1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What is the TFP Plotto Machine? (Writers wanted)

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Baraka_Guru, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Baraka .... just occurs to me ... content might be NSFW or NS my mum. Where could I post it? Members plaground? TE?

3. Baraka_Guru

You mean in the case of photos? I would imagine that sticking to text would be best to avoid such issues. If there is erotic content, we can just tag the thread where it is now.

4. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

No ... I wasn't thinking of photos. Just the content of the story. So ... you saying that I'd just post the actual text in a more private area, and put a link to it in the Plotto submission thread?

5. Baraka_Guru

There is no reason to move it to a private area just because it's NSFW. We'll just tag the thread title.

6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I think I've been explaining myself badly. I'm asking what to do if I want it to be private away from the general public ... if I want to write something that for whatever reason I don't want anybody seeing my stuff except regular TFP members.
    --- merged: Jan 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM ---
    Thing is, there's stuff I would never share in a public forum. Now if need be, I can keep it vanilla, but it'd be nice to have the choice not to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  7. Baraka_Guru

Okay, I understand. That makes it a bit messier in terms of the exercise, which is in part about seeing how the stories compare based on the same plot source. I suppose maybe link it to your blog.

I would recommend "keeping it vanilla," maybe look at this as more of an exercise in fictioneering rather than writing very serious stuff.

At the same time, I don't want to discourage what you really want to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  8. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Thanks.

OK. Vanilla unless strong creative need drives me toward darker flavours, in which case I'll put it in my blog. Then also will do a vanilla-ized version for the main thread - I'm appreciating your point about putting submissions in a shared space for comparison.

Best wishes :)

9. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi ... I found this I don't know if you've seen it ...... an instruction booklet by William Wallace Cook, giving extra hints about using the plot generator

Unlocking the Plotto Plot Generator

:)

10. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I have mine ready but don't want to be the first virgin to the altar. It's been through 3 pretty extensive rewrites and if I screw with it any more I'm afraid I'll write out anything I still like about it. A bad habit of mine. Is anyone else close to finishing and ready to post? Let me know and we can hold hands as we jump into the pool together.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  11. Alistair Eurotrash

I jumped. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Almost, will finish this weekend.

13. Baraka_Guru

Out of curiosity: Do you have a title for your story?

14. Alistair Eurotrash

I'll add one. I think I'll call it "Elk".

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  15. Joniemack

Mine's up. Not sure if I mixed in enough of the occult, but I tried. I'm actually half way through another which is more occultish. I might post it too, unless that's against the rules.

16. Joniemack

Just joined Scribophile. Can't wait for the opportunity to spend a hunk 'o time there. 1st short story I read made me realize just what an amateur I am. Hopefully, the site will aid in my improvement as a writer.

17. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

the outputs in response to the outputs were very interesting, comrades.
    i enjoyed reading them.
    nicely played.

i am wondering if folk are open to the possibility of lines being lifted from their pieces and twisted in subsequent pieces? i have found it to be an interesting game to play in the past with a group of folk, and it has the perverse effect of tying together at some level the quite disparate pieces folk are doing. plus it adds another set of potential twists into the game.

the idea would be that we can lift a sentence or two from one or more stories from the previous week and do something else with them. they can be rearranged or scrambled---but they would need to function in a basically different way from the initial context (so, say, a sentence about an elk in one context might refer to a painting of an elk on the wall of an apartment in another).

18. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Sounds good to me.

19. Alistair Eurotrash

Interesting idea. I guess any kind of recognisable "echo" from the previous week's stories would work? It would be an interesting twist to try and include something from every story posted, for sure.

Sometimes it's the constraints that drive the innovation and creativity!

20. Baraka_Guru

I'm cool with that.