1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What is the TFP Plotto Machine? (Writers wanted)

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Baraka_Guru, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am good with this.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Sounds fun.

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

nice.
    so when Baraka_Guru spins the wheel and posts another plotto, we can add the constraint as amuses or as helps move the piece along.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

So just to be clear. Output #2 will require using material from Output #1? New Plotto, previous material, something new?

5. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i was thinking: new plotto, new material but with the option of taking lines from the previous stories and varying them.

6. Baraka_Guru

I was thinking the taking lines from previous stories as a prerequisite. New material in addition to that should be a given.

7. Alistair Eurotrash

Yes, an option. But a new plot.

Edit: or a prerequisite, that's fine by me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i think we should go for it. i think folk seem interested in working with lines from the previous stories and likely will. so maybe leave it optional for this round so folk can feel their way into doing it?

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I like this idea.

10. Baraka_Guru

11. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

The option of working with lines from Output #1 stories. Is that a line from all of them or from whichever one(s) we choose to include?

12. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i would do whichever works better. the more you use the more interesting the constraint, though.

13. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, scale the challenge as much as you like.

14. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

Where are we putting these stories?

15. Alistair Eurotrash

On the Plotto Output threads in this forum.. we are on Plotto Output #2 now.

16. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

17. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Over the last couple of weeks, reading everyone else's offerings, I have come to realize that my writing is bunk. Often clumsy and/or forced, it just doesn't stack up against what I've read so far. Ah well. Maybe next week.

18. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi ... your realization sounds very much like mine about my own work.

"Maybe next week" ... Baraka_Guru helped me past my maybes - got my ass in gear. The NaNoWriMo website confirmed my worst fears ... that what I write may well suck. I went ahead and wrote it anyway (NaNoWriMo Novel = 50000 words = kind-of-yay me). And it did, indeed suck.

And each week, I look at it, and it looks worse and worse and worse and worse. The only consolation is that I am improving critical skills to notice, and thereby have a chance to begin to fix more and more and more and more.

During the last few weeks I have been forcing myself to produce content here and on a writing forum, and the process is making me notice my own microscopic improvement, week by week and sentence by sentence, to compare 'me now' with 'me three weeks ago'. I am no longer only stacking up against Other People, but with my developing self, too; learning to increasingly see differences between us as differences in choice, rather than as evidence of my genetic inferiority.

Also, it occurs to me, that when YOU post your story, I know I'll read it and will have niggly feelings of "I wish I'd thought of that", and "that's deep - I wish I were less shallow"; and if, by any chance you write something that I simply don't understand, it'll just mean that I am uneducated in reading and in living. As you remember all the thoughts and feelings you've had about others' work ... please be assured that I'll likely be having some similar ones about yours.

And ... er .... quite aside from notions of 'quality' ... I'm dang curious to know What Kind Of World you'll share ... I mean, lets look at what Bodkin, Baraka, Jonie, Alistair, FreetoFly, Poetry, Roachboy have done ... just the worlds they've shared. Not the writing quality, just the unexpected boxes they've opened. I do hope you'll write something.

Take care :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Altermoose. Do you enjoy writing? Would you like to get better at it?

If so, then just do it. Start somewhere and press on. No one here is going to judge your writing skills. We're all with you on the same path.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Thanks for the boost, friends. After a brief pity party, I have decided to soldier on. I've just about completed an offering for #2. Should be putting it up sometime tonight. And I shall endeavour to remember that the only way to get better is to actually start doing in the first place.

• Like Like x 6