1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe What is the recipe you are known for?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I consider myself a decent cook, and a very good griller. But there is one recipe that I make that I get special requests for over and over again from friends. At random times I'll have them come up to me and say "when are you making your chili?" or "next time you make your chili, can I get some?". I've even entered a few local contests with it and placed 2-3rd among dozens of contestants. And the nice guy that I am, I'm willing to share it with TFP. ;)

3 lbs ground beef
    1 large onion
    3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 habanero pepper
    2-3 large poblano peppers
    7-8 serrano or cayenne peppers
    3-4 chipolte peppers
    54oz canned red kidney beans
    20oz Hunts whole tomatoes in tomato juice, juice and all
    16oz beer
    1.5 tbl brown sugar
    2 tsp Mexican oregano
    2.5 tbl cumin
    1.5 tbl kosher salt
    3 tsp black pepper
    1.5 tsp cayenne pepper powder

I typically double the recipe, and it fills up a 6qt pot. But the above quantities are still plenty to get you what you need for a decent quantity. First, brown the meat. While that is going, you can start to cut up all the peppers and onion. Once the meat is done, drain it and leave it in the pot. Add in all of the peppers and onion, as well as the other spices, on low heat. Mix these in and add the beer, tomatoes, and beans. Stir well and set the heat so it is just barely hot enough to slowly bubble. Let it simmer with the lid on for several hours, stirring occasionally. I actually recommend letting it simmer for about 3 hours, letting it cool on the stove for another 90 minutes or 2 hours, refrigerating overnight in the pot, then simmering another 2-3 hours the next day. I don't know why that seems to work so well, but it does. You can serve it by itself, or over some saltine crackers and shredded cheese. :cool: Delish!!!

If you decide to make it, please report back with your thoughts.

What's your secret recipe?

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Roast Beef Shangri-La

Roast a joint of beef as normal. Carve it in the kitchen and arrange the slices so they cover a baking tray. Try to get the overlap so that each slice is one-third open to the air. Use a second baking tray if need be.

Crush loadsa nuts
    Stir them into loadsa honey and or golden syrup
    Your intent is to make a crunchy paste which you will paint over the arranged beef slices.
    You may or may not need to thin it out a little with water: The idea the nuts to stand proud, lighly held together with the syrup, ratehr than being gooey nut-lumps.

The oven is very hot and you put the tray at the top because you are aiming to rapidly glaze/caramelise the surface of the honey and slighly char the nuts ... but to do so quickly enough that the meat will not dry out. The slight wetting, if need be, of the honey mixture, is so it can slighly soak into the exposed third as a passing homage to 'honey-roasting'

:)

3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

That's a tough one. I don't think there is a recipe that I can say people automatically associate with me.

Rather, I'd say it is our annual Thanksmas dinner (turkey and many dishes served to a growing group of friends) for which both my wife and I have become known.

4. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

Beef Wellington, only for Christmas

The trick is to get the absolute best beef tenderloin you possibly can because it's the backbone (no pun intended) of the dish. Tenderloin is a muscle that's located underneath the vertebra of the cow, and the muscle isn't worked often at all, making it extremely tender and flavorful. In addition, you'll need to locate black poplar mushrooms, which can be hard to find in the US. In Europe, I believe they've called chestnut mushrooms. Everything else is simple enough.

1 2 lb., 4 oz. beef tenderloin cut
    3/4 lb. black poplar mushrooms (you might be able to get away with substituting Portabello in a pinch)
    1 lb. pack of puff pastry
    6-8 slices prosciutto
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1/4 cup chestnuts
    2 Tbs. English mustard
    3 Tbs. olive oil
    1 large thyme sprig
    2 egg yolks, with a bit of water
    kosher salt and black pepper

Salt and pepper the tenderloin, then sear it in a hot skillet with a bit of olive oil. Since it's round, utilize the side of the pan to more efficiently sear. Don't forget the ends. Remove from heat to a plate. Brush the still hot meat with the mustard (or horseradish, if you prefer). As the meat cools, it will absorb a lot of the flavor.

Put your mushrooms, garlic, and salt and pepper in a food processor and chop briefly. Add the chestnuts and chop for approximately 15 seconds. Move the slightly lumpy paste to a dry pan over medium heat, to remove some of the moisture from the mushrooms. Later on, this will help to absorb the fat from the beef. As it heats, add the thyme and stir to ensure equal moisture loss. After approximately 3-5 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool.

