1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe What is the recipe you are known for?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 4, 2011.

1. chelle

chelle Vertical

i LOVE masaman!!!!! I need to learn to cook from my mom =\

2. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

electric. I have a cheap-o Brinkmann from Home Depot. It's simple, but gets the job done.

Turkey came out great, btw. Making chili with it tonight, as I ran out of time yesterday.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Macaroni and Cheese (measurements are approximate)

This is NOT a low-fat recipe.

1 box of elbow noodles
    1/2 cup or so butter
    1/4 cup or so flour
    Smidge of nutmeg
    2 cups or so hot milk
    2 cups or so cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup or so sharp cheese, shredded
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Panko breadcrumbs

Cook your noodles. Make a roux by melting butter in a saute or other heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat and mixing the butter into the fat. Once the flour is cooked (couple of minutes), pour in the hot milk while whisking. Whisk until smooth. Turn up the heat a bit; you won't know how thick the sauce is going to be until it hits the simmer. Season the sauce with nutmeg. Turn down the heat after it thickens and begin adding the cheese. Save some cheese for sprinkling on top. Once the sauce is smooth again, add the pasta, and stir them together. Taste it and season it. Put the noodles and sauce into a buttered casserole dish. Top with the extra cheese and panko breadcrumbs. Bake in a 400 degree oven until golden brown, bubbly, and delicious.

You can also add vegetables to it. My favorites are chopped broccoli and peas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

I don't know that a decent low-fat recipe for macaroni and cheese exists.

5. snowy

You can make macaroni and cheese semi low-fat by using skim milk to make the sauce and adding sharp cheese as the main cheese, but that's really about all you can do.

6. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

I like recreating a lot of recipes from restaurants we are too far from to visit regularly. My most requested one is the Jalapeno Ranch dip from Chuy's in Austin.

Ingredients:
    2 bunches Cilantro
    1 cup jalapenos (whole if you like it hot, seeded if you want it more like the original.
    1 cup Salsa Verde
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    6 cloves Garlic
    2 packages Ranch Flavoring (I use the Hidden Valley Kind)
    2 cups whole fat sour cream
    2 cups mayonnaise (Have used both Miracle Whip and Homemade with olive oil and egg yolks, Homemade is better)

Blend everything except the sour cream and mayo in a blender and then fold them in slowly. Let it set in the fridge for at least an hour to meld the flavors. The longer you leave it after that the hotter it will become.

7. snowy

Oh man. I want to make that and take it to the Halloween party I am going to tonight.

8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Smoke anything yet? :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

Clam Chowder
    large can of cream-of-"whatever's in the cupboard" soup
    milk (twice the volume of cream-of-whatever soup)
    2 cans chopped clams (I use smoked clams for more flavor and chop them myself)
    enough sliced celery and diced potatoes to make the soup extra chunky

10. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

just my usual vice products :p I've been a bit slammed so I haven't had time to attempt this. I'm hoping it will happen soon though!

• Like Like x 1
  11. chiron34 New Member

Penang Laksa (also known as Assam Laksa)

Although I am Australian, I am married to a Malaysian and have lived for many years in Malaysia. Along the way, I picked up a few recipes that have been a hit with Australians when I have prepared them. Here’s one (incidentally, it’s my favourite).

This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings; and takes about an hour to prepare. As it is an Asian dish, there is a lot of cutting so the actual cooking time is a little more than half an hour.

Ingredients:

The Soup

3 medium fresh mackerel or small tuna (about 600 grams or 1¼ lbs), cleaned and left whole. If mackerel or tuna is not available, choose another dark, oily fish to ensure that the soup has its’ characteristically fishy taste.
    2 litres (8 cups) water
    4 tablespoons tamarind pulp, soaked in 1 cup (250 ml) water, mashed and then strained for juice
    2 wild ginger buds (bunga kantan), sliced
    3 sprigs daun kesum leaves (called Asian Mint or Vietnamese Mint in Australia), washed and sliced
    2 tablespoons sugar
    500 grams (1 lb) fresh round rice noodles (Laksa noodles) or 250 grams (8 ozs) dried rice noodles

