1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What is your pointless talent?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GeneticShift, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I love a good pastiche!

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I can name that tune in one note.

...no, seriously, I can. I wish I could profit off that. My musical/pop culture knowledge is ridiculous, but completely and totally useless.

3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I too am very good with maps and I don't get lost. I am most uncomfortable when I don't know where I am (which only happens when I am in a new city and haven't yet oriented myself. Once oriented, all is well in the world).

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Making analogies - I'm really good at describing abstract concepts and making them relatable to people.
    • Pointing out perspectives and ideas that most don't take account of...or forget to.
    • Finding something meaningful in anything and everything.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Raghnar

Raghnar Getting Tilted

Well ok... but drosophilae are like pointlike object for me!!
    Here's another talent, I know latin, but I'm italian, and almost comes with the package...

And about oriented like talents, I think general good orientation is pretty useful, expecially for common travellers... But mine is pretty useless: I think that my orientation works as "pass tracking" counting subconsciusly passes and keeping a virtual "compass" in mind...
    The problem is that is only applicable if walking (not in car!), and only for not to big/confusing cities... e.g. I have a splendidly good orientation sense in the maze city that is Venice (only if I'm not too much distracted, that in Venice comes pretty easy...), but I'm hopeless in my city Milan since streets are slightly divergent and miles long...

Another one is that I've pretty good grasp with "what if" stories... since childhood I tried to answer those great "what if" questions, like "what if Carthago won the war against romans, we should still have bidet?" and "if nutella was never invented, what will be the menial food prize for good children?"...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  6. Cwtch38

Cwtch38 Bat Shit Crazy

my talent is that I can talk to total strangers and suddenly get their life stories out of them, I have been asked many times if I was a policeman or detective as I am so good at extracting information from people before they realise they have just divulged something gross or embarrassing.
    I think this stems from my job and that I meet so many new people every day that I am completely comfortable making conversation. Others have said that they just feel an urge to share everything with me.
    This could also explain why so many of the dates I went on turned weird. :)

7. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Always rehearsing in my head, future events.

8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If I drive someplace, I can dive that route from memory the next time.

I'm a guy and can have multiple orgasms.

9. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Oh yeah, I have an amazing talent of pissing off my kids.

10. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Every job I've ever had required me to have eyes in the back of my head, 3 pairs of hands, a filing cabinet at the tip of my tongue and the ability to read the boss's mind. I must have possessed all these talents as I was never fired for lack of these abilities.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Making nerdy references/allegories in virtually any situation.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

like craven, I am an excellent drinker.
    and I can shake my booty in time to the rhythm without looking like an awkward white person.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

This sounds to me like the basic necessities a teacher needs. How are these pointless unless you don't utilize them?

14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I can tie a cherry stem into a knot using my tongue, and though I haven't tried it recently I used to be able to fold a paper airplane that way as well provided the paper didn't dissolve. You'd think unwrapping a starbucks in my mouth and taking out a paper airplane would impress more girls.
    Almost all of my joints will dislocate readily... but not in any way that is useful to me.
    I continually discover new ways to make farting noises, often by accident.
    High tolerance for pain. You'd think it's useful but really there's no point to being able to leave your hand in a bowl of icy saltwater until you get frostbite.

Pre-hernias:
    my legs were almost a second pair of arms
    I could contort to do just about anything without getting out of my desk (or car/airplane/bus seat). Actually this might count as legitimately useful.
    Standing... sounds crazy until you actually try standing around waiting for many hours. No-go with a collapsed arch though.
    Durability. I wasn't strong mind you, just I kept getting up after running facefirst into a wall, crashing my bike, or catching a soccerball with my face for the third time.

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Mine is being able to identify songs by their bass line, even in a crowded, noisy bar. I've had people get up to double-check that I'm right by walking to the nearest speaker and putting their ear up to it. Invariably, I am. I had a boyfriend in college who liked to pit me against others in name that tune. We won a lot of bets.

16. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Because they aren't directly utilized, it just happens...it's for the moment.
    If I was a teacher, then it may not be pointless.

17. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Everything I do is pointless. Do I win?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Cayvmann: I like your answer best thus far as it was the answer I was considering giving. You first tho'--you are the winner! ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

genetically, I have 13/20 vision and can read a standard novel from about 30 feet away. also, i'm 38 and have never had a cavity in my teeth.

i write and swing a bat/tennis racket left handed, but kick and throw a frisbee right sided.

i bowl without using the finger holes and am good enough to be in a league.

i am clumsy enough to often begin to drop something, but dexterous enough to recover or catch my bungle 90% of the time.

i have an uncanny psychic radio when it comes to connecting my friends with other people or things that help them along their chosen path in life even if it's completely outside my general repetoire.