On a flat, clean surface, roll out about a foot of cellophane towards you. Lay the prosciutto out along the cellophane vertically as evenly as possible. Add some pepper. Spread on the cooled mushroom paste evenly across the prosciutto. Lay the beef on top. Very carefully, holding the cellophane closest to you, fold the prosciutto and mushroom concoction around the beef, encircling it as evenly as humanly possible. Once you're all the way over, roll what was your end of the cellophane inside to completely encase the Wellington. Cut the cellophane from the roll. Take each outside of the cellophane and, like a Christmas candy, twist them to close off the Wellington and to form it into a perfect cylinder. You'll need to squeeze it and twist it tightly. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.

*If you're doing this the day of, and won't be leaving the uncooked Wellington in the fridge overnight, preheat your oven now.

Like before, roll out about a foot of cellophane towards you. Lay out your puff pastry, and place the Wellington in the middle. Roll the pastry around the Wellington tightly, then cut off any more than an inch and a half on the outside of each side. Twist the pastry on each side like you did the cellophane to trap the juices and flavor inside. Roll this inside of cellophane, as you did previously, and twist the outsides to correct the shape. Refrigerate for between 5 minutes and overnight. I usually do this on Christmas Eve.

Once you're ready to bake, preheat your oven at 400 degrees F. Glaze the exterior of your glorious Wellington with your egg yolks. When I made this, I scored the outside with a knife in the shape of a Christmas tree. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt, then put in the oven for approximately 35 minutes. Once it's finished, be sure to let it cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

This particular dish goes extremely well with potatoes and a medium to full bodied dry red wine.

I'm almost certain I got the recipe from a Gordon Ramsay special.

5. Son got stopped in the street and asked to ask mum for this recipie by an Akita owner nearby whos children had earnt a couple of slices for their dog for helping a pipistrel bat that was on the pavement. In case of stunned bats, put them in a hanging basket on a piece of kitchen towel, and they will probably be gone by morning. They can not take off from ground. (Just learnt that, and hopefully pip the bat is busy eating mossies)
    Liver Cake
    (for good dogs or bad children)
    Blend one pound liver with half bulb garlic and one or two eggs (depending on how spongy you like your cake)
    Pour this gunk into half pound of flour, stir through and pour into greased and floured cake tin, and whack it in the oven at about 220 for about 20 mins. Can add marmite (little as has salt) to the mix, or peanut butter. Did try redcurrant jelly in with lambs liver once, but that was just messy.

Willtravel - I recognised your chestnuts, although never heard of the black poplar myself.

6. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I've been wanting to look for a Beef Wellington recipe every time I watch Hell's Kitchen, but I keep forgetting. This sounds delicious. Thanks for posting it, Will.
    Is that really 12 lbs. of meat?

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think that when you are a truly good cook, most people just look forward to whatever you create. My husband's family always asks me to bring something to family dinners, and his aunts want to know right away what I brought.

I'm probably best known for my breads. I am typically responsible for baking rolls or bread for family dinners. But I sometimes get asked to make other things too--vegetarian food and cake seem to be the other things people want from me. :)

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I think that's a good way to look at it snowy.

I am slowly becoming known for bread as I've only just started making breads. I building a rep for making bagels and I am particularly happy about that because, I am still amazed that I managed to make them at all.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

You people are nicer than me.
    I have people that line up for my chili, but I don't share the recipe with anyone. :)
    my habanero spice cookies are pretty much in demand, too. I'll share that recipe when I get home.

10. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

I am known primarily for desserts/baked goods. It is also what I enjoy cooking the most, as it carries a lot of emotional and sentimental memories for me.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm known for at least two things: 1) coffee, and 2) spicy peanut sauce.

1) Coffee

My "secret" is to not fuck around with that weak shit your mother brews. The other "secret" is to not use shit coffee and only grind it when it's ready to hit the water. My last "secret" is to add at least 1 heaping tbsp of ground coffee for every cup (250ml) of brew.

I push my coffee to the limit of it being too much, but I never seem to go overboard. I've been praised for my brew, but I've never had someone say, "It's too strong, wtf?!"

2) Spicy Peanut Sauce

There are a variety of ways to make spicy peanut sauce. Too many commercial varieties are vinegary. I don't use vinegar in mine.

Mine is generally a balance of the following ingredients:

• Broth (chicken or vegetable, low sodium)
    • Natural peanut butter (chunky if you like texture)
    • Hot sauce (or peppers if you're hardcore)
    • Brown sugar
    • Reduced-sodium naturally brewed soy sauce
    • Minced/pressed garlic
    • Chinese five-spice blend (or, separately, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, and ground fennel)

The key is in balancing the flavours to your liking. I generally like it a rather spicy and a bit on the salty side vs. sweet. And don't be afraid of adding a rich peanut flavour.

