often talk about livable wages, the disparity between the rich and everyone else, fairness, etc. I talk in terms of market supply and demand - meaning let the market determine fair wages. either way what does "charity" have to do with it? Even in the context of fairness where does charity come into the equation?

...but there is in fact a "limited number of people" - even if government is providing (providing whatever) government can only impact a limited number of people. That number can only be expanded by government when other people are taxed more, contribute more. Again we are not talking about marginal wealthy people, we are talking (not just Oprah) super wealthy people - people who have amassed more wealth than they could spend in thousands of lavish lifestyles.

The most extreme most clearly illustrates the point. but in the US for example many studies have shown that conservatives give more of their disposable incomes than liberals to help others. The liberal call for higher taxes on others to me seems to have an empty ring to it.

There are many aspects to liberal ideology that I do not understand - when I don't understand I ask about it - just as I am asking about this.

there are the things liberals say and there are the things they do - often I can not reconcile the two. For example the calls to close Gitmo - I heard President Obama simple is not even going to try to close it any longer, why all the talk about its closure and when in power it does not get closed by liberals?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Your example included aspects that are more in line with charity. Leaving charity out of the equation is probably a good idea. Generosity and charity aren't exclusive to liberals, which is what I was getting at.

There are millions more people affected on the level of government than there are by one ostensibly liberal business owner. The fact remains: Your focus is myopic.

The most extreme most clearly illustrates what point?

Bill Gates has a healthcare and poverty foundation worth over $36 billion. He, like, Buffett has called for more taxes for the wealthy. He's a liberal.

George Lucas recently sold off his $4 billion dollar empire and will use the monty to fund an education charity. He's a liberal.

These are extreme examples. Do they clearly illustrate that liberals, despite giving away their money, support the idea of progressive taxation and other liberal concepts nonetheless?

For the record, I disagree. The extreme examples are hardly illustrative of anything representative of average folk. For all we know, more conservatives are charitable because more of them believe in God and so are making more donations to megachurches or are paying more in tithes. It's true, for example, that more believers supported Romney than Obama. More wealthy people voted for Romney as well. Maybe wealthy people are in a better position to be charitable.

Your analysis is oversimplistic.

Anyway, we aren't even talking about charity anymore, are we?

Obama isn't the best as far as liberal politicians go. There are many liberals upset with his failure to change much of the Bush era policies. This isn't a failure of liberalism, it's a failure of so-called liberals such as Obama.

Most liberals support the idea of civil rights. I think most conservatives do to. Gitmo is an American failure of human and civil rights, not a failure of any particular ideology. I think many liberals are angry with Obama on this topic. It's interesting you should bring it up.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. Aceventura

You introduced charity in the context of Oprah giving money for schools, I just followed along with that line. Outside of that line there is still a point under consideration.

When comparing the acts of individuals in the market compared to government activity - individual acts trumps government acts many times over. If the collection of business owners reduced their profit margins and paid employees more the impact is far greater than any government policy.

I give. We are going in circles. I truly don't know how to layout the basic premise in a manner that is clear to you.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've heard of "buyer's remorse",
    but not "backers' remorse"...

Perhaps they should liquidate the assets...and profit more from it.
    Worth more dead than alive?

5. Baraka_Guru

It was a poor example to begin with, and then you followed an irrelevant line from it.

But this is apples and oranges.

Also, the government participates in the market as "individuals" as well.

I'm sure there are many fine books on liberalism.

6. Aceventura

B.S.

There are inherent conflicts with an individual doing what needs to be done to amass billions in net-worth and liberal ideology.

If you disagree or don't see it dosen't mean it is not clearly apparent. Thousands of examples can be used to illustrate the premise, if you get hung up on an example here and there while not looking at the broader point, that is your issue.

7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

What did Romney do wrong? This sums it up pretty well-

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I seriously doubt he has to pump his own gas. Probably getting his image out there as an average Joe for his 2016 run.

10. Baraka_Guru

No it's not, Ace. Bullshit is when you say, "I don't get the liberal mindset. Just look at Oprah Winfrey."

It would be like saying, "I don't get why so many American business owners are complaining about Obama and the economy. Just look at Apple. They're hiring droves of people and their profits keep growing and growing! American business owners should just shut up and hire people already! Apple under Obama has been a boon!"

But why are we even talking about these people? Was it liberals you were wondering about or wealthy people? You were wondering about liberals and then went on about how Oprah wasn't a very good liberal. What's your point? You've lost me by changing the topic.

