1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What food is a must for someone visiting the U S of A?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by ZombieSquirrel, Jul 10, 2015.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Or.... you could go to a fair and do the deep fried versions.
    There is nothing more American than that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Tried those once upon a time. Not surprisingly thought they were repulsive...BUT.....cocoanut and marshmallow are two foods I thoroughly dislike so no shock there. Rice Krispie Treats are the only exception I can think of for marshmallows, those are delicious properly made.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

What about that great American campfire food i hear so much about but have no ides what it actually is... S'mores?

4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Another +1

You don't even need a campfire. I make s'mores for Mrs. Levite on a regular basis, in our kitchen, using a butane blowtorch.

5. AlwaysCurious

AlwaysCurious Vertical

I'm British, what's a biscuit for an American?
    I think biscuit to British people is what Americans call cookies. (a British cookie is a plain biscuit, sweet, and cam have chocolate chips, or treats in like toffee chunks, smarties, etc)

6. AlwaysCurious

AlwaysCurious Vertical

If i went to America, i would definitely do pulled prok and BBQmeats, I'd try lots of the cool breakfast cereals you have, the types of sweets/candies you have.

Ans I've heard about restaurants like oliva garden, and things which are American, so id like to go there.

Also, American krispy Kreme. We have it here in Britain, ofc, but i feel like it will be better in America.

7. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Nobody wants to go to Olive Garden. Trust me. Even chain Italian places like Maggiano's are better than Olive Garden, and they suck. If you have to have a typical American chain restaurant experience, have breakfast at Denny's. Preferably, do so at around three in the morning after a long night of drinking and/or smoking weed: that's Denny's at its finest.

And as for donuts, Krispy Kreme is highly overrated, IMO. What you should try are Dunkin' Donuts. They are fearsomely good.

Also, if you're going to try candies and sweets, you can find some quintessential American treats of a nominally pastry nature that are worth a try, like Twinkies, and some candies like Mike and Ikes or Good and Plenty or Skittles that are worth a try. But the truth is, mass market American chocolate can't hold a candle to mass market British chocolate. Even Cadbury's isn't as good here as it is there. Mass market American chocolate is shit compared to British or European mass market chocolate. You can find great chocolate here, but you have to go to independent chocolatiers to get it.

Yeah, American biscuits are something else altogether. I'm not sure there's a true analogue in British food. They are a bit like a cross between a muffin, a bread roll, and a savory scone. A puff of tender baked dough-- some are breadier, some are flakier-- made from a very simple flour-water-shortening/butter base (some have more or less baking powder or baking soda, some have none at all, some add more or less salt, some add sugar, etc.), generally eaten warm.

They are eaten all over the US now, but they are really a Southern food, and the best ones are found in the South. Outside the South, they are chiefly found at breakfast, but in the South they may show up at any meal. The beaux ideal serving of them is biscuits and gravy, which feature the biscuits halved, and smothered in a rich cream gravy with plenty of pork sausage crumbled into it. But they are also often eaten with butter, or jam, or cheese, or made into breakfast sandwiches with sausage, fried egg, and cheese, and so forth.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. All wonderful choices and I think we can cover them.

I like how there really isn't one cuisine for "Americans" as we claim to be a melting pot. We're actually a salad. We don't all melt that well together. I kind of want to take her to a "Japanese" restaurant so she can see what Americans think of Japanese food. Mostly I want any excuse to go to the new sushi restaurant where the food comes to you via conveyor belt. That shit just cracks me up.

The County Fair will be going on while she's here, so we are planning on taking her there. Her kids that she is chaperoning will be staying with 4-H so naturally going to the fair is a gimme.

We're definitely going to take her to get some "pub food" when we visit a brewery in town. Also, I think I'll take her to a winery so she can at least see one of our major industries in Oregon. If she's with a bunch of agricultural kids, this may be of interest to her. Maybe not. I really have no clue.

BabyDaddy and I have agreed to host a cookout where we invite our friends and neighbors to meet her. We'll ask our grill-loving friend to help us concoct the perfect "American" cookout. We'll probably have the usual of hamburgers and hot dogs, but we'll probably have some more interesting things like fancy meat and grilled vegetables. I'm hoping to fatten up this girl before she goes back to Japan.

Along with a backyard BBQ, we'll take her to one of my favorite joints near us. The place has tons of meat, but the sides, cornbread and sweet tea are the reasons I love the joint. Poor thing is going to have the meat sweats something awful.

GREAT idea. Mmmmm smores. @levite is correct. You don't need a campfire, but it's so much more fun to toast your own over a fire.

9. Well, she likes Pizza.

DaddySquirrel also made her a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich for her lunch today. I'll ask her what she thinks about that when I get home.

• Like Like x 3
  10. She likes Pesto and hamburgers. We haven't found anything she won't eat except the hardboiled egg. It's not so much that it's weird to her, she just has childhood trauma preventing her from enjoying it.

This weekend there will be biscuits and gravy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SPECTRE

SPECTRE Vertical

Ahhh... this thread will be much of help to me when i come over the big apple... not much into high calorie burgers so i guess i have to look deeper into this thread for some suggestions...

12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

BTW, the Pizza has to be true NY Style (or at least southern New England)
    Make sure they put on The Mutz :cool:

The Works, extra cheese, well done.

====

And good Jewish Deli... (like Attman's....mmm :) )
    either a nice Roast Beef with pink center
    Pastrami on Rye
    a Reuben
    BIG sandwiches that truly melt in your mouth

====

A steak meal from the Mid West (OK,TX,KS, etc...)
    Ribs from the Tennessee Smoky Mountains (best I've tasted...it's been 20 yrs and I still remember them...nothing like them since)
    Americanized Mexican food from the Southwest...like Burrito from one of the 24hr Mexcian shops in San Diego & LA (a "....erto's" joint :p )

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I agree about Krispy Kreme but I've had great donuts (and similar pastries) at local small town mom and pop bakeries. And a local Nebraska grocery chain called Russ's has wonderful donuts, and Czech and Polish pastries in their in-store deli. There's also a regional chain place called Lamar's Donuts that is hard to beat, but they're only in Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska.
    I've had some good biscuits in chain places like Red Lobster, Cheddars, and Ruby Tuesdays. Also at Mickie Dee's in the morning when they're busy. Mickie's has a great flavored sausage to go with their biscuits.
    In the South I've had biscuits cooked on top of a chicken or ham stew which they call dumplings, similar to Czech dumplings, way different from German/Dutch dumplings or gnocchi. It's really just a biscuit dough that is steamed rather than baked.

There's a million folks in Chicago would, I'm sure, disagree.;) Pizza by its nature lends itself to many variations. Chicago deep dish is wonderful, but I've never has a good one outside of Chicago. Old Chicago chain does not live up to its name.
    I like a thin crispy crust (since I'm kind of a carbophobe) pizza, and overloading just ruins those. I'll take a thin crust with sausage or pepperoni, cheese, and a few anchovies. Pizza doesn't have to be a fat bomb. If the crust is too thick or breadlike, I just scrape off the toppings and leave the crust behind.

====

I'll take pastrami, swiss, mustard, mayo, dill pickles. On rye bread, but I've had good ones on white rolls. I've never had Attman's, but it sure looks good. Iused to go to a great deli in downtown Indianapolis called Shapiro's.:) I can't imagine anything better.

====

I've had some superb steaks at small town American Legion Clubs.
    Ribs, (like pizza, or chili) can have major regional differences. Just depends on what you like.