The trick is to use low-sodium broth and soy sauce so that you have more control over the saltiness without sacrificing flavour.

And, for the love of everything sacred, please, please use actually brewed soy sauce. It's not quite the same difference as with table syrup vs. real maple syrup, but it's the same idea.

12. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

No, it's 1 (one, as in a single) 2 lb., 4 oz. cut. Sorry, I guess that's kinda confusing.

If you want, I have a copy of the video of Ramsay's Christmas Specials I can upload somewhere for you. He makes pork stuffing, caramelized cranberry and apple sauce, roasted turkey, scrambled eggs on toasted croissants, steamed pudding, roasted potatoes, honey glazed ham, pumpkin soup, mulled wine, salmon nicoise, pannacotta, and finally the beef Wellington. Someone uploaded it to Youtube, but it was taken down.
    --- merged: Aug 5, 2011 6:14 PM ---
    I got my dad a burr grinder for Fathers Day, and realized that the little chopping device I use is utter crap. How do you grind your beans? I generally use this technique. I have these amazing beans from Southeast Asia that are so dark light can't escape them that make a coffee so powerful it grants 3 wishes. I wished for a million dollars, but this cup of coffee was a trickster and granted my wish in a way that I was a wanted bank robber, so I think I learned a valuable lesson.

13. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Potatoes au Gratin, eggplant parm, roasts

People like my chili, but it isn't near my own standards.

I'm getting close with my bread. I want to be know for that.

14. Baraka_Guru

If you aren't using a burr grinder, you're doing it wrong and you're ruining good coffee beans.

As for that link: it's generally how I make coffee too.

Those are some serious beans. There's nothing like a good dark roast so shiny that you swear you can see the oil oozing out of them.

Remember: it's not a "true" dark roast unless it's been fired past that second crack; otherwise, it's at best a city roast.

15. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

Oh, the sheen! The beans are so oily that I not only can see my reflection in them, but I can see the line of my people, back to the beginning. They do call to me, they bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla; where they brave may live forever.

16. I don't do much cooking/baking anymore since I don't tend to go to family dinners as I am about 2500 miles away from them. I don't cook much outside of that.

I was usually asked to make cheesecake, buckeyes, or puppy chow. My brother was always a fan of my homemade organic carrot cake and cream cheese icing. He also liked my stuffing/dressing. I would make two kinds: vegetarian and one with turkey gizzards and livers. The first time I made the meaty one, the gizzards and livers were too tough since as a vegetarian, I don't really know how to cook that sort of thing. I tried again after a little research and believe I know what I'm doing now. My brother always liked the flavor of the dressing, but once I figured how to cook dead turkey organs, it was excellent he said. I'll take his word for it.

I've made a few things for work lately. I took in some no-bake cookies to celebrate my year anniversary here and everyone enjoyed them. The biggest uproar was over my artichoke spinach dip I made for a work party a few weeks ago. My coworkers want me to make it again....and make MORE. They were scraping the sides of the dish to make sure they got every bit.

I don't really have recipes for a lot of these things, except for the chocolate-PB Cheesecake and Carrot Cake. I just cook everything else as I see fit. The Buckeye recipe is pretty standard, but the process I use is what makes them the best. I'll keep THAT a secret. I decorate the cheesecake with buckeyes if I happen to be making them around the same time.

17. Baraka_Guru

I know exactly what you mean—except instead of Valhalla, the people I saw dwell in Tír na nÓg.

18. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

I didn't know you were Klingon!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ring

ring

It's been awhile since I've made chili. Each time it turns out a little different.
    What I'm known for is forgetting exactly how I made it the last time.
    I want to try using Nutella as an ingredient some time. Worried it might be too sweet though.
    Cashew butter is good in chili.

20. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

[​IMG]

A few dishes, Beef with Basil/Mint is the most well known among my friends. It is super easy to make, tasty, and much cheaper than going to the Thai restaurant. Requires all items you can find in most grocery stores.

[​IMG]
    Second is Massaman Curry, beef or chicken it don't matter which. It's a little more challenging because you need access to Massaman curry paste. If you can get that, you're home free. Another reason to now pick something else from the Thai restaurant.

I wish I could perfect Pad Thai because if I did that I'd be boss among bosses.