1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What do/did you do to put food on the table?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Jan 6, 2012.

1. What does that stuff taste like?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I want that job.:D

3. wyopen

wyopen Getting Tilted

Accountant

4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I program a television channel.

5. LoganSnake

LoganSnake Vertical

I combine pixels into nice looking things. Graphic designer.

6. NetvorFena

NetvorFena Vertical

Sometimes nothing. Other times I grow a garden and we can a lot of it. 59 quarts of tomatoes or red sauce and 67 quarts worth (some in pint jars) of pickles - 3 varieties for starters.

My hubby is retired and we can live off that pretty comfortably. My job is to teach. Currently I teach anything - substituting for special education teachers in our 2 county district the most but I have ended up doing head start as well as high school Spanish, band, Algebra, English Lit, and even sex ed. I prefer ANYTHING but middle school but sometimes will do that too. I have my M Ed in Special Education and am looking for a good job at the moment in that. I teach because it's fulfilling, not for the money. Shoot, sub teachers in our area are lucky to get $10/hr, I could easily get three times that doing something menial at one of the federal prisons in the area.

7. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I spread my legs.

Just kidding. I do this (^), too, for a hospital.

... Posted via Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I work as a mental health worker at a low-barrier detox facility.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

No, that was your previous job. You tried to talk me into being a corporate whore once... remember that train ride?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I am Merchant Services Manager.

A service the merchants...

11. ralphie250

Edit to my first post.

As of tomorrow at 8am I will be working for the county doing fleet maintenance and doing trans work in the evening at the same dealer.

12. LinaT14

LinaT14 Vertical

Cashier in grocery retail. Now part-time florist.

13. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I sure do. Holy hell, that was a long time ago.

14. SCBronco

SCBronco Getting Tilted

contract writer/administrator

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

A reformed PIG (public interest group) lobbyist now happily working on the less frustrating program side of another PIG developing and implementing programs with the private sector to benefit the public.

16. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Programming (mostly front end html/css stuff) for a software company. I dabble in the java code, but probably cause more problems than I fix :)

17. ralphie250

quwstion to all the IT people, i have a friend that does IT work but has no college classes. and he is wanting to get out of his current job and go somewhere else and hopefully do IT work. is it possible for him to get a job or does he need some college classes?

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I ain't IT, but I keep hearing people talk about certs like they were currency.

19. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

First off, rule number one: IT is a big field, and the best steps to take are going to depend on exactly what it is he wants to do. Does he want to be a developer, or a sys admin, or get into networking? Does he want to do security, or work with databases? End user/desktop support? The optimal path for each of these disciplines is different, and each one contains further specializations that will further determine where he needs to go.

All that said, there's little to no work in IT where college is essential to success. There are specific circumstances where it can help, and few to none where it will hurt, but it's not strictly needed to be successful in this field. Certifications can be a useful alternative, but it depends on which certs he's pursuing; A+ (and to a lesser extent the entire CompTIA lineup) is considered to be an industry joke. Cisco is great networking fundamentals. CISSP is the gold standard for security but requires years in the field and an already certified sponsor before they'll even let you sit for it. GIAC is a better certification path to pursue for entry level if he wants to consider security as a career.

So to answer your question in the most direct way possible: no, he does not need college, though it certainly doesn't hurt. More information is necessary to offer specific advice on what the best 'next move' is going to be; a good general piece of advice is to pursue CCNA certification, since networking is a key aspect of the job at all levels.

• Like Like x 1
  20. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I have no college completed University education, but I have almost 25 years experience. If I was starting out now, I suspect I'd be trying harder in Uni than I did.