1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

what job would you have done??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Jun 7, 2014.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

there is a therad entitled what do you do? meaning what do you do for a living, job.

my question is this, if you had it to do all over again what would you have done?
    i have 2
    my first one is someting with numbers, maybe an accountant. i am very good with numbers. my mind seems to work differntly than others. when i see numbers mi mind can do get the same answer as others with less work. not sure what other jobs are number jobs.
    my second one would be a wildlife conservationsist, also known as a game wardon. i think it would be cool to be in the out doors all the time. as much as i like to hunt and fish and be out doors it would be an adventure.

What about you??

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I didn't choose the digital thug life, it chose me.

I can't imagine a career that I would rather be in right now. I think that means I did good.

• Like Like x 5
  3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i think i did good too with what i do, i have same issue, it chose me. i didnt choose it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I like what I do. But if I could do anything with success, I'd be an artist. I just wouldn't want me story to end like Jackson Pollock's.

Speaking of, it's time to watch Pollock again. I watch every June.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

It's hard to imagine a better job (for me) than the one I already have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Most plausibly, professional violinist. Ideally with a secure position in a reputable symphony orchestra.

And, maybe, it could've happened. But it didn't.

7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I would've liked to have been a professional baseball player or policeman like I wanted as a kid. Maybe even a chef like I dreamed of as a teen.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I'm actually pretty happy as a rabbi. But I'm always scraping to get by, since I teach, and don't want a pulpit. If I knew as a kid what I know now, I would've gotten a Master's in Education and teacher's certification right after college, so I could either double at Jewish schools teaching English and History as well as Jewish Studies, or so that I could teach at public schools when Jewish schools had no openings.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Marketing manager or financial advisor, but probably more along the lines of human resources.

If only I weren't so reluctant to work with numbers and people.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

There two things that I would have done:

1) Actor
    2) writer/director for film and TV.

I used to act a lot but never felt I was good enough to make a living doing it. Was paid to do voice work in University.

Did do some writing and directing but didn't enjoy writing as much as I would have to do it for a living.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

If I had known earlier that I wanted to be a physical therapist, I'd have done my undergraduate degree in athletic training, so I could go work for Cirque du Soleil now that I have my DPT. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going back to get a second bachelor's degree now that I am finished with a doctorate!

I might also have pursued physical/biological anthropology if I had continued my anthro studies from undergrad. I loved the field but I focused on archaeology instead, which is not something I'd like a career in.

• Like Like x 2
  12. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

If I hadn't gotten into chemistry, I would've been a psychologist or a writer

• Like Like x 1
  13. omega

omega Very Tilted

I went through the academy at age 38.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made key choices the same as I did, just a few years sooner each time. Where I am at 44 I could have been at ten years ago if I'd been more strategic.

I think that I'm within four or five years of being at that point where I have sufficient momentum and name recognition in my industry that my success in my career stops being related to individual projects and starts being self sustaining and reputational. Had I grasped the importance of this sooner, I'd be there by now.

I love what I do, and I'm just starting to realise I'm pretty good at it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I wouldn't change a thing. My balance of experiences and education make me a better teacher, and I wouldn't want any other job. My job is my passion.

• Like Like x 2
  16. WhoKnows122 New Member

If I had it all to do over again, I would have joined the Army when I was younger. I had always wanted to join when I was younger but school, a kid, etc. all got in the way. I ended up finally joining but later in the game - almost at thirty years old. I can't believe what I have been missing out on. On the other hand, a lot of the younger guys that I serve with are not enjoying their experience in the least. I may not have enjoyed myself as much as I do now now that I have some life experience with which I can compare the Army lifestyle against.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The primary three are...
    • Architect - interned at Cesar Pelli (thank god I found it tedious to redo others' work, as many are now out of work)
    • Physicist - although this is still a serious goal...when I grow up. (ok, get PhD)
    • Businessman - still may do this too...IT services and Tech inventions.
    If I was independently wealthy, I'd be a full Artist.
    Briefly did Modelling...
    I've also gone thru the process of Law, Genetics, Stock Broker
    I've been interested in Psychology & Philosophy, but haven't followed up far job-wise, other than some classes
    and in my fantasies Movie Producer (meaning the Exec, who picks the script and calls the shots)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm doing it now. We'll, not the grad student thing, but I should graduate in 4 months with my PhD in Clinical Psychology.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Sunshine

Sunshine Vertical

If I could do it all over again, I'd have remained in dance classes and done something with that......... or follow my childhood dream once I stopped dancing, and become a teacher

• Like Like x 1
  20. redux

redux Very Tilted

My career goal was to be a public interest lobbyist. After two years in the trenches of Capitol Hill competing against big money interests, I was burned out. And it couldn't have worked out better. I found the right public interest niche with less politics and greater satisfaction...and no desire to look back.