I have an issue in that I don't get your broader point. Is there one?

11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You want to know what they're doing wrong???

It's easy.
    They keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
    They are blaming everyone, but themselves

And last, they are saying they want a better economy, but aren't willing to do what it takes. (Risk, R&D, productive hiring, making/doing something...)
    You cannot gain & grow in substansive measure, just by stock improvement, doing the same thing always, running your people into the ground
    and saving on taxes and avoiding paperwork.

You do, you serve, people buy, profit...
    But you're taking out the doing
    You're avoiding the serving
    You're only keeping the same old customers who can't go anywhere else or are neglectful
    And you're avoiding all the regulation...which will actually cost you more in the long run. (lawsuits and prosecution)

I'm conservative in this way.
    You make something good, you do it better than others, people buy it from you, you profit.
    Repeat.

Everything else is like having a sports team trying to play all the angles, rather than just playing better than the other team on the field.
    Sounds like a con to me.

The solution for the GOP is simple.
    • Represent everyone
    • Put up quality and personable candidates
    • Serve the people
    The problem is, they are NOT doing just that.

**Stop trying to use "Brawndo" instead of water to grow your plants...

12. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Elections are not won or lost by the votes of people who care deeply about politics. You've already decided who you'll vote for mostly and youre such a small minority in any modern state.

_

Its the people who dont really get into the issues, who dont hold strong affiliations, who think that most politicians are probably crooks who decides who governs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aceventura

It is intellectually dishonest in my opinion to do what you are doing here - taking a sentence totally out of context to illustrate the absurdity of an argument. We know that you either don't see the premise I presented or you are ignoring it. As it follows, what I don't get is the pretense so often displayed by liberals, and you display it here - you will forever defend the notion there are no inherent conflicts in liberal ideology and their actions. On the other hand I will readily admit to countless conflict I have with conservative ideology - especially in our current context with my libertarian leanings.
    --- merged: Nov 27, 2012 3:06 AM ---
    I doubt Romney will run in 2016. In some regards it is a travesty that a man with his accomplishments are being disparaged by both people on the right and on the left. Romney does strike me as a person who would gladly pump his own gas.

What I find more striking is when the President of the United States will disrupt the lives of possibly thousands to go to a hamburger restaurant to get a hamburger. As President you can have any kind of burger you want, handcrafted any time any way you want without making a show of it and costing $$$$$$ in security, traffic backup, lost production, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  14. redux

redux Very Tilted

In the same manner of you taking a sentence of Sec. Chu out of context in another discussion...where he was talking about oil as a global commodity?
    --- merged: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM ---
    Bush used Air Force One 77 times to go to Crawford, TX for the weekend....costing $millions and disrupting the town on every visit.

15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Romney won't run again. People on both side now see him as a negative. The left sees him as a wealthy asshole who could give a shit about anyone who isn't also wealthy. And the right just sees him as a two time loser.

As for where Obama eats his lunch- if he did have a hand crafted gourmet burger folks like you would complain about him being an elitist snob. He goes out in public and it's "Oh, the poor public! He creates crowds and problems." Yeah lots of unhappy folks in that photo. The burger place probably gets double the daily take for a couple months then they got before he stopped there. If he didn't engage in public appearances it would be "he won't even show his face in public, too good for the common people."

It's ok Ace, you're not doing anything folks on the left wouldn't be doing if Romney or Bush were in the White House.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  16. Baraka_Guru

Or maybe I'm just confused. You have made a poor argument, and now you're blaming me for it? Wonderful.

I clearly don't see it. I don't ignore things; I'd rather take them on fully.

First of all, I'm not a liberal, so much of what I say about liberalism is based on my understanding of it, mostly from a Canadian perspective.

Second, you had a problem with liberals being hypocritical or otherwise acting counter to what you perceive as their beliefs.

There were two problems with what you said: 1) You suggested that liberals should act in a contrived manner, possibly counter to reason, as a way to put their money where their mouths are, and 2) You used a multibillionaire (yes, with a b) as an example of a liberal acting hypocritical or otherwise counter to liberalism.

That conservatives aren't required to act in a contrived manner to be good conservatives is inconsistent with what you said. Take the business example I used as a counterargument. Why aren't conservative business owners acting more like Apple? (It's because it would be contrived.)

