1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What is your pointless talent?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GeneticShift, Oct 13, 2012.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I caught some fruit flies in my kitchen today, and was able to sex them and properly phenotype them. It got me thinking about random talents people have that serve little to no point in your daily life.

Here are some of mine:
    -As stated above, can properly sex and genotype/phenotype many common fruit flies by sight
    -If I hear a song about 3 times, I will know the lyrics for the rest of my life
    -I can fit my fist in my mouth
    -I can pick up most things with my toes

TFP. what are some of your pointless skills that no one really cares about?

2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

ThePriseInferno :

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. GeneticShift

Highest of fives granted. It's my useless "GeneticShift gets too drunk party trick.".

Also, I just realized you tagged my boyfriend in this. Well played, sir.

4. Remixer

Hah. You also get a highest of fives from me. Dare you to let your boyfriend know whether you lack a gag reflex.

5. I've seen it. Pretty awesome, actually.

She does have a gag reflex, she's just really... really good at suppressing it. :)
    Also, *highest of all high fives*

I can name any pitch that anyone plays for me. I can also usually tell whether it's out of tune (by more than, say, 5 cents) if we're assuming A = 440. I'm also pretty good at identifying chords, provided they're not inverted in a fucktarded way and/or too terribly polyphonic.
    Related, I can hear a melody a couple of times and be able to play it on trumpet or on guitar.

6. Raghnar

Raghnar Getting Tilted

totally earned it!

Me too back in my pianist day... was a good skill actually, not useless at all! Well also all the nerdy design-like skills like "difference from serif and sans serif font" are pretty useless in my endavour, but you never know for the future...

-I too can pick up things with my toes, and others flexy stuff like putting heel above head or sitting always in a crossed leg positions that everyone feels excruciately painful. In that type of things I have also a useless talent which I'm ashamed NOT TO have, so the touching the floor without bending knees, I'm always ashamed when doing stretching... :(
    -I can find the sex of cats (not difficoult as flies, but most of people can't, btw flies?! How the heck is that even possible?!).
    -Some wild-imagination related stuff, like finding faces and figures in every random pattern or relating functions profiles to Alps skyline.
    -I seem to have an outrageous luck in finding parking spots during vacation... :p

Some useless talent that I find evergreen funny, is that my girlfriend can speak in reverse (reverse --> esrever), many says that denotes a superior IQ in some sense, but it makes everyone laugh like a crazy and she is so ashamed of that never says anyone... She have even issues about that like confusing names which reverses are similar (Nicholas Cage, Jack Nicolson... try to find that one! :p)... I guess that from great powers comes great problems... XD

7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• I can find my way back to most places, even years later.
    • My accent will change for where I am, or if I'm speaking with others of a different type.
    • I can draw the boundaries of states and countries by memory.
    • I can crack most of my joints. (my wife hates this...)
    Now some useful ones...but not identifiable or done by intent.
    • I move with super-speed & dexterity in times of need or instinct.
    • I see patterns and connections where others cannot, useful for detective work and analysis
    • I'm creative and artistic, but not consistent, it happens when it happens. (I actually resist it if made to do it)
    Damn...I wish I do those above with consistency and by will...I'd make tons of money. :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  8. GeneticShift

It's actually not that difficult! I thank my Biological Sciences background.
    [​IMG]
    and it's actually not that difficult! Males are shorter bodied and have much darker bands. Females are larger, their bodies come to a point, and have easier to see stripes. There are other differences too, but this is the easiest way :)

I can do this too! If I've been somewhere once, I can usually find my way back without much problem.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I can tie a cherry stem with my tongue.
    I can touch my nose with my tongue.
    I can do more tequila shots than most former high school football players.
    I also have a weird collection of odd facts about pediatric illness.
    I have weird mall directional sense... If I've been there once, someone can call me and I'll direct them out. I hate that one.

10. TheSurgeOn

TheSurgeOn Getting Tilted

I can make varied and realistic fart noises by squeezing the palms of my hands together, wet or dry, high or low frequencies, dogs love it.

11. GeneticShift

I actually did this at dinner today because my uncle didn't think it was possible. Proved him wrong!

12. Remixer

Dunno if it's actually a pointless talent, but once I've had a brief look of the map of an area (pretty much any size), I can find my way around it without any issues.

Came in really handy when back in 2008 I was on the streets of Dubai and made the classic tourist mistake of thinking that taxis over here operate the same as in other countries. As in, they stop when empty and go anywhere you direct them to as long as they get paid. (They don't go anywhere, and often ignore you unless you're standing in an airport or mall queue.)

I walked from my bank in Deira to Dubai's river, caught a ferry to the other side, went through the Arab bazaar on that side, followed at least a dozen different streets and finally got to my destination in the heart of Bur Dubai where all the malls are located. And I only walked so far in that stupid ass heat and humidity instead of going to the nearest mall, because I thought "if I go in the desired direction grabbing a taxi will happen at some point".

It fucking didn't. :mad:

13. omega

omega Very Tilted

I can tie a knot with a cherry stem
    I can tell you about leif erickson
    I know all the worlds to de colores
    And I'm proud to be an American
    -The Flobots

14. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

I know a ton of completely useless knowledge...is that a talent or WAY to much time watching the Discover channel?

15. GeneticShift

Little bit of both. :) I'm the same way. But it will come in handy when Jeopardy! FINALLY ACCEPTS MY APPLICATION. :D

16. Ozmanitis

You know, I would play Jeopardy, But its rude to answer a question with a question. :D

17. GeneticShift

I'm pretty sure you're answering an answer with a question. :p

18. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I can coin a phrase. To prove this, I coined one twenty or so years ago "What's mine is yours and what's yours is yours" I had never heard it before so I suspected it might be original. I was in a group setting when I first came out with it (describing my relationship with a previous S/O) I heard it repeated back to me 5 or 6 years later and smiled. I still hear it occasionally. Was I the first to ever come up with it? I have no idea. I have this odd obsession about saying things in an original and unusual way so maybe.

I can write a song lyric in perfect meter without music or melody.
    I can talk my way into or out of almost any situation.
    I can create symphonies in my head.

19. Ozmanitis

Well, it's obvious playing Jeopardy is NOT one of my pointless talents. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  20. GeneticShift

Forgot to add: I can also write new, situation appropriate song lyrics to an existing song or melody. Ask ThePriseInferno , I'm pretty good at it. :)