1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics What is happening????

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by pan6467, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & don't criticize.

The general feeling is the restrictive (anti)abortion will stand, but with some portions being declared illegal.

The whole bill needs to be shot down.
    But the bounty/reward seriously
    needs to be declared illegal.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Just the precedent that random citizens can sue you because you had an abortion is absurd.

That is a slippery slope and then some.
    Imagine application of this to other laws or scenarios??

Not only the injustice, but it would overwhelm the courts. We’re already over doing it with lawsuits already in this country.

The judges should strike it down under that principle alone.
    …much less their sanity. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. redux

redux Very Tilted Donor

Unfortunately, moments ago, the conservative Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals blocked the temporary injunction issued by the district court early this week...

Texas Abortion Law Back In Effect As Appeals Court Blocks Injunction

The initial ruling last month by the conservative majority on the Supreme Court that allowed this highly restrictive law to go into effect did not consider the constitutionality of the Texas law in its one paragraph opinion:

...In reaching this conclusion, we stress that we do not purport to resolve definitively any jurisdictional or substantive claim in the applicants’ lawsuit. In particular, this order is not based on any conclusion about the constitutionality of Texas’s law, and in no way limits other procedurally proper challenges to the Texas law, including in Texas state courts...
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/21a24_8759.pdf

This law is ultimately headed to a full hearing by the Supreme Court but it is not surprising to me that the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, one of the most conservative of the 12 federal appeals courts, would allow it to proceed when its constitutionality is highly questionable.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Facebook - Raskin vs Gaetz

Damn, I WISH this was how Congress was shown always.
    Much less, this logic and articulate.

Unfortunately, due the media’s greed for controversy
    It shows the mad showboaters so much more.

THIS is the intelligent…and still passionate debate that we should get for our government.

ANY government
    ANY nation
    ANY level

A shame insane selfish ramblings get more attention and priority.