1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics What is happening????

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by pan6467, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This isn't news; it's merely the continued failure of the hypothesis of trickle-down economics.

I call it a hypothesis knowingly because most people erroneously call it a theory.

A theory is a hypothesis supported by repeated testing or observation.

2. redux

redux Very Tilted

I call it a belief in a supply side santa clause and a trickle down tooth fairy.

3. Baraka_Guru

Reality #1: Well, trickle-down economics has worked so far, so let's keep at it!

Reality #2: Trickle-down economics would work if only we'd cut taxes!

Also, could someone rigorously fact-check this please? I want it to be ridiculously wrong:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

A turn-around that's not considered a turn-around.
    An improvement that's not considered an improvement.
    A ratings agency that is biased and ignored...versus before when it was biased by conflict of interest...and paid attention to or taken for granted.

Up is down, down is up.
    You lie you're rewarded, you tell the truth you're punished.

I can only hope that the rational and common sense powers that be take note and act...much less get their message across.
    Or that the perversion's consequences collapse under it's own weight...and the people see it for what it is.

Only that I would prefer the former to the latter...because even if there is justice,
    dealing with the impact of those consequences will be a challenge, if not significant.

5. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

The left has long been accused of falsely portraying southern right wing Christian Republicans as bigots. Ann Coulter's new book claims that it's the Republicans who care, and have always cared about the plight of the downtrodden. No bigots on the Right, according to Ann. A good part of it, from what I hear (I'll neither read it nor plug it) delves almost completely into Liberal racism and the Left's agenda to destroy the African American race by forcing entitlement and anti-poverty programs upon them in an effort to prevent them from becoming productive equals in society.

A few years ago I might have questioned whether the portrayal was a worn out stereotype. SRWCRs did seem to be turning the corner. I think it's become clear of late that corner was never turned by many. All they'd been doing was hiding their bigotry in a political and social environment that had become intolerant of it.

Welcome to the new America where bigotry and racism have been allowed to come out of hiding.

Recent comments or writings by Republican politicians:

Ark Rep. Jon Hubbard "Slavery may have been a blessing"
    Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing' In New Book

Ark Rep. Charlie Fugua " Deport all Muslims" " Create a system that allows parents to seek judicial consent to kill rebellious children" "Liberals are the Anti-Christ"
    Charlie Fuqua for Arkansas State Representative - Blogs

Rep Loy Mauch "If slavery were so God-awful, why didn’t Jesus or Paul condemn it, why was it in the Constitution and why wasn’t there a war before 1861?"
    Loy Mauch, Arkansas Lawmaker, Defended Slavery In Letters To The Editor

Ohio Sec of State Jon Husted (regarding his decision to open early voting locations on weekdays only - he thought he was speaking off the record) "I guess I really actually feel we shouldn't contort the voting process to accommodate the urban - read African-American - voter-turnout machine,"
    Ohio Republican Party: GOP Chairman Made Racist Remarks Because He Thought He Was Speaking Off the Record

SC Rep. Alan Clemmons "Amen Ed" in response to one of his constituents who was praising Mr. Clemmons for his voter ID legislation. Mr. Ed Loziol, commenting on a Democratic proposal to compensate people who might struggle financially in obtaining the ID, remarked that if it was adopted "It would be like a swarm of bees going after a watermelon." The Rep's emailed reply "Amen Ed"
    SC lawmaker said ‘Amen’ to supporter’s racist email | The Raw Story

Newt Gingrich
    “Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works. So they literally have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day. They have no habit of ‘I do this and you give me cash,’ unless it's illegal.”
    There's plenty more.

And all of this considered acceptable discourse as far as their supporters are concerned. Get enough of these creatures elected into office and they'll have to exhume Lincoln, Johnson and MLK to get things back on track.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. rogue49

Everyone I talk to is feeling it.
    Frankly I think we're being fee'd to death...death by a thousand cuts.