Spice Paste

2 stalks lemongrass, thick bottom third only, outer layers removed, inner part sliced
    2½ centimetres (1 inch) fresh turmeric root, sliced or 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
    5 dried red chillies, soaked in warm water and cut into lengths
    7 fresh red chillies, sliced
    10 shallots, peeled and halved
    1 teaspoon belacan (prawn paste)

Garnishes

1 small cucumber, peeled, deseeded and sliced thinly
    6 sprigs daun kesum, sliced
    Few sprigs mint, torn
    1 large red onion, sliced
    3 red chillies, sliced
    ½ fresh small pineapple, peeled and sliced into small pieces
    4-6 hard-boiled quail eggs, halved or 3 hard-boiled chicken eggs, peeled and quartered (optional)
    I heaped teaspoon black prawn paste (hay koh), diluted in two tablespoons warm water. Use black prawn paste sparingly as it has a strong fishy taste that takes a little getting used to. Black prawn paste is also known as petis.

Method:

1. Simmer the cleaned fish in the water for five minutes until cooked. Remove the fish and set aside to cool. Strain the fish stock carefully and pour into a large pan with the tamarind juice, bunga kantan, daun kesum and sugar. When cool enough to handle, debone the fish and coarsely flake the fish with a fork.

2. Grind the spice paste ingredients to a paste in a mortar or blender adding a little oil if necessary to keep the blades turning. Add the spice paste to the pan with the fish stock. Add half of the flaked fish and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes’

3. Prepare the garnishes.

4. Blanch the noodles in boiling water to heat through and drain. If using dried noodles, boil them for about seven minutes and drain or follow packet instructions for preparation. Divide the noodles into six serving bowls and ladle the fish stock to almost fill each bowl. Garnish each bowl with the rest of the flaked fish and a helping of the various garnishes. Serve with a small bowl of the diluted black prawn paste on the side.

That's it. Enjoy!

chiron34

12. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

i tried this one out over thanksgiving.

angels wept and trumpets sounded to how fucking great this chili was. the refrigerate and reheat did add some intangable to my surprise. just the broth alone make me want to sell as much blood an semen as would be necessary to hire gordon ramsey to make a kiddie pool of it so that when i smelled it i could use my meters long erection as a pogo stick to pogo to the top of an adjacent building and then tie off my hands and feet and jump into the pool so that i could drown in/eat up all of the delicious chili and die in a truly enlightened sense of joy and contentment.

• Like Like x 2
  13. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

super brownies. normal brownie mix + 1lbs of dark chocolate mixed in.

14. Borla

Bwahahahahahaa!!! I take it my chili recipe was a success, eh? :D

Thanks for letting me know in such detailed fashion. Made my night.

15. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I think I am going to try this.

Ive no idea how it will taste, I just like the name

What does "Italian spice" mean??? I have the other things in my spice rack I think, but I have no clue what that even is? Is it like the American name for Basil or something?

16. Borla

I don't think it means just basil. We use basil here and call it by that. My guess, barring a better clarification by DrSublime, would be that it was an Italian blend of spices, something like this: https://www.sunofitaly.com/store/products/Italian-Spice-Mix-(3.5-oz.-Jar).html

You could probably make your own. Most of the recipes I've found are something like this:

2 parts dried basil
    2 parts dried marjoram
    2 parts dried oregano
    1 part dried sage

Obviously you could adjust whether a "part" is a teaspoon or a tablespoon or whatever based on the quantity you wanted to make. You could store it in an airtight bag and it would keep for a while, so you could make a batch and use it for other recipes as well.

17. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I'm known for selecting and cooking very good meat (beef, lamb, chicken).

Really want to wrap my head around cooking seafood nicely.

18. thetemplarswife

thetemplarswife Vertical

I recently, around Thanksgiving, found the recipe for some great lil rolls. THey are incredibly delicious and the kids love them.

You need a pack of the pilsbury crescent rolls, shredded cheddar, ranch dressing, diced green onions and real bacon bits.

First, roll out the crescent rolls, then coat them with ranch dressing. If you dont like ranch, its ok. YOu cant taste it anyway. Then cover it with shredded cheese, cut green onions, and real bacon bits. Roll the dough, cut it into thin pieces and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. They are awesome and easy.

19. ashland

ashland Vertical

My chili. The secret to great chili is that it has to be raining when you make it. Must be the humidity...not sure.

20. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

just want you to know that i made it again over christmas... i'm addicted