1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics What is happening????

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by pan6467, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The Dems will make a lot of noise. Many things discovered will not be revealed. Selective enforcement. You have to pick your battles.

The Repubs expected not to run again won't run again. There will be a few surprise dropouts and retirements. Some sacrificial lambs will be offered up.

Glass houses. Skeletons in closets. Backroom deals. CHITS. Neither party is going to get too aggressive.

Biden has a long history, over three decades, in politics. He knows how the game is played.

Once the uproar (the reaction so far has been more of a whimper) dies down it will be business as usual for the Dems and Repubs.

If the two sides can actually work together--which would require some Repubs actually having a conscience, and the courage to follow it--we *might* see some legislation to regulate presidential behavior. If if if we're extremely lucky the impeachment procedure would be amended to include former presidents, and conviction would require a simple majority.

Will the politicians, from both parties, have the courage to make such radical changes?

My thought is no, not anything truly meaningful.

I doubt that I will be proven wrong.
    But it would be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. rogue49

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I think I heard someone say that the dereliction of duty charge would be more of a military tribunal thing, and it might not be a good look to have a military court judging former Presidents.

Now, I do wonder about the Georgia 11780 vote phone call, and if they decided to try him in Georgia instead of having a second count of impeachment to go along with this. The Republicans always talk about fantasy voter fraud committed by the Democrats, yet the Republicans are the ones who get caught doing it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

It pisses me off.
    Muller report...wrong lane, dead end, no result is a big green flag to a bigger shit show, more offences..
    Insurgent impeachment...wrong lane again ???
    WTF people ? This is another green flag to go harder on racist malitias, conspiracy loonys and who knows what kind of crazy exploitation of the limp Dems inability to uphold justice. Really hard to believe it's not deliberate.
    Also hard to believe the process needs to go though the senate and not the judicial branch.
    Judicial is sworn to non partisan judgement. Senate R's obviously a clan in solidarity regardless of what kind of crime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rogue49

There’s going to be a variety of things they throw at him.
    But Biden is going to get some things through first.
    The virus and crisis won’t wait nor could care less about people.
    And he needs a bit of GOP cooperation for the amount involved.

He’ll then let all the entities under him do their thing.
    Plus he’s going to let others take bites out of him.
    The Fed will be a great resource of information for those going after T.
    Then T will lose momentum and will be a wounded animal by the time they get to him.
    (and the easily distracted public won’t pay attention)

The long term he and the Dems need to do is lock everything down, get some laws on the books.

Then the 2022 election comes along
    They can’t forget about that
    Barbarians are still at the gate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It is a mess. That was way too long to read, but I skimmed most of it. If this is a bioweapon, it was a poor one. It isn't killing nearly the number of people it needs to in order to change things. And it is killing people all over the world and not just in a few countries. Plus we didn't instantly have a vaccine or antidote either, which is kind of important. But it goes to show that social media and the regular media with propaganda thrown in is a big problem.

Now, a lab accident theory is still a possibility, but even if it could be proven, it has nothing to do with how unprepared the US was for a biological pathogen. It has nothing to do with the response and tracking down the people who returned from China since December 2019 and quarantining whoever they came into contact with. That is what should have been done last February.

I have to wonder if the mortality rate was higher, let's say 50%. How many people would take it seriously compared to how many just want to do whatever they want to do?

• Like Like x 1
  10. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

I could only get through about 1/3rd then I scrolled down to see how much more there was..too much.
    Hard to say how deadly it needs to be for ppl.to get real about it. It seems we have a lot.of very stubborn ppl in their beliefs. More than I would have thought.
    I've learned one of my cousins is all about illuminati now. It started selling herbal life years ago...then crystals, magnet therapy, essential oils must have happened too.
    SMH.

11. Chris Noyb

It is deliberate.

It's politics. Politicians have a special fraternity, much like LEOs, doctors, lawyers, and the military (and others). Don't be too aggressive and too thorough because the next closet to be searched might be yours.

Moving impeachment to the judicial branch sounds like an excellent idea. But keep in mind US AG William Barr was a Trump loyalist who only turned (limited turn) when he had little choice/few options. And the SCOTUS (our current one has a conservative majority thanks to...drum roll...the US Senate while under Republican control) has failed us several times during crises in the past.

I think it all came down to this:

1. Biden inherited a fucking mess, he needs cooperation from the Repubs.

2a. The Repubs let it be known they would hinder and delay any Biden plans as long as the Trump Impeachment II was taking place.

2b. The Repubs let it be known Trump would walk no matter what and how much irrefutable evidence would be presented.

3. Dems decided to rush through the impeachment, knowing quick and superficial would net the same result, acquittal, as deliberate and thorough.

