1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe What is the recipe you are known for?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Nice! Thanks for letting me know, it's always nice to hear others are enjoying your recipes. :cool:

2. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

recipe?

3. dodger01

dodger01 Getting Tilted

My BBQ pork> cooked on the Big Green Egg> pulled not chopped
    And my brined/smoked turkey....

4. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

hmpf. I am passive-aggressive when it comes to making food and deliberately refuse to specialize in anything. I oppose most activities that emphasize out-dated social roles, cooking being one of the most highly charged. Weird, I know.

The things I do make that I am most noted for are my sandwiches. If I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would be the deli sandwich.
    Tuna on rye, egg salad on toast, BLTs on Wonder bread, fried baloney with a generous slather of Hellmans, whitefish salad on toasted sesame bagel...fuck. yeah.

I'm know for my coffee, as well, mainly because I want the best experience I can get in this department and will offer this service, if I have guests. It also ties in nicely to my deli fantasy.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Cooking doesn't "emphasize outdated social roles." People do. Cooking is an essential survival skill. Look at the options when it comes to eating if you can't cook: convenience food and takeout. Convenience food is known to be high in calories and sodium. Preparing food from fresh ingredients is much healthier for you.

In my household, my husband cooks more than I do. So much for a skill "emphasizing outdated social roles."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

An essential survival skill? So shouldn't we specialize in hunting, then?

I didn't say I didn't cook, Snowy, I said I don't specialize in anything. I am also well aware of the many noted male cooks in the world. I have even had the great pleasure of consuming the creations of such legends as Jacques Torres (know him?) and have held the freckled hand of Ina Garten.

My response stems from my own personal family experience, excuse my careless generalization, where cooking is a power trip for most of the women and my going into their territory has been met with some adversity. Therefore, I have chosen not to specialize in anything, to avoid wearing their badge of, what I believe in my family context, has become a stagnant role.

I do enjoy some things about cooking. I just enjoy other things more.

7. EventHorizon

Anybody got any good recipes for venison?

8. Borla

Any specific cut?

9. EventHorizon

whatever you can help with, i'm sure my uncle has it

10. Borla

Take just about any venison roast. Put it in a crock pot with a jar of peppercinis (juice and all), a couple tablespoons of minced garlic, a package of zesty italian dressing powder mix, a thinly sliced onion, and a can of beef broth. Cook it on low for 7-8 hours. Take it out after that, slice it against the grain and put it back in the crock pot with all the drippings. Serve over hoagie rolls with provolone cheese. :cool:

11. EventHorizon

i hope you're ready for another metaphor rife with details on how this tastes. my mouth is already watering

• Like Like x 1
  12. Borla

I aim to please. :D

13. NetvorFena

NetvorFena Vertical

Mine is a very simple looking cheesecake. Every family gathering that we go to, people expect to eat my cheesecake. Most of the family do not add any cherry or fruit of any sort to it even though I've often had those things available. They love it plain.
    - I've learned that it is not half as good unless I make it a full day in advance. I don't use a springform pan because the edges get too dry - I may switch back to springform when I have the chance to get a convection oven.
    - I use a stoneware pie pan.
    - I whip the cream cheese with sugar and then I whip the eggs separately. If I don't it becomes more thick and heavy.
    - I use Cinnamon in the crust.

14. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

I make something similar to this but I use maple syrup instead of sugar and apple instead of the pineapple and but did the vanilla. Sometimes I will toss it some toasted pecans on top before serving. I am asked to make them every thanksgiving holiday. I imagine it would be good with the pineapple, I will have to give that a try sometime.

15. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I'm mostly known for chicken recipes. There is one, though, that I sometimes make with chicken, but properly speaking, it's a duck recipe, and if I have the time and the inclination, I like to make it with duck or goose.

I found an account once of the feast they gave at the ascension of Godefroy of Bouillon to the throne of the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem, and it mentioned a dish of fowl with wine and red cherries and spices both from France and from the Holy Land. It caught my interest, and after doing some desultory research into the cuisine of that time, I did my best to recreate the recipe-- with one or two changes based on making it kosher and more appealing to the modern palate.