7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

People need to really work on reducing their expenses. Like by a lot. Yes, fees are everywhere, but if you can't find a thousand or two of waste in your budget, you aren't trying hard enough. Now, part of the reason the economy is different today than it was in 2007 is because a lot of people aren't borrowing money from credit cards to fund a higher standard of living than they could afford. But, there are cheaper alternatives to most of the money decisions people make. They just don't choose them for one reason or another.

Oh, and people don't plan for the worst. Unemployment isn't that bad if you are prepared for it and have a plan for what to do (along with a few months living expenses saved up). Maybe you will need to find another job, maybe you can start a business with other unemployed people and come up with some new ideas, maybe you just sell the excess stuff you have and do some real cheap travel around the world. You should have a plan for what you will do the first day, weekend, month, and year that you don't have a job. Both to keep yourself busy and productive, to relax a little because you deserve it, to better your own life, to do your own research into the issues, and to help others.

8. rogue49

What I'm hoping...and what Wall Street is likely half scared of...is that if Obama wins a 2nd term,
    then untethered from having to win another...he'll start taking quite a few into account.

We'll see, but my sense of justice has not been satisfied.

9. Baraka_Guru

What is the goal of Wall Street but to squeeze as much wealth out of the economy as possible? The nice precondition/side effect is providing the economy access to capital, which certainly makes things happen, but when those in charge have no one to answer to and no consequences for reckless actions, one can only expect to see the system stumble and crash when things get out of hand.

One can also expect the burden of such negative outcomes to be shifted to those whose only wrongdoing was trusting those making the decisions.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  10. rogue49

cue Liza & Joel signing "Money makes the world go around..."

hmm...I love the name of this headline. :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  11. Joniemack

12. rogue49

Apparently...Same Old Shit

Nice to know The Founding Fathers stood above it all.
    Not quite the same vision from history class...

No wonder they didn't trust ANYBODY and set up the system they did.

13. rogue49

Compliments of this year's campaign...
    We have the "excellent" lessons learn, in case your kids want to go into American politics. :rolleyes:

14. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

people have been trying to bring these questionable machines up every election, but it never catches on. there are quite a few accounts of vote flipping on each individual vote cast, and the ability to flip entire vote totals at the precinct level reported. plus many machines have ties to politicians themselves. that's why i don't have a lot faith in the voting system.

there are already youtube videos of them malfunctioning for whatever reason this election.

15. rogue49

Actually, I'm putting this up here...because it's not just a GOP issue...but any party, especially the Dems should learn from it.
    Money just causes havoc.

And I agree with one of the pundits this morning...it's not the Presidential or Senatorial elections that if affects more,
    those are have shown to be more about the candidate and campaigns...not the money,
    but it is likely to have more significance on the House elections... more bang for the buck.

Since they all go every 2 years...they're always hustling for cash...and the smaller venues makes a difference against their opponents resources.
    Super-PAC can REALLY have some tug & pull influences on these.

At least, if you can't restrict the funds under "free speech" (barring a Constitutional amendment...)
    make it transparent ...no more anonymous donations. If you pay...you have to show you played.
    This will get rid of the dark around the "shadow money". Plus remove any illegal money laundering (something they're prosecuting in CA)

16. rogue49

Are we finally holding our politicians accountable??

Will integrity come around again?

17. rogue49

HOW is this not illegal???
    I would think the nations would be attacking this like crazy.

Sure, finally go after the hidden tax caches...but allow large entities to bank under the table. Why Not?
    And they wonder why there are crisises, corruption and debt...

67 TRILLION!!!??? :eek:

18. Baraka_Guru

19. Joniemack

I don't know, but blaming it on Obama makes it go away

20. rogue49

What is happening?
    Well, this is still happening...

The US companies are still sitting on their laurals...but their staffs are working harder than ever.
    The EU still can't get their act together, nor can Japan. BRIC aren't showing much either.

Until the leaders of the world stop trying to CYA and move forward with intent...then things will continue to stagnate.
    Not collapse, not do "bad"...but just feel like you're working with a C+ student...instead of a fully productive one.

Got one word for them,
    INVEST