4. Politicians have a fraternal agreement not to go after each other very seriously, only put on a show for voters.

5. It was political bullshit from chickenshit politicians the same as usual, just under more extreme and unusual circumstances.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  12. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Parler says it’s back without “Big Tech” after being kicked off Amazon

Ok, Free Speech Parler is open for biz...
    How free is free ?
    What if it was flodded by lgbtq threads, lgbtq teachers ? Lgbtq adoptive parents ? Or what about BLM topics ? Or topics about Asians not being the responsible -deliberatly- for the 'rona ?
    What about topics of job security through growing your skills and being the most useful and not bashing or blaming ? I mean really, it's a free market job world man...be the best in the shop don't hid behind your union rules and racism. Shure as hell works for me when I come in at 10am and everyone else starts at 8. and I still get offered more money when I say... I've been offered another job. Every time.
    Compitance ! the best job security.

Best answer to Parler is roll in and argue their face off.
    (Not that I want to :eek:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

I like that idea, generally speaking. Coordinating some counter arguments would be great, but Parler already has a massive right wing extremists following, an advantage that would be extremely difficult to even scratch.

And giving Parler big numbers gives them/it strength, more revenue.

Maybe some folks with the tech knowledge and the resources can find a way to "flood" Parler, overwhelm it, break it. Set up computer systems to constantly bombard it from every angle possible. Make it impossible for Parler to keep up with the attacks.

14. rogue49

There’s other left wing resources...they’re populated and popular

However the difference is, they’re not raging
    They’re not acting like barbarians at the gate.

And so they don’t get the attention that the alt-right does...especially in the media.

I’m not saying they couldn’t or haven’t

But right now the volume is from the right.

And it doesn’t matter, from left, right or center
    Conspiracy and lunacy is bad
    Violence against others is bad
    Taking over a government is bad.

The problem is, the loony at the top at the time, fed that the election was bad, that things weren’t fair.
    They gaslighted them.
    And some media and politicians are re-enforcing this...even now.

The only thing they can do is slowly take down sites that are out of control. That’s up to the owners.
    And the authorities slowly wrap up those that have broken the law. (Often, they have)

Then slowly, do the right thing.
    Get more on the sane side.

You don’t have to agree.
    But you do have to be civil and balanced.

Unbalanced can come from ANY swath of the political or philosophical range.

We need to be civil and balanced again
    ALL sectors, all sources

15. Chris Noyb

I disagree.

We need to
    scare the living shit
    out of the Trump protectors.

Make them actually fear, seriously fear, physical harm.
    Let them know in a very real way
    their actions will have consequences.
    Borrow from the radical right,
    just do it better.

Please note that at no point did I
    mention any actual physical action.

If Conman can do it,
    so can I.

16. rogue49

Why America doesn't have the third party it wants

Ain’t that the truth?
    It’s the reason I’ve been a GDI since the 90’s
    (I was Republican first for a short time)

This is an American problem
    BUT, is it any better any place else???

The UK has their own back and forth
    So does France, Germany, etc

So a parliamentary system isn’t the answer

There always seems to be one party that a bunch of jerks...authoritarian...
    And one that’s wishy-washy
    And then others trailing along

All corrupt in one form or another

Why do we allow this crap?
    Why do many of us give the benefit of the doubt?

There seems to be 4 types of voters
    - ambitious/pushy
    - the ones that go along or do as told
    - ones that vote but don’t want to participate
    - the ones that don’t vote

Now the last doesn’t care or their opinion is moot
    The third is the majority...expecting reps to do their job...but they got life to live.
    The first are the ones that try to tell everyone else what to do
    The 2nd just cheers on their “team”

So we’ve got people who ignore
    Or people who push their agenda

The problem is...the ones that push forget about everyone else.
    And everyone else is saying “HEY!!!” Sooner or later
    ...even the ones that don’t vote.

So the true problem is “consideration”

No matter the party or system
    We have to elect those who consider others

But, that’s too much work and thinking
    So people just push and want to win.

Maybe if the pushy people would stop steamrolling
    The team players actually consider others
    The passive ones were more active
    And the non-voters actually VOTE (takes a few minutes)

Nah, we’ll just keep mucking it up
    Seems to be a universal condition :rolleyes:

17. redux

redux Very Tilted

The latest from MAGAworld:
    Sometimes you feel like a nut..."sometimes you cannot get no stupider"

View: https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1368612559998382084

Conspiracy theorist says Biden White House is on a movie set — and he caused 'fake' Texas snowstorm

Conspiracy theories have grown in the past several years as Americans sit glued to social media sites that bring far-right conservatives together around siloed false news sites. But one woman has taken her conspiracies about President Joe Biden to TikToc to tell the world that they're all the ones who are stupid.

She went on to say that people should "wake the f*ck up." (more)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

I rated it funny.

It isn't funny.

19. rogue49

What is happening???
    WAY too much insanity these days.

You'd think we'd be better by 2021 :oops:

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

Yep.

That's the problem. It is not funny but it is representative of millions of Trump supporters who believe these conspiracy theories and nothing anyone says can convince them otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1