1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What does YOUR gut tell you?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by grumpyolddude, Sep 22, 2011.

1. From the "Leaving no stone unturned" department of "HUH?"
    http://news.yahoo.com/belief-god-boils-down-gut-feeling-104403461.html
    I got the math question right, so I'm less likely to believe in God. Except that, I DO believe, I just don't buy the canned faith pushed by those profiting from propheting. Maybe that's what is really going on here. The more intuitive one tends to be, the more likely he/she will buy what the hucksters are selling.

Where do you fit into this study? Buy the full bushel, reject it all or somewhere in between?

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Fuck the God question, how do you get the math answer? I got ten cents. :(

/cannot stand math

• Like Like x 1
  3. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

$1.05 + $0.05 = $1.10
    $1.05 - $0.05 = $1.00

• Like Like x 1
  4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i feel like an idiot, but can someone explain to me why $.10 and $.05 aren't both correct?

nm lol

5. Fremen

Thank you, I really appreciate you trying to help me, Red. But I'm just not seeing it.
    Why does the ball cost five cents? Why couldn't it be ten cents?

6. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

If the ball costs $0.10, and the bat costs $1.00 more than the ball, the bat costs $1.10, and the total becomes $1.20.
    --- merged: Sep 22, 2011 7:19 PM ---
    Oh, I've ignored the real purpose of the OP. I was skimming when I read it, and just jumped to the incorrect answer without actually thinking about it. And I don't believe in God. I tell people that I believe in science, and I haven't seen evidence to support my believing in God.

7. Fremen

Ok, I get it now. Thank you, Red. :)

/sorry about the threadjack

8. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

So, what does that say about your belief in God? :D

9. Fremen

:)

I want to believe we're not all accidents of nature, that we're created by a divine being looking out for us, but the longer I live, the more faith I put in science and less in "God".

/has a sad

• Like Like x 2
  10. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

God does not believe in math!

11. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I got the question wrong by stupidly opting for the easy answer but immediately understood my error.
    I don't believe or disbelieve in a creator entity and I sort of like it that way. I like pondering the mystery while lying on my back on a summer night looking up the stars. I wouldn't want to give that up.

I accept the fact that there is that and more I will never get the answer to.
    Science can't disprove the existence of a creative force - all they can do is claim they can't find proof of it.
    Religion can't prove the existence of God - all they can is claim that science can't disprove it.

As to the last part - I believe I reason my way to answers, at least the majority of the time.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

I fail to see how God is the result of intuition. It's is an incredibly complex and learned concept. I can understand why, perhaps, very basic superstitions could be correlated with utilizing intuition, but God?

I got $1.05 and $0.05, but that's likely only because I've been studying because I'm thinking about going back to school in the Spring.

13. Is the concept of "God" the ultimate superstition? "When you believe in things that you don't understand..."

I believe in science. I believe there is a discoverable answer to all of the questions in the physical universe... until you get the the "how did it all begin" one. No matter haw far we push the beginning back, eventually we have to address "how did it all start?" Ultimately, the source of that first nudge of existence has to be acknowledged.

14. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

God? Eh? What has he done for you lately? No god? Sure, I guess. As far as I can tell, the question has the same relevance in my life as the question of who is the best third baseman in the National League or whether Thor could beat Ironman in a fight.

Science is essentially the practice of generating and evaluating plausibility. Truth, if any is to be found, is merely a side effect of this process. I think that intuition is useful when fact-based rational processes fail to result in a clear plan of action. I've also found intuition to be occasionally useful in complete contradiction to the most rational course of action.

15. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

This I don't see as relevant. I understand the math trying to prove a point, but it's really not provable. 1.00 -.05 =.05 NOT a dollar. I can see the bat being $1 and the ball being .05 thus combined it's $1.05. BUT if the bat is $1 more then in actuality it would be $1.04. 1.02+.02 = 1.04. is the extra penny a tip? Plus I want to know where one can come across a bat and a ball for only 1.05.

So, I read and reread and still have no idea how this can prove or disprove your gut instinct as to whether there is a God or not. You either believe or you don't. I tend to be of the school, who cares. Really, what does it hurt if someone wants to believe or not? Atheists argue all the time the world would be better if people didn't believe. Why? Simply because you choose not to believe? Now, combining religion and politics is NOT believing in God, it is as stated above profiting by propheting. It's a way to control people and get what you want out of them by scaring them or giving them a reason to not fear death. Basically, it boils down to power, "IF you live by the church's rules, you'll go to heaven or wherever (depending on the religion), IF you do not live by what the church tells you, you shall die a horrible death and go to Hell or wherever." It's all aboiut fear and reward in an afterlife that no one truly can prove or disprove exists.

SO, what does it hurt to believe but just follow what you believe to be right and wrong and screw the church. Jesus, was a part of no church, nor was Mohammed, nor was Buddha or Confucius. It was the followers of them that created the churches to worship their teachings and in the evolution turn the teachings into what the leaders saw as making money and creating for themselves the most amount of money and riches. If Christianity was truly about Christ's teachings there'd be no need or money for the Vatican or some of the more famous architectural wonders that were built as churches to serve God. There'd be no grand Mosques or Buddhist temples. Each of those religions would have plain buildings and/or services outside like their founders had.

Just my .02 without the extra 1.03

• Like Like x 1
  16. I like everything about that but the math.

17. Stick

Stick Vertical

My gut tells me - believe in God.

• Like Like x 1
  18. honeywest New Member

Whatever. I only like the math.
    But then I believe in Science, and rabblerousing sometimes,
    especially on NYE when the Makers is out (when its rabblesousing).

Never mind. Its an old OP.

19. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I got the math but only because I've seen the problem recently in a different concept.

As for an opinion on god, I'm still mystified on why both sides take it so seriously. No one will ever be proven right or wrong. Personally, I don't have much interest in the outcome.

20. Concerning the math... I don't get how anyone can graduate from school without being able to calculate something this simple. Yeah, I know that some brains don't decipher even slightly abstract concepts effectively. But, if you can figure a household budget, or even a weekly trip to the grocery store, that problem should be a piece of cake.

I think that the exercise demonstrates that a segment of the population, when faced with a complex situation, will grasp at an explanation based on faith. There are mysteries in this universe. How many layers of the onion of complexity will you peel away before declaring "God made it that way!" is the question.