1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics What is happening????

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by pan6467, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Actually many don't know, the initial concept for the ACA was developed by a conservative think tank, The Heritage Foundation.
    The Dems just adopted it and pushed it through.
    This pissed off the GOP who couldn't claim it as their own or god forbid give credit to "the other side".
    They were the ones to call it Obamacare first, to deride it.
    Obama and the Dems just turned the trap on them and fully embraced the name.

Like Dick Dastardly's stunts and traps always keep exploding and backfiring on him, the GOP are playing the same sneaky stupid scene.
    And I have a feeling they'll never learn, just like a cartoon villain.
    Stop That Pidgeon!!! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Our wonderful Texas governor Greg "I'm Not As Stupid As I Look And Sound" Abbott is trying to restart building the Border Wall.

He also signed seven, I think, firearms friendly bills into law. The really big one, commonly called Constitutional Carry (CC), pretty much lets anyone 21 and older carry a handgun openly or concealed without a license or any kind of training. I'm a firearms enthusiast and don't agree with CC, and every law enforcement agency in Texas is against CC. Playing to the gun nuts for campaign contributions and votes is playing with fire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I don't like the longevity measurement as what counts. I was thinking about this yesterday how everyone should have a 0-100 health score, and the government/healthcare industry should be trying to get the highest score. Not just extend life, but actually find cures and vaccines. Prevent accidents and treat mental health & addiction a lot better too.

Then figuring out how to get the medical staff paid more, implement more automation and 24/7 facilities, and spread out to more locations is the next part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Census released the 2020 detailed demographic census data today that will be used in redistricting for Congressional districts (as required by Constitution every ten years).

Here is a quick summary from the MSNBC "white board" guy...

More here (Axios article): Census reveals a more diverse, urbanized America

As noted in the video, all the population growth was in racial/ethnic minorities (primarily Hispanic and Asian) while White population declined by the largest percentage ever.

And from the above article, "Almost all of the country’s population growth occurred in large metro areas over the decade" as rural population declined.

More Republican states (TX +2, FL, NC, MT) picked up additional Congressional seats than Democrat states (CO, OR) and with Republicans controlling more state legislatures responsible for redistricting, they will have an advantage going into the 2022 congressional elections. Democrats may have an advantage with the larger metro area population growth over the decline in rural population.

What we can expect without doubt are lots of attempts at gerrymander by both parties as they redraw congressional districts.

And, lots of legal challenges from US DoJ, state political parties, advocacy groups, etc. over the next six months or more.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I can't remember how mixed race people were counted, but I have a feeling that some of that decline is due to the increase in that group. There is 4.8% unaccounted for in those numbers.

I am surprised that the black percentage isn't higher or growing.

Indians from India are considered Asian for this census. I think Middle Eastern immigrants were also considered being from Asia.

It will be interesting looking though the data, but I wish they would show the numbers differently somehow. Because this is going to freak out the white people around me who are 97% of the population still. And they vote as if the city is going to be over run by minorities in the next two decades...

• Like Like x 3
  6. rogue49

A posthumous message on bipartisanship: ‘There’s value in people you don’t agree with’

CNN's Jake Tapper Tears Up at Former GOP Congressman's Deathbed Plea for Bipartisanship (Video)

Watch the video in the bottom of the 2nd link...it is poignant and sincere. :(

And he's right...there's a toxicity that is pervasive, either direct and aggressive...or a passive tone that seeks to undermine "the opposition"

We need to work together...to do what's right for the country and its citizens.
    It's not about "sides" or tribes, power or influence. Not enjoying seeing the other person trip or fail.

We're supposed to be empowering each other.
    Making better bit by bit, tweaking it.
    Rising together. (NOT just your group, not just your ideas and values)

It's the only way to be productive.
    Even working with those you disagree with.

I'd rather build, then watch destruction.
    Watch all succeed, than failure of another.

We're ALL in this together.
    Growing, excelling, living. :cool:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  7. Chris Noyb

The leading Republican gubernatorial candidate in the California recall election was very strongly suggesting voting fraud before any results were in and any projections were made.

Gee, Wally, I wonder where he learned that trick?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Looks like this is going to be SOP for the GOP from now on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Chris Noyb

So the rally to show support for the
    06 Jan 21 assholes
    was a flop.

Part of me was hoping some extreme rightwing nut jobs would attempt something stupid, fail miserably,
    and reap what they sowed.
    But that would've created new problems, namely inspiring other extreme rightwing nutjobs to react.

10. rogue49

Nope
    From what what said, the paranoid conspiracy extremist rally was nixed because of paranoid conspiracy extremist rumors.
    They thought it would turn into a trap, a honey pot...to go only to be arrested there.
    C'est la guerre ;)

Well, they're partially right...they wouldn't likely get arrested there.
    BUT, they would be photographed, recorded and likely investigated or at least watched.

Uhh, hint...you don't do an insurrection AND fail...then expect the targets to NOT "raise an eyebrow"???
    Ya idiots, you just declared war on the Feds.
    AND the opposition group is now totally in control (The Dems...the prez, the congress)
    If not those sane conservatives and independents that were totally shocked that you even tried it!