A woman with a net worth 35,000 times greater than the average American household (I'm not exaggerating) is your example of how liberals act inconsistently with their ideology. (Did I get the right?) Tell me this: How does Oprah Winfrey, a woman more a brand than a human being, represent the average liberal in terms of how liberals go about living their lives and acting in accordance with their beliefs?

Or maybe I just don't get what you're saying. Is it that the multibillionaire vote that Obama swept to victory with was achieved on false pretenses?

If you want me to understand you, and if you want me to take you seriously, you need to start coming up with cogent arguments.

Maybe start again. What is your problem with liberals?

17. Aceventura

On two occasions I explained what i meant and there is legitimacy to it. It is a difficult issue, again, the pretense here is disturbing. On one-hand we do in fact have the dependance on fossil fuel questions and how best to have all social costs reflected - on the other-hand we do in fact have the issue of affordability and the disproportional impact of high fuel prices on the poor and middle class. In liberal la-la land we can not even have an honest discussion, all we get is pretense, one to do something about fossil fuels and two to do something about keeping fuel prices affordable.

I think this should have been done at his own expense, or it be written in law where he gets one trip every two years. How is it handled for other civil servants required to be away from home? We should be consistent.
    --- merged: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM ---

What I am blaming you for is arguing issues not related to the premise. I am not even sure if you understand it based on your responses. Even here are you saying the premise is poor or my examples in support of my view point on the premise?

What I am interested in understanding is how liberals reconcile what on the surface may appear to be hypocritical - there may in fact be no hypocrisy, I don't know. For example I see no hypocrisy in many of my views when on the surface it appears it exists. I work through the conflicts and come to a determination - and I acknowledge imperfection and double standards.

I am clear when I say my financial well being comes first, before political ideology. I was intrigued by the substantial market activity after President Obama was first elected and then re-elected. I sort of understand conservatives acting in a certain manner reflecting pessimism but I would think that would be countered with liberal optimism. Even for me trying to understand this psychology is financially self-serving for me. I fully expected a big upside or a big down side move in the major stock indexes - I just want to understand it better. Just as I don't understand Union activity - why not compete with Wal-mart do it better and do it right rather than try to manage their business from the outside - as an example.

Because the Apple culture is not easily duplicated. If they could duplicate it...not that they are not trying.

No.
    --- merged: Nov 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM ---
    I think of people as being elitist snobs when they publicly rub their wealth/power in the noses of regular people. For example - I live in the Charlotte area, the Democrat convention was down-town Charlotte (actually called up-town in Charlotte) but President Obama resided in a exclusive hotel in South Charlotte, about 25 minutes from down-town Charlotte. so for several days traffic for thousands was disrupted unnecessarily. What a waste, and people around here were not happy about it.

I don't want to know about President's and where they eat! Just give me a President who does his job.

18. Baraka_Guru

What is your premise? Could you please restate it in a single sentence?

Does this include the double standard you have regarding liberals vs. conservatives?

Now you're just talking about markets. Do you think everyday American lives are dictated by the markets? Are you saying that conservatives are pessimists and liberals are optimists? I don't think it's that simple. I'm not sure if you're talking about ideology here or something else entirely.

I think your view (or at least what I know of it) is idealistic.

So they can't be contrived in their dealings. Why the double standard?

Oprah is irrelevant.

19. Aceventura

See post #86.

No. I don't consider it a double standard when a person is honest about the standard in question. For example, I do not respect fiscal conservatives who went to Washington and contributed to excessive government spending - it is dishonest. However, when a free market capitalist motivated by making money exploits opportunities in the market - they are being honest about what they do. When a person preaches about "fairness" and other il defined non-sense and then expoits opportunities in the market - they are being dishonest - however, if they can reconcile it, I am listening.

Yes.

I am sorry your memory of interactions is not in sync with mine. Much has been written about President Obama and his role in creating an environment of uncertainty for business and how bussiness has responded to his rhetoric. A win by Romney would have been seen as a positive for business. Simply given Obama care - now many businesses are resolved with the fact that now they really have to plan for it - i.e. you won't see many businesses with 50 full time employees when they can get by with 49. Part-time employment is going to spike, negatively affecting many. That margin of one employee could cost an employer $100,000+.

How about Micheal Moore.

[​IMG]

I think he can afford a better hat and I bet he could have paid his employees more or hired more people from his home town the decaying city of Flint. Is he driven by fairness, or personal greed?

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

Donald Trump....America's richest birther with racist subtext.

Need I say more?