1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What is the TFP Plotto Machine? (Writers wanted)

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Baraka_Guru, Dec 19, 2012.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i'm not super-thrilled with the little piece i put up, partly because i ended up cutting all but a couple of the lines from other pieces that i had been working with and partly because the spiral in the piece got to be so tight that i am not sure it's clear what is happening. i may tinker with it some more. i just finished a long-ish sequence on the weekend, so am maybe a little fried.

no matter, tho. onward.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Two C8's in a row. Nothing against a spiritual victory but when do I get to kill someone off at the end? :D

4. Alistair Eurotrash

Hmm. There seems to be a common pattern. Getting a bit "samey"?

I may step out for this one. We'll see.

5. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

well, here's the thing. a "spiritual victory" can be as malicious as you want it to be. i would build the desired outcome back into a plotline. maybe messing with the viewpoint is a way to go. killing can be really satisfying spiritually for one who kills, for example.

at the same time, remember that a random function means that the previous array of outcomes has no relation to the present array of outcomes--so it is just as likely that a c8 will show up this time as not. this is perhaps one of the things that inspired the fine folk who made i-tunes to make their random function less random so that it would appear to be more random by excluding the variables that were just selected.

of course this leads me to think about neil young being sued by his record label for giving them an album that was not neil young enough. but i digress maybe.

6. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, you're going to get repeats. Remember, these aren't fully intact plots so much as plot kernels. It's up to you to define just what in heck is a spiritual victory.

It only gets "samey" if you write "samey." Change it up. Change the genre. Change the style. Write like Hemingway? Try writing like Kerouac or Joyce or, god forbid, like Henry James. Write a science fiction. Write a story with the violence of a Tarantino film.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. Alistair Eurotrash

Yeah, I know. You're right.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed in Plotto.

It can be made to work, though - and maybe I was expecting too much from it.

Honestly, a random word as a title would work just as well, or so it seems to me.

It worked when I was at school, anyway.

8. Joniemack

My Plotto 3 story is going to be a bit salacious in places. I'm not sure if you want to flag Plotto #3 as NSFW or if that would only apply to pictures. I'll wait for a reply before posting it up.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. Baraka_Guru

Have at it.

10. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Hypothetically, could one post more than one story per output? I don't have another one in the chamber right now. But should inspiration land on me, would it be acceptable to toss in another offering?

11. Baraka_Guru

I don't see why not. Who are we to discourage the prolific? The key is to stick to the guidelines otherwise.

12. Joniemack

I put two in during the 1st Plotto.

I'm still alive. :D

13. AlterMoose

14. Baraka_Guru

Hey, folks.

First, I'd like to apologize for my lack of participation thus far. I was sideswiped by a book project whilst I was working on another book project. Usually this kind of pile on is unexpected, and it really does a number on my creative juices. I know that's an excuse, but there you have it. I will be wrapping up the one book for the most part by this weekend, so once that is out of the way, my workload will be back to normal (ostensibly).

However, I wanted to bring up something looking forward to how we will continue with this. It was brought up that Plotto #3 is "repetitive" because it had a similar code from last time (the spiritual victory). Ideally, this shouldn't be a horrendous problem, and it's going to happen a lot where you get similar elements cropping up all the time. That's the nature of this. Again, these aren't full plots so much as the kernels from which you flesh out more developed plots. This is the potential of Plotto.

There is another option though. Let me know what you think.

This second option is not technically from Plotto but from the Fiction Idea Generator (FIG) app itself. It has its own plot randomizer. It has more constraints, which could be interesting in terms of seeing how the stories compare with such similar criteria. A sample output is:

Tense: Past
    Narrator: Alternating person
    Period: 4 days ago
    Situation: Unfaithful behavior
    Protagonist: A male sculptor who feels hyper
    Tritagonist: A female doctor who is industrious
    Their relationship: Criminal

The sixth category sometimes changes. Sometimes it's "tritagonist," other times it's "deuteragonist," "false protagonist," "archenemy," or simply "antagonist."

Narrators can be stream-of-consciousness, 1st person, 2nd person, 3rd person subjective, 3rd person omniscient, unreliable person, free indirect speech, etc.

Tenses can be past, present, future.

Periods can be 15 days ago, today, the 1950s, the 2030s, "in my mind's eye," during the Progressive Era, in autumn, etc.

Lots of situations, lots of relationship types, etc.

And so forth...and the writers fill in any blanks but use these constraints.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  15. AlterMoose

For my own part, I'd be partial to the original Plotto format. I can understand and respect the concern over repeating formula points, but I think we've established and shown that a redundant formula point does not equal a redundant story. It's been demonstrated already that attaining a spiritual victory, to continue the example, can be anything from gaining a religious goal, to maintaining one's worldview in the face of adversity, to cold murder because it's satisfying. I think I prefer the more open-ended format over the more restrictive FIG formula. If we do end up going that way, I will, of course, still try to participate.

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I like the Plotto format because it allows for a lot of flexibility. The FIG prompt is too structured for my tastes.

17. I've not had any time to participate or even follow this. :(

Maybe later, I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I like the Plotto format for the reasons above, also because I am now commited to the characters and the world I have created - they are part of a novel in weekly instalments, each scene of which will be determined by the Plotto-phrase you present.

Baraka, I have re-read your post and if the Fiction Idea Generator (FIG) app operates as simply as you press a button and it just gives you something you can post here, then please, please do add it as a vegetarian option on the menu ... it'd send me on an interesting techy-geek learning curve to understand some of the terms. (Deuteragonist? Wtfagonist!)

I don't want to lose the Plotto prompts but I'd extend my commitment, to do both if you post FIG scenarios.
    :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Joniemack

I'm for sticking with the original Plot Generator but I could be enticed by a constraint or two. Maybe just one constraint actually. Maybe 1 different constraint each week.

I like Zen's idea. Put it out there, as he calls it - a vegetarian option.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alistair Eurotrash

Yeah, the FIG thing seems a bit prescriptive - even more so than Plotto. Sure, there is room for invention but it could be too constraining for some people. Maybe as an option?

I'm easy, I guess. We can work around most things.

• Like Like x 1