I usually steam off some of the duck fat, first, and cut the bird into quarters, which I season with cracked pepper and sea salt, and rub it well with sage and orange peel and a clove of garlic. I then brown the duck in a tiny bit of olive oil, and after the outside is just browned and golden, I take it out, pour off most of the excess fat, and reserve just a little bit. I put the duck into a roasting pan with a thinly sliced onion and the same clove of garlic sliced thin, and the peel and juice of the orange I used to rub down the bird before cooking, and I finish off the duck in the oven at high heat. While it's in the oven, in the same saucepan I browned it in, I cook down in the reserved fat a couple of pieces of lamb bacon (or beef bacon, if I have no lamb bacon) chopped small, some minced shallot and orange zest, a little minced sage, a lot of cracked pepper, a couple of whole cloves, a stick of cinnamon, some grated ginger, a generous pinch of sumac, and a handful of juniper berries. To this I add some roughly chopped dried tart cherries, and a bagful of frozen black cherries that I have defrosted over night in the fridge, and around 2/3 of a bottle of very good quality dry red wine. I let that cook down until the volume reduces by at least half, and then I add a healthy splash of pomegranate molasses and some fresh pomegranate seeds. I let the volume reduce until it is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the original volume. I take the finished duck out of the oven, letting it rest for just a couple of minutes, and then put it directly into the sauce, turning everything to ensure the fowl is well coated. I let the fowl hang out in the sauce for at least 15 minutes before serving to ensure the flavors meld.

I serve this with saffron rice made with chopped raisins and slivered almonds, carrots cooked with figs and honey, and roasted brussels sprouts.

It's quite good, and people seem to enjoy both eating it and hearing its background.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  16. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I've been known for my ability to order takeout when my wife (who is an amazing cook) is ill.

17. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I am known for three main dishes:
    -chicken parm
    -white chicken chili
    -slow cooker pot roast
    I get asked frequently for the recipes, and to bring the chili to potluck events.

I'm also well known for the cookies I make whenever I pull out the stand mixer. I usually get voluntold to bring desserts to events. The one I get the most compliments on are my pumpkin butterscotch cookies, affectionately nicknamed "crack cookies"

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Okay, dude. Here's my sitch:

My martial arts school is having a potluck party this weekend, and I want to do a big batch of slow-cooker chili. My SO makes a pretty good chili, but she does a veggie chili Yves ground round. I wanted to keep it carnivore-friendly, because that's the kind of crowd this will be.

First question: Would your recipe work well in the slow cooker? (Like maybe on low for 8 hours?) I want to use a slow cooker because I'll cook it, bring it in the cooker, and set it up on "keep warm" during the party so people can eat away throughout the evening.

Second question: Would substituting ground turkey for the ground beef work out okay? I'm not sure how many will be beef eaters. Turkey seems more universally enjoyed.

Third question: What's the heat rating on this bad boy? Would you recommend scaling back at all to make it more universally enjoyable for those who don't like a lot of heat?

Fourth question: Should I just find another recipe to suit my needs?

19. Borla

I've never tried it in a slow cooker. It would probably work, but I'd brown the meat, drain it, and stir in the seasonings and peppers in a pot first. Then transfer to the slow cooker for 6-8 hours.

I've also never done turkey, but I'm sure you could. It would change the flavor profile, and it goes against everything I believe in to sub out beef, but I'm sure it would be okay.

It is fairly hot. But not unbearably hot. In all honesty, different batches have different heat levels just due to the fluctuation you get from one batch of peppers to the next.

I see no reason why you couldn't make it. My tip would be to make it the day before, following my normal stove top instructions. Taste it, and if it is too hot, add some more meat, tomatoes, and non-spicy seasoning. Then transfer it to the slow cooker and warm it up over several hours the next day. Chili is almost better the next day anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

So I went shopping for this.

I don't know if you're familiar with the ramifications of a Canadian "in dead of winter," but one aspect of that is produce of limited selection and quality. I had to make some substitutions for the peppers, which isn't all that bad because the alternatives were of milder varieties. I did manage to get poblanos and chipotles, but the others were substituted with jalepenos and Hungarian wax peppers.

I have ways of increasing the heat by dried means, if necessary.

I'm sure it will be fine. There's going to be meat.

• Like Like x 2