So yes, you're ARE being paranoid...but they ARE out to get ya...now.
    You showed your cards and didn't have a winning hands. (bad cards yet) ....what did you think was going to happen??? :rolleyes:

So enjoy your new found infamy, you're on Federal Candid Camera (complements of, the NSA, DHS, DOJ, CIA, DOD, etc...the whole friggin' alphabet soup of the USA) :D
    Couldn't have happened to more "special" people. :mad:
    Hope you enjoy jail.
    Nope, no soup for you. No freedom there.

Next time, don't tie your hitch to a egomaniac madman who doesn't give a shit about you.
    (NO he he doesn't...he just wants your vote and influence and to do whatever he says, when he wants it)

Lesson learned???
    I doubt it...y'all just as crazy as he is. :confused::eek:

• Like Like x 2
  11. rogue49

House Democrats unveil legislation to curtail presidential power — The Hill

Yes! About damn time.
    I do hope that this is able to get through.

The GOP is still having a bout of lunacy.
    (Hey, it happens to everyone…still doesn’t mean we have to tolerate it)

Thankfully, the Dem sponsor here put “blame all sides” language in. To not rub the wrong way and to encourage votes for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I wonder how that will go over. I hope it does pass, but it needs to come with congressional reforms as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Our idiotic governor of Texas, Greg "Really, I'm Not Stupid" Abbott, responded to criticism that Texas' new restrictive (anti)abortion laws didn't make allowances for pregnancies resulting from rape. He says that won't be a problem because Texas is going to eliminate rape by aggressively prosecuting rapists.

The event where this profundity was revealed was so staged the minions started clapping while Abbott was struggling to finish the sentence.

At least two problems (at minimum):
    Pursuing rapists means the rapes have already occurred.
    Many women are raped by people they know, not randomly by a criminal.
    Honorable third: If rape was so easy to eliminate, it would've already been eliminated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. redravin

Don't really have much to add to this but seriously... Fuck Greg Abbott and every lawmaker who voted for that horrible law.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Not that I would agree with much of anything issuing from the mouth of Gov. Greg Abbott but if he (and Texas) follow through on the plan to aggressively prosecute rapists; that would be a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Chris Noyb

It won't happen. The announcement was a staged event to defend the new (anti)abortion laws.

But....should some positive action actually be taken, I'll post a comment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Noyb

When will this stupid election fraud bullshit end?

Texas is now performing what amounts to a recount of votes in the 2020 Presidential Election in four counties. Trump demanded it. Gov. Abbott says it had already started. Officials in Harris County are saying this' news to us, show us the official legal paperwork.

BTW Trump won Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rogue49

It’s the typical redundant MO of the GOP these days.
    Run a tactic into the ground even if it backfires on them, everytime.

Y’know the definition of insanity
    Trying the same thing again & again and expecting a different result. :rolleyes:

If it doesn’t make sense or logic, it’s because it truly doesn’t.
    Then again, crazy isn’t supposed to make sense.

The only reason they’re surviving is because of their base and they get just enough, of those pissed at the Dems or being suckered because they have no memory.

Just nuts
    But they play vicious

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rogue49

Pandora Papers reveal secret offshore financial system for global elites — The Washington Post

Between this and the Panama Papers
    We should realize that there’s substantial corruption by the elite elite.

Now, I’m a cynic…I don’t mind some corruption.
    It’s done…so be it.
    Then there’s excessive corruption…
    Irrational exuberance

Come on, we know now
    Close the fuckin loopholes
    Enforce the laws
    Make the hiders unhide and pay their fair share
    I’m not even talking “damages” or “penalties”
    Interest may be considered…because it WAS like they were “borrowing” the taxes they owed. :rolleyes:
    But still, at least get the principle tax.

Nope, that’s what makes it “fair”
    Yeah you’re Uber rich…so be it, now pay your shit.
    Just like the rest of us.
    Companies too…none of this writing off everything
    You pay the stockholders, you pay the government
    Simple
    You pay yourself, owners, you pay government
    Just like everyone else

After this “bye”, You hide it.
    Jail.
    Why not? Others get that…why not you?
    You don’t like it, don’t do it.
    Can’t afford the time; don’t do the crime.
    KISS

Oh stop your bitching and whining
    You’re rich, deal with it.
    The rest of us do.

And your shit stinks too. :|

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. redravin

Abortions in Texas can resume under a federal judge’s ruling late Wednesday, but for how long? A conservative federal appeals court, and ultimately the Supreme Court, might take a more skeptical look at the Biden administration’s lawsuit over Texas’ six-week abortion ban.

The state law prohibiting abortions once cardiac activity is detected, usually around six weeks, had been in effect for more than a month. U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman temporarily blocked it, in a 113-page ruling that found the law violates a woman’s right to an abortion.

But the legal fight over the law at this point isn’t focused on abortion rights, but rather on who has the ability to mount a legal challenge to it and what a court can do.

Both the Supreme Court and the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals previously rejected pleas from abortion providers to keep the law from taking effect until courts could definitively rule on its constitutionality. It’s not clear how they will rule in the new case or when they might be expected to weigh in.

Texas judge says abortions can resume, but future uncertain

• Informative Informative x 1